MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
oscarbcn78
Hi,

I am writing to this forum because I have problems configuring my 16x2 display.

I have Arduino Mega 2560. I have installed Arduino IDE and MobiFlight Connector, everything is correct. "FSUIPC" and "Modules" indications show green ticks.

The electrical connections are exactly this:

https://howtomechatronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/LCD-Display_Transparent03.png

I have the display configured for COM1 frequency following youtube tutorials, like this one (it´s in Spanish):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja0tvTbaEnI

The potentiometer works well, the display dims and brightens correctly.

When I press "Test" in the main screen the corresponding line doesn´t blink. Could it be some problem with my electric connections?
When I press "Test" inside the "Display" screen nothing happens on the display.

Please could you help me?

Thank you so much!!
2019-03-10 20:06
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi oscarbcn,

please look at this topic: https://www.mobiflight.com/forum/topic/838.html

Here is decribed how to connect a 16x2 or 16x4 LCD to Mobiflight. It's in german but you can translate it in your language.

The way you connected your LCD is wrong. Please first read the topic above.
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-03-11 02:08
pizman82
Supporter
Just to give a important Input at beginning.....

Mobiflight support LCD Displays ONLY with IC2 Boards. ( Not via Direct Connections like yours )

Check Stephans Link..... There is all explaned......
Good Luck !
2019-03-11 11:36
oscarbcn78
Yes, I follow the same instructions as in the link you gave me. But what I find strange is that the "Most Complete Kit" from Arduino comes with the LCD screen (and a lot of other pieces) but without any I2C card, so I think it should work without it... In fact, I2C cards do the same as the electrical connections I make by hand...
2019-03-11 20:29
oscarbcn78
However, I would like to configure MobiFlight to get FLT ALT, LAND ALT, and electric panel information from the 737NGX overhead. Is this possible with the current version?

Thank you.
2019-03-11 21:21
StephanHo
Supporter
It should not be a problem to buy the interace single for little money.

Concerning your last question: yes. But for FLT ALT and LAND ALT you need encoders not normal switches.
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-03-11 22:17
pizman82
Supporter
A "Arduino Starter Kit" is NOT a recommend hardware to build cockpits.
Those kits are for learning programming. Those kits are basicly to write own scripts.
Most kits for example not include a Max7219 Chip.... They work with other Chips !

Mobiflight is designed to create Cockpits in a Easy way (Without own programming) . In that case Sebastion choose ONE KIND of Hardware that is supported,
In fact of LCD Displays he choose IC2 based displays. So if you like to use it you simply must buy it to work with mobiflight !
(Or you buy just the IC2 Board single and wire your LCD Display to the board manualy instead of wire it direct to Arduino ..... then you can use your LCD Display again in the future)

About the Data Question.

Mobiflight support LCD Display output of STRING and INT (FLOAT) . So.... EVERY Data you can Readout from Sim can be shown on your Display !
Only Limit (At the moment) is a number of max 5 Configs on ONE LCD Display.
So you can for example show ALT, HDG, SPD, CRS L and CRS R on a Display.... But not more like 5 individual Things.
Showing of for example Com1, Com1Stby , Com2, Com2Stby Nav1 , Nav1Stby, Nav2, Nav2Stby in ONE Display is NOT possible cause this are 8 Configs... Limit is as i said before FIVE !
Good Luck !
2019-03-11 23:29
oscarbcn78
Hi pizman82,

I don´t really have "Arduino Starter Kit", I have "The Arduino Most Complete Kit", which it comes with an Arduino Mega 2560 card, the same card you can buy separately in any electronics shop. The problem is that I should have to buy an extra I2C card because MobiFlight uses an I2C adress to comunicate with the display. So no problem, I will get that card and will go back to you soon!

Thank you to everybody!
2019-03-12 21:08
pizman82
Supporter
Just for information.

Those kids are cool to beginn but they are verry expensive and include a lot of stuff you not need for cockpits.

If you like to build your project its high recommend to order the parts in other ways.

For example a MEGA can be used also as a Chinese "Clone"....Not original Arduino but same system ( Mostly less then 8 US$ )
Same for Displays. You can order those 16x2 with IC2 already included for less then 5 US$
Good Luck !
2019-03-12 21:18
oscarbcn78
Yes, I wanted to have this kit in order to do other things, not just for flight simulation. Moreover, the kit costed me about 40 $, so it´s quite affordable taking into account that it includes the original Arduino Mega 2560...

The I2C card costs about 2 $, really cheap too.
2019-03-13 16:30
icon