MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

FredrikH
iconCmtePena:

iconFredrikH:

Hi

I almost have al I am needing to continue but can anyone tell more why running Arduino and mobiflight? More god argument why I should invest in arduino and mobiflight! :)

Best Fredrik

Fredrik and all the guys,

I want to start a project (Boeing radios) with Arduino and Mobi, and some photos will be very appreciated and will contribute so much.

Thank you all!

¨

Do you need a photoes of the design or what do you need?

Game control: Razer Nostromo, Keyboard, Saitek Pro Flight X-56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S.
2017-06-20 10:48
CmtePena
iconFredrikH:

Do you need a photoes of the design or what do you need?

FredrikH I think will be valid for me and for all photos that shows panels, connections, pieces used... finally, everything that could help us to understand the project. :)
Cmte. Pena
Keep Flying!
2017-06-20 12:55
pizman82
Supporter
Hi Guys.

First i don´t know what Airmanager is.... i just google and now i know i bit more about.

Here the question is again what you like. For me a Display never is the same like a real Element. A analog Instrument like a gauge for Motor RMP can be done with a screen and a Software like your AirManager.... But you can do this too with a Motor and a Real Gauge, a Backlabel and a lighted needle.
Real gauges are much more difficult like the Display solution..... But i like it more !

Maby a good indicator for this is the needed work to make it look relastic....... A 7 Segment Display is cheap, easy to config and also easy to mount. Here i would say it´s better.
Otherwise a Clock / Chronometer like in PMDG Boeing 737 is verry Difficult to rebuild..... Here a monitor solution is much better.
Same with the Analog Gyro Horizon from the Standby ( or from a Cessna). this is verry hard to build with motors..... A Display is better here, too.

To the Mounting itself.

Lots of professional cockpitbuilders work with a Multi Layer System.
The Front Panel you see in the Cockpit is just a lackered and engraved Acryl plate ( frosted glas 2-3 mm) . Normaly no switch or Display is Mounted on itself. Its just a cover with holes for the Switches or the Displays.
Behind this with a little space of 1-2 mm is a second plate (visible Acryl 2-4mm) . Here you mount the Displays for example and the Switches. Maby there are Encoders or Rotary Switches on this element too. ( Even how many layers you need you have to know WHERE you mount the elements)
Then theres another Plate with some space between in the "3rd. Floor" where you mount the Push Buttons and for example a 2.nd Encoder ( if you need a Dual encoder Combi)
Additional here you mount the backlight LED if needed.
then there is a last Section (maby a bit more thickness for more stability). Here you can mount the Arduino .... the Display Controller Tubes the USB Bridge and so on.

Here are some example Videos for this Multy Layer System. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjLqcqxQ_Dw ********** https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHqRiFZb2CQ

(Note: Here they use a PCB for last Layer.... You can Build this youreself too. In Your case for example the Displays are not wired to the PCB they are wired to empty MAX7219 Controllers that are fixed on the last layer.

Additional note: here you see the Displays not need a real "Panel holder" . They are simply glued in the 2. layer. If you not like glueing to remove the displays later you can glue a little Wood or plastic frame on this Layer and screw the Display ( through it´s PCB ) on this frame. then you can remove it if needed.

Hope this helps and show you the basic technic.
Good Luck !
2017-06-20 15:22
FredrikH
Hi

Thank´s, maybe new input how building the panel :rolleyes:

I am progressing the projekt; I am planing the elcroniccards right now. As I understand you can also use Arduino UNO board. You saied that mobiflight is not support analog pin but mobiflight is a sketch which you uppload to the board?

Can I modified the sketch so I can use the analog pins as a regular joystick inputs in windows?
Can I already bypass the analog pins into the fsuipc?

You wrote this: (The Message #5225)
"BUT. Additional to the standard functions Mobiflight allow us to simulate 256 "Virtual Joystick Buttons" ..... This mean a Button Push on your Arduino with Mobiflight send a command to FSUIPC and there it is shown like a Push/release of a Joystickbutton. With this "bypass" you can define a Button/Switch direct in FSUIPC ( Like it would be a real Joystick Input)".

That is way I asking?

