MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

Go to page 1Go to page 012Go to page 2Go to page 2
souza
Supporter
hy everyone...i could inform that i performed some tests using the stepper motor x27-168 and the EASY DRIVER, stepper drive motor, and the tests was passed sucessfuly, i am using rhe standart 28byj-48 motor, these work fine, but some time a space to gauge is limited, or is no necessary to use hight torque motor, we can use a small one, like the x27-168,the problem was these motor is driver by another stepper drive, i dont find to buy the specific stepper motor drive, for other hands, i did a test with the easy driver, these driver can operate a stepper motor or DC motor, the advantage these stepper is that you can control the x27-168 using only 2 wires, for these, when you add the stepper on the MF panel, only repeat the wire code, eg, pin1=22, pin2=22, pin3=23, pin4=23...and is no necessary use the PWM pins.
i hope helped someone.
SIMULAR É...
2017-05-06 00:51
DocMoebiuz
That's really good to know. I got the same stepper here but never had the time to try. Thanks!
Have a great day!
Sebastian

MobiFlight - Simply build your own home cockpit for your favorite flight sim - MSFS2020, FSX, Prepar3D (FSUIPC), X-Plane (XPUIPC)
2017-05-06 00:59
pizman82
Supporter
Hi
I not work with that technic.... But i recommend to elimnate possible issues first....

To check if your config is simply wrong or your setup is wrong please make the testing process....

Set your Motor.... Open a Config and use Testing Mode ! Find out the Stepcount.... For example 2048 4096 and so on.
Then use for Sim for example "1000" and for Stepper the number you find out before ( For example 2048)
Now use testing value 500 and klick test Button....
Does the Motor run smoothe..... Any Problems ??

I just want to find out if problems are realy existing or only in case of a wrong entry /values in config settings !
Good Luck !
2018-03-20 00:43
crazypilot_uk
Hi Souza,
Do you have a wiring diagram for your setup using the X27-168 and easy driver ? I've just ordered a batch of these for my king air engine panel and would like to try this stepper out.

Any help would be much appreciated.
2018-12-07 12:37
Apeshaft
Supporter
Hi all,

I am also looking in to create light and easy to assemble gauges using the X27.168 stepper motor.
I have aquired a driver similar to this:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/14451

The problem is... I have no idea how to connect the driver to the Arduino board or how to connect the driver to the motor. Any help would be much appreciated!
2019-02-04 21:19
pizman82
Supporter
Hi.
I already get no experience with that stuff....

But if souza said he can work with it , then it should be possible.

NOTE: Your linked Controller is NOT the same like souza said !
I think he talkes about THIS https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12779

So.... I don´t know if "your" controller is compatible. The linked one "Easy Driver" should be work .... But i already don´t know if this is 100% the same like souza use.

Maby souza himself read this topic and can reply detailed information to you !
Good Luck !
2019-02-05 04:37
Apeshaft
Supporter
Hi Pizman,

I know the drivers are not the same,
but I found this about the X27.168:
"Since this is a bi-polar stepper motor you do need to have some sort of H-Bridge to drive it. A L293D or TB6612 will do the job nicely."

I will take another look at this and see if can make something out of it.
2019-02-05 04:53
pizman82
Supporter
Again sorry i can´t give you a clear awnser.... Pretty shure Stephan have more informations.

What confusing me is the missing word "Stepper" in your controller.
In the discription ther is written " Direction is controlled by 2 Pins and Speed by PVM "
I miss stepper facts like setting of Full/Half/Quarter Steps.

Maby my eperience is absolutly poor here but on first view this looks like a controller for a Motor (Direction/Speed) but not for a Stepper where the Chip must coordinate the "Steps"
Good Luck !
2019-02-05 06:56
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi,

this stepper motor X27.168 has a limitation: its rotation angle is only 315 degrees and not 360 degrees, as is usual with steppers. This 316 degrees are partet in 600 steps, so you have 1,9 steps per degree which is nearly a half-step. A controller is to be purchased separatly.

