MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

FredrikH
Hi all

I am planning a cockpit project for both the A2A C172 Trainer and for the PMDG 737NGX with all the available commands. Is there any limit on how many Arduino mega2560 boards you are able to connect together with the software?

I need I think it will be 10 cards of Mega 2560?

The hardware I will useing are:
Push buttons
on/off swtiches
on/off/on swtiches
on/off/mom swtiches
mom/off/mom swtiches
Rotary switch
Rotary encorders (Contniues rotation)
Potentiometers

I maybe thinking to use led lights and led segment-displays?

Will I get any issues with my project with Mobifight?

Best regard Fredrik

Game control: Razer Nostromo, Keyboard, Saitek Pro Flight X-56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S.
2017-06-17 11:50
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Fredrik,

welcome to MobiFlight!

With MobiFlight you are on the best way to realize most of your homecockpit projects in an easy and espesially low priced way.

To your questions:

1. Yes, you can use 10 cards of Mega 2560. I think the limit is 16 but the limit comes from windows. It can not manage more than 16 USB-interfaces. Maybe that I'm wrong, but this is my level of knowledge.
2. Your buttons are all possible
3. Potentiometers were not supported in the moment by MobiFlight, so you should look for an alternate Produkt like BU0836A from Leo Bodnar (USB Interface - http://www.leobodnar.com )
4. LEDs are also possible
5. 7-segment-display are also possible but they have to be driven by a MAX7219-chip. You can easily look for them i.e. at eBay (include display-tubes)

What you did not asked for are stepper-motors, servos and encoders. These things can also be handled by MobiFlight.
If you ran into problems with MobiFlight don't hesitate to delineate your issue(s). I'm sure you will be helped.
Grüße,
Stephan
2017-06-17 12:48
CmtePena
iconStephanHo:

3. Potentiometers were not supported in the moment by MobiFlight, so you should look for an alternate Produkt like BU0836A from Leo Bodnar (USB Interface - http://www.leobodnar.com )

Hi guys.

Potentiometers are not supported? :(

Does encoders can do the same like potentiometers used with Mobi? :confused:

Encoders are supported I think. :confused:

I'm thinking to make some Boeing radios, like NAV, COMM... and it uses potentiometers (if I'm not wrong).
Cmte. Pena
Keep Flying!
2017-06-17 14:22
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi CmtePena,

yes, in the moment it is not possible to work with potentiometers in Mobiflight. Maybe that Sebastian has it on his to-do-list. But if you want to use them just in the moment you have to runarround to an USB-interface like BU0936A. In certain circumstances an encoder can do the same how a potentiometer do. that is to be checked.

But if you intend to make the radios specifically the adjustment of the frequencies or the transponder-code then your a right with encoders. Encoder are supported by MobiFlight.
[Last edited by StephanHo, 2017-06-17 16:43]
Grüße,
Stephan
2017-06-17 14:43
CmtePena
iconStephanHo:

But if you intend to make the radios specifically the adjustment of the frequencies or the transponder-code then your a right with encoders. Encoder are supported by MobiFlight.

Great! Long life to Mobi.

Thank you, Stephan! :thumbup:
Cmte. Pena
Keep Flying!
2017-06-17 15:00
StephanHo
Supporter
Don't thank me, thank Sebastian. He is programming this phantastic software ;)
Grüße,
Stephan
2017-06-17 15:02
pizman82
Supporter
Hi Guys.

Normaly the Limit of USB Devices ( Arduino Boards) is 128 in Windows . A Limit of 16 maby occures cause you use ONE USB Driver. You have to split them to different chanels.
So YES. There should be no Problem. Some people report they need 15-25 Arduinos for a FULL PMDG Cockpit.

Please Note... The A2A Cessna is a little tricky. It supports not 100% perfect its data to fsuipc. MABY you need a little advanced experience to make this work ( With some own written scripts)

to the Encoder....
A Potentiometer is a Turning Encoder with a fixed Range.... it Starts on 0% and finished on 100% ... So the Switch AKWAYS know it´s position.
A Encoder is endless. It simply do something when you turn left and something else if you turn right.

So Basicly YES.... You can use a Encoder instead of a Potentiometer (And a Rotary Switch) . This workes !
BUT Note: You not have a visible Switch position . And it not "Stop" at the end... you can turn it over endless.

For Example you can use a encoder for your Throttle. ( Here normaly a Potentiometer is used) . With a Encoder you can use a Wheel instead of the Throttle Lever,
Then a turning upward increase Power.... A turning Down decrease power... BUT: You not see the current Position ( Curent Lever status) AND When you reach the FULL Throtlle Power it is already posible to turn the wheel.