Best Fredrik

2017-06-24 10:44
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Fredrik,

do YOURSELF the favour and do not use the UNO. UNO is at the moment only a beta-project and does not properly work like the MEGA. With the MEGA you won't have problems because the firmware has release-status. Further on is the price for a MEGA below of 10€ (MEGA-clone - look on Google, amazon or ebay)

It is right, MobiFlight does not support the analog pins so it is not possible (at the moment[?]) to use them with Mobiflight.
Instead you can use every joystick/HID-device for your analog devices i.e. this: http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=204. Note that these devices were not controlled by mobiflight but by FSX/FSUIPC

It is also right that you config your devices (buttons, switches, LEDs, stepper, servos, 7-segment-units) with mobiflight. With your settings you "modify" the firmware and MobiFlight generates a sketch which is uploaded to the MEGA (best case ;) ). The MobiFlight-Windows-Programm controls the firmware an does update the in- and outputs -simple expressed.
But you can not modifiy the MobiFlight Software/Sketch itself for your own purposes.
MobiFlight is an interface between you and your devices and FSUIPC. So you i.e. modifiy a button, MF recognizes this and give this information to FSUIPC. FSUIPC do then the according things on the FSX-side.

I think you won't get a complete system with this range of benefits like MobiFlight with this inexpensive price especially MF is Donation-Ware and you have only to pay your own hardware.
Read this thread: https://www.mobiflight.com/forum/topic/763.html Here you can see what is possible with MobiFlight

Hälsningar
Grüße,
Stephan
2017-06-24 12:39
pizman82
Supporter
iconFredrikH:

As I understand you can also use Arduino UNO board.

As Stepgan said... I high recommend to NOT use UNO. Again my old statement..... A Mega cost still 3-5$ MORE, but you Need 3 UNOs to get the Range of ONE Mega. AND..... Mega is working Fine already... UNO support maby never come final. ..... Simply throw the UNO in the trash and use a Mega !

iconFredrikH:

You saied that mobiflight is not support analog pin but mobiflight is a sketch which you uppload to the board?
Can I modified the sketch so I can use the analog pins as a regular joystick inputs in windows?
Can I already bypass the analog pins into the fsuipc?

Yes Mobiflight create just a sketch on the Mega.
Yes you can basicly rework this scetch..... But You also need to rework the Mobiflight Software itself to "see" the new data you add into the sketch
Using the Analog Pins direct like a Joystickcontroller AND the Digital Pins like a MobiflightBoard-Arduino is NOT Posible i think !
You have to Chioce... If Your Arduino is a Joystick then Mobiflight can not work.... If it´s a Mobiflight Board then Windows not see it like a Joystick !

iconFredrikH:

BUT. Additional to the standard functions Mobiflight allow us to simulate 256 "Virtual Joystick Buttons..... ......... That is way I asking?

NO. This "Bypass" is not a change in the Firmware... (Sorry for confusing discription)
This is just a hidden function in FSUIPC itself..... Mobiflight NOT send a Joystickbutton Command like a real Joystick. ( Like a Gamecontroller)
Mobiflight here send a Offset command like with every other Input ( Autobrake for example) . BUT Here we write not the Autobrake Offset.... We Write a special FSUIPC Offset that itself then simulate the VIRTUAL Joystickbutton. ....

Finaly again my friend..... I Understand you are a little be scared about using 2 Systems.... BUT. This is realy no problem to set additional to the Mobiflight Boards some other Boards that controlled direct via FSUIPC..... Mobiflight itself send every command to FSUIPC...... It´s no matter if you do this with mobiflight or direct.

I
Good Luck !
2017-06-26 01:12
FredrikH
Hi

I am planning the elecronic boards right now and all the pins, a lot of them ;) I will go for Mega 2560 and for analog the Leobodnar BU0836A. Question:

Can you use all the digital pins in mega from D0 - D53? I now the limits regarding the led diods and led-segments but what is if you need mix a led-diod together with led-segment?

Regading the price of Mega 2560: I like buying a new one not used ones. You can by clone and so on but I like for the best service if you got falty one or deffektive ones, buy it in Sweden, the mega clone is often from China, is not it?
[Last edited by FredrikH, 2017-06-27 15:43]

2017-06-27 14:14
StephanHo
Supporter
No, you can use D2-D53.
BU0836A is a good Choice.
If you use LED-Segments MobiFlight only assists boards with the MAX7219-chip which needs only 3 wires. Look at the tutorial on this Site.
The Chinese Mega clone is ok. He is used by most of the users here.
Grüße,
Stephan
2017-06-27 19:48
pizman82
Supporter
Stephan awnserd the most.....