The internal resistance of the coil is 260 ohms, which corresponds to 20mA at 5V.

There is this stepper with controller from Adafruit and cost about 11 €, which is about $ 15

The max. Radial force, which may act on the axis of rotation, is 12N. So this is a fairly weak stepper, but it can serve as an axis for "normal" pointers

I found my informations here: https://www.exp-tech.de/motoren/schrittmotoren/7980/automotiver-gauge-schrittmotor-x27.168
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-02-06 00:37
pierclav
Supporter
I just finished the first gauge for my overhead (EGT) with an EasyDriver board and a X27.168 stepper as per Simular É's information. It took a bit of fiddling with the calibration as I am not exactly a stepper ninja but it works like a charm. Only 2 Arduino outputs are required (plus VCC and GND) and the needle movement is smooth. These stepper are very light so they can just be glued to the back of the dial.

One drawback is that the shaft is only 1mm. I inserted a short piece of 3mm tubing over the short shoulder surrounding the shaft to mount the needle.

The 315-degree issue can be solved by cutting off the mechanical stop: https://guy.carpenter.id.au/gaugette/2012/04/04/pulling-out-the-stops/
2020-05-25 13:42
Caspajack
Hi pierclav, that's very interesting and good to hear.

I've been struggling with these components for quite some time but have been unable to get them to work properly.

Can you tell me or better still show a diagram of how you connected them, (that's the motor, the EasyDriver board and the Arduino; also what settings you used in the MobiFlight connector? I'm sure there are many more users out there that would be grateful for this information.

To share some of my own information, I have designed a circuit board for the motor that includes LED backlighting, and I've 3D printed needles with a collar that fits tightly onto the 1mm shaft. These currently cover all gauges in the 737 overhead panels and the main instruments in the Cessna 172.

Look forward to hearing from you.

John.
2020-05-26 03:10
pizman82
Supporter
iconpierclav:

Only 2 Arduino outputs are required (plus VCC and GND) and the needle movement is smooth.

Can you explane this more detailed.... How do you define 2 Pins in a mask that require 4 Pins normaly ???

In the old postings souza said...
iconsouza:

only repeat the wire code, eg, pin1=22, pin2=22, pin3=23, pin4=23...

In "theory" this should not be possible cause Mobiflight normaly not allow to choose for a Pin that is already in use. BUT i test this some minutes ago and basicly see this work (whatever why) ..... So i was be able to set Pin1 and Pin2 of Stepper in Settings to th SAME Pin.
In case i not own the motor i not test the function itself.... I just confirm its possible to set 2 Entrys to same Mega Pin !

NOTE: In case this is technical against the Basic Mobiflight Logic i can not garantee if this occure maby in other issues. For example non detecting Boards in case Firmware will maybe see a Error in the future, cause two functions are combined to one pin.

Please report experience here.
Good Luck !
2020-05-26 04:30
pierclav
Supporter
Hi John and Pizman,

I posted the info: https://imgur.com/a/aNM0CZw

A pin number does not show up on the drop down list if it was already selected but the value can be overwritten.

For EGT, I am using a free FSUIPC offset (32 bit FLOAT) for the temperature value I get from Prosim737.

Good luck,

Pierre
2020-05-26 04:46
Caspajack
Thanks for the information Pierre,
In fact that's the exact pin assignments I made, but the motor runs really slowly regardless of the settings in the display tab.

What settings did you set in the FSUIPC and display tabs for the EGT gauge? That might give me a clue where I'm going wrong.
I tried a few different combinations, but running the test resulted in the same issue with the motor running really slowly.

Regards
John,
2020-05-27 01:53
pierclav
Supporter
I forgot to upload the display tab yesterday. I just added it

https://imgur.com/a/aNM0CZw
2020-05-27 02:08
Go to page 1Go to page 012Go to page 2Go to page 2