MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
fasaso
Is it possible to connect 2 arduinos via serial in Mobiflight?
If yes how?
2017-10-15 00:40
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi fasaso,

welcome to MobiFlight!

You can connect a great number of arduinos to work for you.

Look this thread to know how: https://www.mobiflight.com/forum/topic/906.html
Grüße,
Stephan
2017-10-15 01:37
Binki
I think the below Q/A session comes close to what I'm trying to resolve. If there is a solution to it, please refer me to that particular section.

I'm trying to determine if two arduinos or more can be connected in serial connection mode/way (probably via TX/RX) so there is only one USB cable going to the computer rather than having each arduino connected to the computer via a sperate USB cable. I know many users us USB hub for that, but I'm wondering if a single USB cable be used.

Thanks in advance.
2020-06-06 23:51
pizman82
Supporter
At first please not reopen a 3 Year old Topic.

Second.... WHY ???

Why do you want handle comunication between 2 wires if you got USB..... Why do you like a difficult system data must be comunicate over multiple boards if you got USB ??
A Professional cockpit finaly only got 1-3 USB Cables to the computer..... And need no External Power if you use powered Hubs.
Mabye i not understand your intentions.... But from my point of view your system only have disadvantages and absolutly no benefit !

Overall.... Not Possible i think cause Mobiflight is based on COM Ports.... A Chain of Megas would use the same COM Port if i understand right !
Good Luck !
2020-06-07 14:27
Binki
My apology, I was under the impression that I could ask additional questions are related, but in the future I will create a separate question. Once this is resolved I can delete, my questions for this Q&A to conform to the forum rules. Let me know.

I'm trying to recreate a 737 CDU which has 69 buttons and few more LEDs, which will required at least 2 arduinos. In addition, the CDU will required a LCD display, which itslef will require 2 additional cables coming out. So if I would like to make the CDU portable and not install it permanently, I'll end up with at least 4 cables coming out of the CDU. Therefore, I was just wondering if there is an easy way to reduce the arduinos cables to 1 instead of two.

I have another question related to my dilemma. Do you know if there is a method to connect a bluethooth device of sort (example - HC-05 Bluetooth Module) to the arduino to make the connection between the arduinos and the computer wirelessly?

Thanks for you help.
Binki
2020-06-07 20:59
StephanHo
Supporter
Correctly.
Windows assigns a Com port to each USB interface. This COM port guarantees unique addressing via the USB bus. Coordinated data traffic would not be possible without this unique addressing. Each Mega has a USB interface and communication is only possible via this. This interface is therefore subject to the conventions of USB. Any other use is therefore not possible. The proposed RX / TX usage would not work under the aspect of a purely serial data transmission (if it were possible) because a logical addressing via parallel connected serial interfaces does not exist. I do not want to deepen this here.

If only one ( USB ) cable is to lead to the PC, one or more corresponding hubs are used beforehand to ensure this.

There may be Bluetooth shields that work with the Mega. However, these are not supported by MobiFlight. This also applies to WiFi / WLAN shields
Grüße,
Stephan
2020-06-07 22:56
icon