MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
Binki
Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a solution available for making own CDU. The input signal via buttons is a pretty straight forward, but I'm wondering if there is a solution for a display option i.e. what hardware (LCD) to use; how to connect it to MobiFlight; how MobiFlight can can send signals etc. I've searched the index but count not find anywhere if this has been discussed already and solution available.

2018-07-09 23:25
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Binki,

try this link: https://www.mobiflight.com/forum/topic/838.html

The language is german, but you can translate it with the google-translator.
Grüße,
Stephan
2018-07-10 00:39
Binki
Thanks Stephan for getting back to quickly :), I'll review the link.
2018-07-10 10:28
Binki
Hi Stephan, I'm not sure if I need to create a new subject or continue with the same one. Let me know please. My follow up question is below, still related to the DYI DCU.

I had a chance to review the link you have provided. It appears that the solution suggested requires LC display that has an I2C interface that can display up to 4 lines only. I'm wondering if I can use a larger (3.2" or 3.5" display) which can contain more display space. Llinks to displays I have in mind is provided below. Is there an solution available for such units, both for Arduino Mega?

https://www.banggood.com/3_5-Inch-TFT-Color-Screen-Module-320-X-480-Support-Arduino-UNO-Mega2560-p-1022298.html?p=DQ30066511122014069J&utm_campaign=educ8stv&utm_content=huangwenjie&cur_warehouse=CN

https://www.banggood.com/3_2-Inch-320-X-480-TFT-LCD-Display-Module-Support-Arduino-Mega2560-p-963574.html?p=DQ30066511122014069J&utm_campaign=educ8stv&utm_content=huangwenjie

2018-07-14 05:30
StephanHo
Supporter
Hello Binki,

I think your request fits here quite well to the topic.

I have to explain something to your wish:

It is correct that Mobiflight can handle the I2C interface. However, this is not all-inclusive.
There are differences in the displays.

Some are row and column oriented (e.g., 20x4, 16x2, etc) by mapping complete characters. However, these characters are limited to the ASCII character set. Mobiflight is designed for these LC displays.

The ones you mention in your links are full-graphic displays. Although these include the ASCII character set, the characters are pixel-oriented, variable in size and color, and can display graphics pixel by pixel.
This procedure is more complex and not provided in Mobiflight. I'm not a developer, but I can well imagine that the implementation is more complex.
This is also dependent on the libraries involved. On the other hand, I can not imagine that such a display for the flight simulation really needs, even if one or the other users come up with useful application examples.

Momentary fact is, that the graphic displays addressed by you are not supported. Whether Mobiflight is extended to a later date, I can not say.

Remember, Mobiflight can do a lot, but not everything. Your question certainly has its justification, but unfortunately there is no other answer.
Grüße,
Stephan
2018-07-14 10:51
pizman82
Supporter
Hi Binki.

About your request Stephan told everything .... The "Screen" LCD are not supported and planed for the future at the moment.

Basicly you should think about another thing..... Does your AddOn basicly export those Data ? I Only know PMDG at the moment that do so.

Most people that build a CDU normaly not "Read" the Raw Data from the Sim and programm it on the screen..... Normaly they use the 2D Panel from the CDU ( You can open in FSX for example) and move it to the screen of the CDU.
So the CDU Display is basicly a HDMI (or VGA/DVI) screen that is connected to your Grafic Card.

Here its again a question of your AddOn..... Professional AddOns have all Displays in a Self Running Window ( Or better explaned in a self running Programm) . So you can simply move the Window to the "new" Screen.
HigEnd AddOns ( and Jeehell Airbus for example) allow you to run those elements also via Network. That means FSX run on PC1 .... the CDU Display Software run on PC2 .... And there you connect the CDU Screen of your Cockpit as "Screen TWO" and you open the Window and maximise it on that "screen".

ALTERNATE:
If you realy like to work with Raw Data ( like PMDG supoorts) you need to write a own Programm that READ Data from PMDG Offset.... Calculate it and send it to a LCD Display on a Mega Board ( In That case Mobiflight is not used an on Mega there is the Firmware you need to controll the LCD Display)
MABY there exist premade solutions for that.... Google and request in Cockpitbuilder Boards !
Good Luck !
2018-07-18 04:59
icon