MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
TRABANINO
Hi,
I'm building an Oil Gauge with two stepper motors, one for Oil Pressure and one for Oil temperature. I'm using Mobiflight + Arduino Mega + Shield L293D. My steppers are connected to Arduino Mega throughout the Shield L293D at (M1, M2) and (M3, M4). When I set Mobiflight it asks for pins. Which pins do I have to select? The only thing I know is that I am connected to M1,M2 and M3,M4.

Note: I already tested my steppers in Arduino IDE and they work well.
I will appreciate some help. Thanks
2020-06-03 23:20
pizman82
Supporter
Hi
Crazy.... Two requests for steppers within 1 week. No Requests the Years before :O https://www.mobiflight.com/forum/topic/712.html

Basicly.... You try to use a other hardware as the recommend one..... Mobiflight is based on ULN2003 Controllers for Stepper Motors.
It´s no mater that you confirm the Motor/board run well by a Arduino Sketch. Cause if you use Mobiflight then you finaly need a controller that "understand" the signals sent by Mobiflight..... And those signals can be different as the data that is sent by your Arduino sketch !

Solution:

1. If you still in planing phase then think about a swap to supported hardware. Thats the most easy way ( aslong you not build the gauge already)

2. Test and hope your lucky that the used Controller work simmular to the ULN If it got also 4 Input lines maybe it work same way.

3. Read Datasheets from ULN and your controller and learn how they work.... Maybe you can use some tricky systems like combine 2 Lines to 1 line ( like the guys in the linked topic do with there easydriver boards).
Alternate to read and learn is simply Testing trial and error.

4. Try to "mix" the systems..... Use your current Motors.... But try to run them with a ULN Board. In case this board is compatible with MF you just need to make the Motor compatible instead of 2 Elements at the current moment.

5. Wait and hope a other users still do this and tell you the information ( i not think a other guy did the same already)

Last Note:
For the Future THINK before BUILD. If you would plan your board directly with the supported motor you would have no problem yet.
Good Luck !
2020-06-04 05:07
TRABANINO
Thanks for your answer. Ok, it's a hardware issue then. I will try a Step Motor 28BYJ-48 with its driver circuit board. This one can be connected direct to the Arduino Mega board.
Happily it does affect my gauge pieces only the PCB which I haven't done yet. I love Mobiflight but I still have to learn about it, specially compatibility. Thanks again.
2020-06-04 18:03
pizman82
Supporter
Thats pretty easy....

Buttons : Nearly every Button with a 1 Chanel Logic (On-Off) work. Multichannel ( On-Off-On) or (On-On-On) work to cause the seen simple as multiple buttons.
Switches: Same like Buttons
Roatary Switches: All Multiswitches with a common GRD work fine like cheap 12 Pos Lorins
Encoder: All Encoders with a 2 Bit Logic work .... You can use 1:1 2:1 and 4:1 Encoders . Also the KY040 work.... But its expensive and difficult we NOT recommend it.

LCD: Displays with a IC2 Board work. 16x2 and 20x2 or x4 work fine.... The 8x2 need some improvement. If possible use a Display with changeable adresses via Jumpers.
7SEG: MAX7219 Based Chips is the ONLY supported System.... Also the Displays itself MUST be common Cathode !
LED: Single LED work fine.... RGB controll is not supported.... But you can run a RGB if you connect it as 3 individueal LED´s

Servo: SG90 is tested by myself.... Pretty sure lots of other Servos work but i can not garantee
Stepper: Motors based on ULN2003 work fine..... Like in Servo a lot of other can work but we never try out.

NOTE Combine LED/Button elements must be indipendet.... So the LED got its own Pins and is not powered through the shifting circuit ( Mostly in Car Hifi Hardware)
Good Luck !
2020-06-05 06:08
icon