MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

FredrikH
Ok, understod :)

I have fixed name in both the mfmc and mcc file, the names were too long ;)

A problem I have noticed is that the Mobiflight is recognize a switch or button press when there is no presses ? Can see that in the debugger?

Game control: Razer Nostromo, Keyboard, Saitek Pro Flight X-56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S.
2018-08-21 10:16
StephanHo
Supporter
Yes, if you press a button for which Mobiflight detects a configuration, it will be displayed in the debugging window. This should be the case even if you do not operate a switch, but Mobiflight recognizes one. It will then be displayed.
However, it should not happen that a switch that is not operated is executed. That does not make sense. Is it always the same switch that is executed without having been pressed? If so, is it possible that the connection is not properly soldered / screwed there? Can something radiate there (monitor, motor, mobile phone)?
Grüße,
Stephan
2018-08-21 10:24
FredrikH
Hi

I think I have read about the power needed for the Led-Segment but can you tell:

1.)
Max power that a Mega board can drive safely?

2.)
The power needs of one Led-Segment?

The led-light i for 20mA, but you can lowering it by the slide?

3.)
Led display like:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/With-Without-IIC-I2C-2004-20X4-Character-LCD-Module-Display-Blue-Green-Arduino/263128525818?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20x4-LCD-2004-Character-Display-IIC-I2C-TWI-SPI-Serial-interface-Board-Module/201932533595?hash=item2f041def5b:g:VLsAAOSwK6RZIn4C

Best Fredrik

2018-08-29 20:31
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Fredrik,

1. A MEGA board can max drive 500mA. But you should drive it with less

2. Do you mean a single LED or a Segment of a 7-Segment-digit?
If you buy LEDs with high brightness ( >10000 mcd) then you can drive a LED with 6 - 12 mA (you should test the brightness)
The LED- segments from a 7-Segment LED on a MAX chip were drive with 40mA each. But the segments are multiplexed with a frequency of 1000Hz, so that the 40mA not fully
affect. You can reduce the power consumption if you change the 10kohms resistance (R1 - 103) on the MAX-board to 20 ... 47 kohms.

3. You do not mean LED but LCD. You should buy the first in the variant blue (without I2C) and a separate I2C module because the variant with the built in I2C module is without the possibility to program another I2C address. It's a bit more expensive but you are much more flexible if you use 2 LCD modules on one MEGA board.
Grüße,
Stephan
2018-08-29 22:48
FredrikH
iconStephanHo:

Hi Fredrik,

1. A MEGA board can max drive 500mA. But you should drive it with less

2. Do you mean a single LED or a Segment of a 7-Segment-digit?
If you buy LEDs with high brightness ( >10000 mcd) then you can drive a LED with 6 - 12 mA (you should test the brightness)
The LED- segments from a 7-Segment LED on a MAX chip were drive with 40mA each. But the segments are multiplexed with a frequency of 1000Hz, so that the 40mA not fully
affect. You can reduce the power consumption if you change the 10kohms resistance (R1 - 103) on the MAX-board to 20 ... 47 kohms.

3. You do not mean LED but LCD. You should buy the first in the variant blue (without I2C) and a separate I2C module because the variant with the built in I2C module is without the possibility to program another I2C address. It's a bit more expensive but you are much more flexible if you use 2 LCD modules on one MEGA board.

1 - I know and I will split the output omponents across several boards ;)

2 - The entire Led-Segment. Can I change the brightness in Mobiflight?
I need just a value for calculation :) 20mA +/- a few mA :)

3 - Mean LCD Display there will be no problem because I have just three LCDs :)

My goal is also to be able seeing the VC on the screen so that will save me alot of time.

Best Fredrik
[Last edited by FredrikH, 2018-08-30 13:50]

2018-08-30 11:43
StephanHo
Supporter
#1 is a good way

#2 if you install a new device the is a srction "global brightness". Here you can change the brightness via MF. But thereafter you have to put the devices again on the MEGA board an to restart MF.
Look into the Cessna 172 project of Albeagle. He uses a lot of MAX modules and as far as I know dit he not reduce the current.
Grüße,
Stephan
2018-08-30 18:32
FredrikH
Hi

I testing the LCD-Display now, playing with them :)

In both the self soldered and ready to use is showing a squar in the display not the text you meantion in the doc...?

The solder went Ok :)

Best Fredrik

2018-09-02 16:44
thatchi
The square of dots represent each characters. In order to see the actual character itself, you need to adjust the small potentiometer at the back for the contrast, then you can see each letter.
2018-09-02 19:35
FredrikH
The proble is whatever I do it just shows the square dots no "Mofiflght Rocks" or text at all?

2018-09-02 23:01
thatchi
First , check the back of each LCD i2c module , there should be 3 jumpers or solderable jumpers. Set each module for different address and set the appropriate address with MF. Google for how to for your i2c modules. Then adjust the contrast with each potentionmeter til you see characters, try to set the pots in middle first, then turn either left or right for desired contrast. Also remember only up to 2 LCD allowed.
2018-09-03 00:46
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi,

how to address an I2C module you shoul read this message:

https://www.mobiflight.com/forum/message/6028.html

To look which addresses are occuppied you should connect the LCD to a normal MEGA and run in the Arduino IDE a I2C Address search
Grüße,
Stephan
2018-09-03 18:45
FredrikH
Hi

I have noticed that the addded device "LCD" is gone if I close the setting window and reopen it --> "Arduino Mega tabb". No device for my LCD?

That is the first thing to solve, is not it?

Another question. When I am soledering a component I have always isolate the soldered part with elecric tejp for isolation. I maybe do not need it?
[Last edited by FredrikH, 2018-09-03 20:07]

2018-09-03 19:58
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Fredrik,

did you save your device-changes on the MEGA? Otherwise you loose your not saved devices when leaving the SETTINGS tab.
Second is you should save the same changes into a file on you HDD, so you can use these devices on other MEGAs (if needed).

If you do not completely remove "old" unneeded connections from your circuit, just disconnect them in case you want to use them again, isolating them to avoid short circuits is always safer. A short circuit could destroy components.
As long as solder joints are attached to fixed points (e.g., other boards), they do not need to be insulated. But if you need to extend a cable, it makes sense to insulate the solder point so that it can not cause a short circuit.
Grüße,
Stephan
2018-09-03 22:15
FredrikH
Hi

Will look at the display later :)

I have bought some: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-PAIR-25-Pin-DSUB-D-SUB-DB25-Pin-Male-Female-Soldered/272530244520?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Do I need isolate every pin after the soledring?

Best Fredrik

2018-09-08 10:51
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Fredrik,

the insulation should already be. But the connections are small sleeves. Strip the cables 3-4mm, twist them and push them into the sleeve, then solder. Then the cable insulation is very close to the terminal and does not need to be extra insulated.

But if you use ribbon cable, I would stabilize the cable ends after soldering with shrink tubing, so they do not break under mechanical stress.
Grüße,
Stephan
2018-09-08 12:18