MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

Go to page 1Go to page 112Go to page 3Go to page 2
pizman82
Supporter
@ Pierclav
Maybe a misstake but the Link is the same..... so it again not include the FSUIPC Tab.

Whatever.....

Its no matter, cause the FSUIPC Tab settings have no influence to the Speed of the Motor.
Wrong FSUIPC Settings can occure in a non smooth running ( Decimal problem) but finaly not change the speed.
If you make the TEST in Display Tab to turn the Motor 360° ...... This moving is already the MAX Speed that is possible.

To get a same point of view..... You both should make a experiment!
Use Test mode with settings for full 360° turn..... And simply check the time. For example say your Motor take 1,5 seconds for a full turn.
Then you both know if you got the same result.

Sounds funny but some users think 1 Second is fast..... other think 1 second is verry slow. It´s subjective to say "my motor is slow".
Good Luck !
2020-05-27 13:36
Caspajack
Well, I did a clean test with a new Arduino, a different motor and a different Easy Driver board.

The result no matter what combination of wiring or FSUIPC settings was exactly as before, the motor runs very slowly.
As Pizman suggested I set the gauge to complete a 315 degree rotation of the pointer, it took 34 seconds and another 34 seconds to return to zero.

I did the same test with the ULN2003AN and the 28BYJ-48 stepper which works perfectly with a rotation of 4 seconds.
So I will give up on the Switec motors and use the 28BYJ-48 ones instead. I have redesigned the gauge and will use the circuit boards for backlighting only, so they won't be wasted.

Pizman was right, no point in reinventing the wheel and the 28BYJ-48 is a much stronger motor anyway.

John.

[Last edited by Caspajack, 2020-05-29 03:12]
2020-05-29 02:45
pizman82
Supporter
Thanks for testing..... 34 sec are much much much to slow :P

Hopefully pierclav reply to this..... i´m intrested if his gauge also needs 30+ seconds for a turn !
Good Luck !
2020-05-29 11:41
pierclav
Supporter
I will in a few days. I tore down my test setup and started assembling my overhead panel.
2020-05-30 01:57
pierclav
Supporter
I found some spare parts for a quick test. It turns out that the board is in max microstepping mode by default. MS1/MS2 have to be pulled to GND to set the stepping mode.

For 315° rotation:

No GND: 34 seconds

GND on MS1: 17 seconds

GND on MS2: 9 seconds

GND on MS1 and MS2: 7 seconds . Works fine in CW but seriously jitters in CCW. Only returns halfway to zero.
2020-05-30 09:41
pierclav
Supporter
I am using these values for my EGT gauge:

Float 4 offset (Float 32 on Prosim737)

Steps per rev: Sim/stepper: 100/600
Test value: 1000

Interpolation:
18 = 0
320 = 400
622 = 800
2020-05-30 10:14
Caspajack
Wellll.... That seems to be the answer. :-/ :)

Thank you very much pierclav, I had just about given up on these motors. Sadly with 10 more on the way and 10 circuit boards designed specifically for the overhead gauges in my nearly completed 737 Shell, I was a little disappointed . In fact (as you may have noticed) I have already made 2 gauges using the ULN2003AN and the 28BYJ-48 steppers, which work fine anyway.

So I simply followed your information and grounded the MS2 pin and the gauge rotated the full deflection in 7-8 seconds. Incidentally I had no problem in the CCW rotation I simply swapped the pins on STEP and DIR and it runs smoothly in the opposite direction.

So great thanks once again pierclav and of course pizman82 who kept batting away at this problem for me,

John.
[Last edited by Caspajack, 2020-05-31 10:58]
2020-05-30 18:39
pierclav
Supporter
I am glad to hear that your gauges are now running in high gear. I will keep experimenting with these steppers. They can run a lot faster.

https://hackaday.com/2013/01/19/custom-gauges-with-a-stepper-motor-breakout-board/

Pizman: do you think there could be an easy software mod to increase the speed?

Best regards,

Pierre
2020-05-31 08:09
pizman82
Supporter
Yes and No.

Technical the speed is limmited by Mobiflight internal..... And this Value is used hardcoded for all users.
As i know Sebastian define this value for the BYJ 48 Stepper and till now it work for all Uers expect one guy who said he like it different some years ago.

With this argument Sebastian said in the past he not looking forward to make here a Custom Entry !

But sure..... The Speed is basicly controlled by a simple value and can be combined by a easy "multiplicator"
So technical Sebastian could include a little Area in /settings Tab named "Stepper Multiplicator" with a Input Value or he can include a slider like for FSUIPC Polling rate.
Basicly a mutliplicator that increase/decrease the hardcoded Value by a factor.

Maybe he will comment this himself.

If he NOT like to do this you already got the posibility to download the Raw Code from Mobiflight and change this variable by yourself..... Then you build a "custom" MF Version for your own. Only disadvantage.... Each time there is a Patch for MF you must do this rework again with the newest version.
Good Luck !
2020-05-31 15:13
Go to page 1Go to page 112Go to page 3Go to page 2