MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
jjvelar
Hi,

I want to use a 28BYJ-48 and ULN 2003 for this gauge.
I think everything is working ok and the needle moves clockwise when the value of the offset increases but when the value decreases, the needle continues spinning clockwise instead of anti-clockwise.
Any suggestion?
Thanks!

Jose
2017-02-26 19:30
pizman82
Supporter
Hi

To help you and reproduce that please give me more Information....

737 EGT Gauge ?? You mean APU EGT (Overhead) or do you try to readout the EGT of Engine 1 and/or 2 ??

Please give me your used Offset, Type, Bytes ..... The Transform and Compare if used... The Interpolation if used.... and the Stepper Settings....

Normaly that should work without issues.
Good Luck !
2017-02-26 21:57
jjvelar
sorry for not been precise.

APU EGT

offset: 0x648C
value type: float
size in bytes: 4
mask value: 0xFFFFFFFF
sim/stepper: 1000 / 4096
test value: 1000

no transform, no comparison, no interpolation, no compass mode.
thanks!

Jose
2017-02-26 22:29
pizman82
Supporter
Hi Jose.

Thanks for details....

Config seems be correct !
Stepper Value "maby" is wrong.... On my System the Stepper got a value of 2048 for a full circle Not shure if youres is different.... But this only will occure in a double Turning... Not in the discribted Problem.
You can check this with a test ( Connector stopped).... If you use "Test" Button in Display Tab. Settings: Sim 1000 Stepper 4096 Test Value 1000 ...... If the needle turns ONE Time full 360° then Stepper Value is correct.... If it turns TWO times full circle then value is wrong and should be 2048 like on my system.

Now the Error....

Sorry i can´t reproduce this. On my system it work perfect with youre explaned settings.
Please Confirm.....
1. You use Mobiflight current version and firmware (7.2.3.)
2. You run Mobiflight as Administrator (Maby the key this often became problems like this)
3. You Enable Data Broatcast=1 in the 737NGX_Options.ini

If all this not help please test same Stepper Motor for a different gauge.... Maby a Standard FSX Value like Flaps or the Gear Offset. Just for testing if Motor is working fine

Please Report if problem is solved !
Good Luck !
2017-02-26 23:47
jjvelar
hi
I'm afraid it is not working.
stepper = 2048 and the needle just turns a small fraction of a turn. But after the needle stops I can hear the motor running.
I thought the motor could be broken but when I press a few times the "move" button in "manual calibration", the needle can do a full turn.
and by the way, the motor always spins clockwise. And "always" means move steps = +50 and -50.
any suggestion?
thanks!
2017-03-01 21:58
pizman82
Supporter
Ok. More reasons are posible.
I never heard about that but shure we find the Problem.
((You don´t awnserd about Administrator Mode.... So i hope you check this out, too))

1. Problem in Testing Situation.... ( This not solving the One Direction issue... just for information)
Please confirm you do the Test ( test Button in Config/Display Tab Below the Sim Stepper Settings)
Check that Mobiflight NOT running at this time Online with the SIm ( The "Play" Button in main window MUST set to OFF )
If Mobiflight is running online then the Simulator send Data to the Stepper same time like the Test Function.... For Example Gauge in Sim = 0 ( APU Off) and Test will go to 1000 then youre stepper "stutter" cause Sim wants to turn to 0 and test wants to turn to 1000. This can´t work !

2. Maby a wire Problem.
Check please if wire logic is like needed. Youre Stepper need to connect to the ULN2003 with a 5 Cable connector in right direction.
The ULN must be connected by a 4 Wire Connector to 4 Pins ( be Shure the sequence of Cables is correct with youre Device Config entrys)
The ULN must connected with +5v and GRD to the SAME Board where you connect the 4 Data Cable ! Check this if you use multible Boards

3. Damaged Motor / ULN Board
If you have a second Stepper and/or ULN Board please make a check if another one work.
I `don´t think this is the reason.... But a test will help here to exclude this assumption.

PS. What Pins do you use for the 4 Data Lines.... Use for testing for example Pin 20-23 If posible use a clear board for testing so no wrong other config or a Overpower use can be rason for youre issue.