I will recomend.... For some functions like a Volume Adjustment for youre COM Radios or the Light Brigntness Knops you can use a Encoder instead of a Potti.
BUT For things like Throttle etc. please use a Potti.
( In A B737 for example i know no switch you realy need a Potentiometer ( Only for the Throttle) )
Good Luck !
2017-06-17 15:51
FredrikH
Thank´s for al the replies :)

So is the Mobiflight stable and trusable for my pmdg B737NGX? I may know the answered :)

I think I will use small monitors for showing led-segments for radios, nav and for the mcp .....? Except for my listed hardware I will maybe use some led for Brake and ON commands.

More work useing led-segments but I maybe will use it if I can get some modules of led segment which are panel friendly.

Does someone know if there is led-segment which can show various information from various led-segment from the overhead panel not just numbers?

According for the aircraft. The most important, is that I can control al of the pmdg B737NGX commands with hardware. The overall goal is a mouse free cockpit in B737 :)

If I can achieve the same in a2a c172 it would be a bonus!

Best Fredrik
[Last edited by FredrikH, 2017-06-17 21:45]

2017-06-17 21:01
pizman82
Supporter
Ok...

Outputs like COM Frequency, MCP Displays and so on can be done with 7 Segment Displays ( MAX7219 Chip based)

Please search the Board for more Information. Normaly this displays be sold with 8 Diggits. BUT you can rework this and can use for example a 5 Diggit Display for the MCP Altitude or a 3 Diggit Display for the Heading ( Lots of topics talk about this and show solutions)

As you still asked.... Displays can only show the 7 segments. So you can show some Symbls like a "E" "A" "H" "b" and "d". for complex Words you need a 14/16 Segment Display. But this is not supported at the Moment ( Maby in Future)

BUT Note. In Next release ( some weeks) a LCD Display will be supported like this.. https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00855ZQ88/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here you can write full words and Symbols...... But i think you not need this in a B737

To PMDG

With Mobiflight you can do ALL what PMDG is allow us to do. Inputs normaly are 100% working with Mobiflight ( and FSUIPC in some Cases)
BUT. Outputs are only maby 98% Supported. "Some" special situations are problematc.
For Example the Control LED of the Voice Recorder.... the Butterfly Flpas Indicator or the ADF Standby Frequence.
Here PMDG simple never allow us to show this in our cockpits.
If you like this you need a bit of improvisation and tricky logics.... then it "look" real but it´s function is not perfect realistic. ( But this are only some less situations that not needed in a normal flight)

to A2A
Here it´s a bit more difficult like in PMDG i think...... But it should work too.
Good Luck !
2017-06-17 23:00
FredrikH
Hi

I almost have al I am needing to continue but can anyone tell more why running Arduino and mobiflight? More god argument why I should invest in arduino and mobiflight! :)

Best Fredrik

Good Question.

What alternates do you have ?

I think at the Moment we talk about 3 Systems...

1. OpencockpitCard or simular Products like Arcaze etc.
For example OC work with SIOC. Here you need a little more skill to set the confg cause sioc need "some" programm skills.
But the BIG Problem.... This Cards are verry expensive. for me personal no alternate. My budget is limmited.

2. Arduino or a simmular controller like Raspberry etc. with OWN Programm.
THIS is the Best way for a Homecockpit..... cheap Hardware and a 100% working personal Software like you realy want it.
BUT.... Here you need to write the hole code yourself. If you got high end programm skills don´t think about Mobiflight.... Make your own System !

3. Mobiflight
Same like in Point 2..... Cheap Hardware. But here you need no programming skills. Note. Mobiflight can do lot of things but it got limits.
for example like talk above you can use a 7 Segment Display and soon a LCD.... But 14/16 Segments are not posible at the moment.

For me Mobiflight is the best way.... Cheap Hardware .... a Basic Code i not need to write or learn myself....
And Mobiflight is still in a working progress..... If majority of community request a new tool and it´s posible Sebastian try to implement it.

Finaly note.... You NOT need to make a full System with Mobiflight. Simply use Mobiflight for the things you like and use a different system for the other parts when you think Mobiflight is not perfect for you there.
[Last edited by pizman82, 2017-06-19 01:45]

2017-06-18 23:40
DocMoebiuz
Argument #1: A great community that answers your questions!
Have a great day!
Sebastian

MobiFlight - Simply build your own home cockpit for your favorite flight sim - FSX, Prepar3D (FSUIPC), X-Plane (XPUIPC)
2017-06-19 00:52
CmtePena
iconFredrikH:

Hi

I almost have al I am needing to continue but can anyone tell more why running Arduino and mobiflight? More god argument why I should invest in arduino and mobiflight! :)

Best Fredrik

Fredrik and all the guys,

I want to start a project (Boeing radios) with Arduino and Mobi, and some photos will be very appreciated and will contribute so much.