Pin0 and Pin1 i think is not working correct..... Maby this is just a urban legend. I don´t know.
And Yes you can Mix Up the Devices on one Board.

I Recommend you to maby not plan a 100% Use..... I see in past sometimes i forgot something. For example you build the AT Arm Switch in 737 via a normal Switch with one Pin.... But then you like to set a Elector Magentic Switch that autamatic can switch back..... Here you need a additional Pin..... If you already use ALL Pins on Board you got a problem.

I plan my Elements so that i always have some Pins empty on every Board at the End.... So i can make changes in the future without need to set a new board in a finished Element later.

To the Arduino Megas and LeoBodnars.

The Original Mega from Arduino cost 40$ the Clone only 6-10$ . Yes you not get a service most time or a payback.... But normaly the chineese Clones work fine. Even every 10th Board is broke..... You save already 300$ for 10 Boards if you buy clones .... then 10$ for the broke board is no matter i think.
One thing is right. NOT by second Hand boards. You not know what the pre user do with this. i would buy only New boards !

2. LeoBodnar is a verry good tool. If you like to save money here too you can use a UNO or MEGA and flash it youreself as a joystick controller
(Google for UNOJOY or MEGAJOY )
But note this is little difficult and it not work so perfect like a LeoBodnar.

I would recommend...Use MEGA Clones.... Save some money instead of the Original Arduinos...... and then use this to buy original LEO Bodnars. This is the best solution i think !
Good Luck !
2017-06-27 22:29
FredrikH
HI

I will go for clone for Mega and Leobodnar, new one of both modell not used. I am planning the light potentiometers for? See the picture by the link:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ah3ROr-SBUwzhY1EWUZBgw5MVENX8A

Its about INBD DU BRT and LOWER DU BRT!

I am wodering if I must use daul potentiometer for the functions (Aircraft is PMDG B737NGX)? Otherwhise I can use normaly pot....

2017-06-30 00:03
pizman82
Supporter
STOP.

Please order youre hardware AFTER you make a short brainstorming....

What do you like to to with..... What are your final plans for the Cockpit.... And How advanced is youre technical skills.

For the Display Brightness your way is correct..... I Think you plan to set a screen behind your panels and show the Displays like "Lower DU" on this monitors.
So here you have to controll the brightness INTERNAL via this Offsets/EventID ( Cause you will controll the virtual Display.... Not a Real Monitor)

BUT. For example the Potentiometer that controll the Backlighting of Pedestal, Overhead etc..... Here its different.
If you plan a full 100% HomeCockpit ( so you NOT use the PMDG Virtual Cockpit again) then its no matter for us how bright the VIRTUAL LED and Backlightings are.
Here its not needed to controll via the Potentiometer the internal Offset and Read it out again to controll our real backlighting.
Here i would recommend to controll the Real Lights DIRECT with a Hardware Potentiometer.... ( With no cennection to Arduiono or Mobiflight)

The Dual Potentiometer Problem is simply a question about your skills and your optical wishes.
These DualStuff is expensive. You can buld this youreself with 2 Normal Potentiometers... 2 Shafts and maby some Cogwheels.
Or if you not need a 100% simmular optic you can set a additional Potentiomter beside the other to prevent the need of a dual one.
Good Luck !
2017-06-30 15:57
FredrikH
Hi

Thank´s for your consideration but I have al under controll, almost :
:confused: :P

I have split the project into 3 parts, have also did a connection table / map in Excel so I know exactly how to connect the components. The goal:
* Mouse free flying!
* Components so I can control the virtuell cockpit.
* Outbound / Inbound displays, I will use the virtual, maybe some small monitors in my panels like 2x 7 inch?

The Left part is for statup - Cockpit light / Electrical, fuel pumps ......
Center Part is the more important par with Efis MCP ......
Right Part are for the less common commands in the aircraft. Maybe I will buy a 10 inch monitor having good instrument so I do not needing the hat on the Saitek Rhino X56 so much?

