MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
mikeb1028
Supporter
I have returned to MobiFlight and building a center pedestal with 4 radios and Transponder for X-Plane (currently). I am using a MEGA 2560. Each radio includes (2) 8-digit/7-segment LED modules. And the transponder uses (1) 8-digit/7-segment LED module (on its own MEGA pins)

I want to add a 20x4 LCD module and I set it up in MobiFlight. MobiFlight has only 4 config values in the display setup for the LCD. Can the devs possibly update this to include more placeholders?

In the radio example, even though I'm using the LED's... but someone may use a similar LCD to show radio frequencies. With this current version of MF, you would only be able to display an active channel and standby for 2 radios since that takes up all 4 placeholders.

I am interested in using the LCD to show other data, such as autopilot (Altitude, IAS, NAV, Approach, Course, V/S.... these values minus the headings/text, should fit on the 20x4, but with the limits in MF, it is not possible. Another use could be flaps position, lights status or others. But not with the placeholder limit.

Thanks!
Mike
2018-08-03 21:02
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Mike,

I can remember that in the past we had a discussion about this. Unfortunately, I can not find the topic at the moment. I think Sebastian can tell you something about this.
Grüße,
Stephan
2018-08-04 12:43
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Mike,

I had to think about your problem for a while. My last posting was just a short "from the waist", but the solution is described.
Please take a look at this tutorial: https://www.mobiflight.com/forum/topic/838.html

This tutorial is in german and you can translate it with the google translator.

There is before Figure 8:

Below "Use other config values ​​and define additional placeholders" you will find these 4 lines.

Here you proceed as follows:
Depending on how many lines you have or what you want to display (this is not line-dependent!), You can now proceed as follows:

Please open the respective fields in the middle. There you will find your previously created configs again.
Right next to it you see the valid placeholder, you can assign the respective config.

When defining the placeholders, please make sure that no character is used that otherwise appears in the text of the display, otherwise it will be recognized as a placeholder. So characters from A-Z e.g. avoid.

Also remember that you can omit the $+10000 in the Transform line by typing e.g. at the frequencies in the display the leading 1 already enter, so not ###. ## but 1##. ##.

Please try this out and report.
Grüße,
Stephan
2018-08-04 13:16
mikeb1028
Supporter
Thank you for the quick reply and help.

I am interested in placing more than 4 config values. I do not see a way to add more than 4 placeholders and values.

eg: (autopilot info)
CRS
IAS
HDG
ALT
V/S

(or some annunciators)

In the image, Picture 8, it shows COM1, COM2, NAV1 & NAV2. If I wanted to ADD another placeholder for another field, there is no way to do this. No?
2018-08-05 05:32
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Mike,

I have to correct myself here. After consultation with Sebastian, a maximum of 5 variables can be set per LCD.
The 5th variable can be set under the tab FSUIPC and there it can only be "$". This variable must then appear in the display at the desired location. See tutorial before picture 11 (https://www.mobiflight.com/forum/topic/838.html)
Grüße,
Stephan
2018-08-05 09:44
mikeb1028
Supporter
Thank you again!

I suppose there is no need to modify the software to allow more variables and placeholders. Or doing this would create a delay of sorts sending the data to the software and replacing the placeholders in real time. If a 20x4 display contained 5 digits for COM1 and COM2, then 6 digits for NAV1 and NAV2, that is a lot to receive with all the other data. It would be "nice" to have, but probably not worth the task.

I can find a use for just 4 or 5 on the LCD. Thanks for the help and information!

Mike
2018-08-06 05:59
paul_max
Supporter
A 40x4 LCD is affordable and capable of 8 or more values. The LCD hardware can also do smooth updates.

We just need to keep track of popular LCD sizes, to see if MB might need alternative solutions.

For example, Air Manager allows a user to format a message line with any number of values using a script function. That's outside the scope of MB, but very flexible.

The Boeing 787 uses larger LCD text displays for comms, approx 10x22. That would require a very different GUI to configure the LCD.

Cheers Paul
2018-08-06 07:31
pizman82
Supporter
Hi.
Sorry for late reply.

as i know in tha past Sebastian limit this, to make it more easy for implement th new GUI Part. Also he think ( And me too) that a use of 4 (5) Values is mostly enough for 99% of situations. Most user work with 20/2 or 20/4 With a Text Label like " COM1 ACT: 123.45 " there is amaby 14 Diggits in Use .... So no space for a Second Value in same Line.
Thats why Sebastian said.... 1 Placeholder per line.... So 4 Placeholder in a 4 Line Display shuld be Enough.

Solution:

1. Implement more Placeholders
I Plan in the future for a complete new feature. Maby this will also increase number of Placeholder. BUT I alredy think for LCD Displays 4 are enough.
We must talk to Sebastian if this is basicly possible in a easy way.

2. Own logic via STRING Variable.
I Not try out myself but basicly the LCD should be possible to show a STRING Value. ( Not know the length limitation)
If Yes then it should be possible to write multiple Datas into a custom string ( Free Offset Value) by a Lua script.

For Example we read MCP ALT, HDG and SPEED and write this data to a String like AAAAAHHHSSS . ( For 11000 Ft Heading 180 and Speed 220kn it is "11000180220" )

Now we READ this String in a Output Config and use this for a Placeholder in a LCD Display Config.
For Example Placeholder for this is % Symbol the Display Input show this: ALT: %%%%% HDG: %%% SPD: %%%
The trick is.... With a use of 11 time % it should show always the correct part of the String on the correct spot!

Maby i´m Wrong !!! Maby a new Line of %%% will show the value again from 1. Position.... Then it will not work !
But: If there is no Limitation of length or a high number of possible diggits here we can use the "Text" lso in String.
then the Display will be set simply to %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% and the String include the "Words" too.

Somebody need to try out this in the future !
Good Luck !
2018-08-22 07:03
icon