Thank you all!
Cmte. Pena
Keep Flying!
2017-06-19 01:03
FredrikH
Question:
1.)
Does mobiflight has a link for fsuip so I can map some hardware connected into the Arduino board from the fsuipc or can I turn it to both work for mobilflight and a normaly joystick board?

2.)
The limit for mobilflight seams being 40 pins, just digital ones?

3.)
Mobilflight seams not being support for the 16th analog pins?

4.)
I need useing 514 digital pin. none led segment are included and 38 analog pins. I do not think I can use only one solution for my home project. I think I will use Arduino + mobiflight for my leds and the led segments, Leobodnarboard for the rest + Linda and FSUIPC!

The sum is that I need two solution to handle my cockpit!

Will be bak later, thank´s alot :)

Best Fredrik
[Last edited by FredrikH, 2017-06-19 11:27]

2017-06-19 10:04
pizman82
Supporter
Hi Fredrik.

Mobiflight can work in both directions..... It can be used for outputs and inputs, too,
Basicly you not need a configuration in FSUIPC or Linda cause Mobiflight do the same.... you can for example direct run a EventID or you can manipulate a Offset.
The only thing what not be "direct" posible at the moment is runnning a LUA Macro ( Like in FSUIPC and LINDA)... We try to implement this but have some trouble in the code.... But we looking forward to enter this in the next perriode.
BUT. Additional to the standard functions Mobiflight allow us to simulate 256 "Virtual Joystick Buttons" ..... This mean a Button Push on your Arduino with Mobiflight send a command to FSUIPC and there it is shown like a Push/release of a Joystickbutton. With this "bypass" you can define a Button/Switch direct in FSUIPC ( Like it would be a real Joystick Input)

The Limits (listed in FAQ) are always for ONE Board. Number of Boards are basicly not limmited....
So for example 40 LED Output Limit means you can set 40 LED Output on Digital Pins of ONE Arduino. The Other 12 Digital Pins can be used for example with Buttons or some 7 Segment Displays.
If you Use for example 3 Arduino Boards you can set a Maximum of 120 LED
So summary... You can Use all Digital Pins ( Only Pin 1 is broke i think) and combine your Devices like you want.....
I will recomend to split the devices tactical..... Means... Not all Inputs Buttons to 1 Board and all LED to another cause then you need a lot of Power in the LED board and nearly no power on the switches.... For Example If you use 3 Arduinos and you need 60 LED then not set 40-20-0 to the Board.... Try to set 20-20-20- to split up the needed Power to all 3 Boards. And simply use the open Pins for Switches, Buttons or 7 Segment, Motors and so on.

3. Thats correct. Mobiflight at the moment not supports Analog Inputs So Potentiometers are NOT supported.
Maby we will impliment this in the future too. But this is not current on the ToDo List.... We get another targets with higher priority like LCD Display.

4. Yes.... and this is no Problem. Most of Cockpitbuilders not use ONE System for the hole stuff.
In your case you need LeoBodnar (or a different Gamecontroller Board) for the Analog Pins. Thats a fact !
Additional you need FSUIPC ( Registred Version) to setup the Analaog Pottis. ( Linda is not needed but it´s helpfull)

Now you can choice.... Using the free pins of the LeoBodnar ( You still use the Analog Pins till now) is ok. I will do that too.
BUT Why do you wan´t to controll ALL Inputs via this expensive boards ?

My recomend solution here....
Use LeoBodnar Boards to connect all your Analog stuff..... Fill up the Pins with Inputs.... specialy the functions you not can set in Mobiflight directly like LUA Macros etc.
For Outputs use Mobiflight and Arduiono.
Additional use Arduiono for the Inputs you not have enough pins free on the needed LeoBodnars..... The Standard Inputs that not need a LUA Macro or a special script can be done with Mobiflight in same easy way like in Linda and FSUIPC.

Finaly Note..... At Beginning i think like you..... ONLY ONE SYSTEM !!!! . But with passing time i change my planing and use up to 5 different "connectors" .....
Mobi for Outputs, LeoBodnar for Analog Stuff, HID Macros for a Keyboard Emulator, A self written Standaloane Software for FMC/CDU and maby Sioc.
Limit the Number of used Programs is good and save CPU Power... But it´s no problem to work with more then 1 System finaly!
Good Luck !
2017-06-19 16:00
FredrikH
Hi pizman82

Thank you for your effort helping me understanding this!

The only remaining question is a led-segments or monitor + Air manager?

A will go for led-segments if there is somthing like easy panel holder for led-segments, the cost is nearly the same as monitor + Air manager?

This is not true if you can connect inputs like switches together with led-segment, switches does not take any power from the card!

Best Fredrik

2017-06-20 10:07