I have a picture what I want for 90 percent :)

"I Think you plan to set a screen behind your panels and show the Displays like "Lower DU" on this monitors.
So here you have to controll the brightness INTERNAL via this Offsets/EventID ( Cause you will controll the virtual Display.... Not a Real Monitor)"

That is correct, the monitor behind the panel is my main monitor. I think it is waste of many having a small monitor in the panel as I already have the same information on the main monitor!

If I like having a backlighted panel I will use a stand a lone components for it. Leobodnar have some dual encorders so if that fits instead of pots... I can use that :)

I will go for the clones and buy from China directly, maybe: ((http://www.robotistan.com/?) if there is no stores in europe who sell the clones?

I know tha one Mega can handle 7x led-segment or 40 leds but what if you mix segment and leds?

Can I canculate ex: 40 / 7 = 5,7 leds .....?
[Last edited by FredrikH, 2017-07-01 00:18]

2017-07-01 00:12
pizman82
Supporter
Ok lots of stuff :-)
iconFredrikH:

If I like having a backlighted panel I will use a stand a lone components for it. Leobodnar have some dual encorders so if that fits instead of pots... I can use that :)
I will go for the clones and buy from China directly, maybe: ((http://www.robotistan.com/?) if there is no stores in europe who sell the clones?
I know tha one Mega can handle 7x led-segment or 40 leds but what if you mix segment and leds?
Can I canculate ex: 40 / 7 = 5,7 leds .....?

1. Not understand completly.... If you mean with standaloane you set the Backlight out of the PMDG Logic then you not need a LEoBodnar....
You will simply wire your LED for the Backlights direct to a Power Unit... Maby a old Power Unit of a PC that supports 5v.
To Change brightness you will use a hardware solution. I Think you can buy little controllers where you can set a Potentiometer and you can change Power(Pvm) so the LED are controlled from OFF to FULL stepples.

Your Encoder Question..... For The Monitor Question YES... here you can sue Encoders instead of Potentiometers, too. But they work a little different ( Here you not need LeoBodnar... This is posible with Mobiflight too.
The Offset for this have a Value... for exampel 0-100 . 0 is OFF 100 is FullBright.
A Potentiometer is simply set for Full left Position =0 Full Right Position = 100
If you use a Encoder you have to work with a + or - Command. Like "On Turn Left Current Vallue -1" ....."On Turn Right Value +1"
Only two Problems...
A ) You not see the current Position on the Encoder ( Like a Arrow print on Top) cause the Encoder have no fix range like a potentiometer
B ) The Encoder have no Endstop.... So it can be turned endless... even if Full Bright 100 for example is already reached. This change then nothing and not occure in a issue... But you simply not "feel" the End of range like with a Endstop Potentiometer.

2. There are some Stores they delliver from/To germany via Amazon or Ebay.... But i don´t know if you can use them in sweden.
Simply order via Ebay or your linked shop direct in China. Normaly theres no problem. ... Only the long delliver time (4 Weeks+) is bad.

3. :-) The calculaton i don´t understand :w00t:
The Limits are Still for ONE Board and ONE Type. LED = 40 7 Segment = 4 Displays ( But Every Display can get a Row of 8 Displays in cascade) So Limit is 4*8=32
And Yes you can Mix Up.... You can use Pin 2-53 and set whatever you like ( Only not more then the limit for one Device like 40 LED)
BUT Look up you not reach the Power Limits of Board.... I would recommend to split up your devices.... if you need Buttons Switches, too then set for example 20 Switches and 20 LED and 5 Displays on one Board...... Every Output needs Power.... Better to split them if posible,...
Note you can Use 20 or more Arduinos if you like/need .
Good Luck !
2017-07-01 01:29
FredrikH
The Left Section are as bellow:
  • Push = 1x
  • On/Off = 14x
  • On/Off/On = 3
  • On/Off/On = 3
  • on/off/mom = 3x
  • mom/off/mom = 5x
  • Potentiometer = 11x
  • Leds = 12x

Them will be controlled by:
Arduino Mega 2560 2x = 2x (Led = 6x, rest inputs) / board
Leobodnar BU0836A 12-Bit 2x for the pots
[Last edited by FredrikH, 2017-07-03 10:06]

2017-07-01 13:03
FredrikH
I have now ordered a Clone from Italy by ebay 3 iteam :)

Lets see later if it work!

2017-07-03 10:07