Hope this help. report experience please.
Good Luck !
2017-03-01 22:27
jjvelar
sorry you are right. I don't get the proper result and:
- I am using it with admin rights
- the ini file is properly configured
- I do the testing with the "Run" function OFF.
- unfortunatelly it is not a
- I use pins:
IN1: 44
IN2: 42
IN3: 40
IN4: 38
- I am afraid it is not a clear board.

any suggestion from this before start testing wiring?
2017-03-01 22:54
pizman82
Supporter
Pins look Good. ( Thought you maby use Pin 0,1 or 2 that are not working i think)

As i wrote check for right Sequence... Now i see you use 44-42-40-38 for 1,2,3,4 So 1 is in the highest 44 slot 4 is in the lowest 38 slot.... Maby you just inverted them accidental. Pleas recheck that!! This happend to me in the past too ! And Check if you got right Connectors in Arduino. Maby you skip a row down or up.

If Board is not clear it´s no problem. Just check in the Device menu... Settings/Mobiflighboard that you not got a double entry like a LED or switch that set by mistake on one of these pins. And please check if you use the 5v pin.... not the 3.3v

At last i recommend to disable all other Config Lines while testing. use only the Output Line for the Stepper..... OR Create a new Config only with this stepper entry.... So we can get shure the problem is not a issue somewhere else in Mobiflight Config.

PS.
iconpizman82:

If all this not help please test same Stepper Motor for a different gauge.... Maby a Standard FSX Value like Flaps or the Gear Offset. Just for testing if Motor is working fine
Please Report if problem is solved !

Do you make this already ??
I think youre problem is a wire issue or a Hardware Issue but if you can´t solve it you can try if a normal FSX Offset will work.....

Try for example Offset 0BDC (0bdc) 4 Byte INT Use a Standard Plane like Cessna.. This is the Flaps Offset. Stepper Setting : Sim = 16683
If you use the Flaps the Stepper should turn Cluckwise in 3 Steps to 33,66 and 100% of a full Circle.... And turn Counterclockwise if you set the flaps up again.

Sorry i can´t help you more at the moment... It´s difficult to reproduce this cause it works fine on my system !
Good Luck !
2017-03-02 00:41
jjvelar
Hi
It is working now. A wire problem. I feel embarassed :-/
BTW, I finally used:
- SIM / Stepper = 1600 / 4096
- Transform = $ * 3 / 5

In fact I would like to use $ * 0,582 but then MobiFlight refuses to START. Any clue?

Nevertheless, awesome support.
Thanks and best regards,

José
2017-03-04 17:54
pizman82
Supporter
Nice to hear you solve the entry problem !

The way you use (Sim Stepper or Interpolation/Compare) is youre choice..... Question is how you design youre gauge. If you use 70% Circle you need another value like somebody who design the gauge from 0-10 with maby a 90% circle.
There are lots of posible ways.... reducing the step value for example..... Or by interpolation..... Youre way with a transform and a individual "sim" value workes too.

And to the multiply problem...... I think you just use Decimal point "." and Comma "," in wrong direction. I´m not at my Flightsim PC at the moment and need to test it myself.... But i think for a multiply like $*0.582 you need to use a point "." not a comma "," ..... Or i´m wrong and it´s inverted :w00t: .... But Only one of these two ways will work ! Try Out !
Good Luck !
2017-03-05 01:04
jjvelar
0.582 did the job.
Thanks!
2017-03-05 19:28
herly
Hallo Pizman,

Just would like to ask you what is the displays and FSUIPC seeting numbers for cabin climb gauge.

Thank you
Herly
2018-08-22 10:42
pizman82
Supporter
Sorry Herly.... I Don´t know.... Not build it or test it already.

iconQuote:

6C24 4 FLT32 AIR_CabinAltNeedle ft
6C28 4 FLT32 AIR_CabinDPNeedle PSI
6C2C 4 FLT32 AIR_CabinVSNeedle Ft/min

6C24 is the inner Scale of Top Gauge
6C28 is the Outer Scale of Top Gauge
6C2C should be the lower gauge

I recommend to siply test this out.... ALL 3 Offsets are FLT32 so use FLOAT and 4 BYTE .
I would creat simply 3 Configs ( without Motors) and study the Values..... Run your Sim. Check out how the Shown value is in Sim and how the Offset Value is at the moment....
Change the Alt und Presserusation so the Gauge is working ..... Now check again the Values.

Summary.... Find out the logic : You must know Value starts at X ---- Go to Y .... You must know Value is a full number or a decimal number. And you must Know Value is Positiv or mixed positiv and negativ.

After that you know the basics..... And then you can calculate a good value for your gauges ( Think about Stepper or Servo at this moment too. )

If you have big trouble i can have a look on it.... But this will take longer time. Verry bussy at the moment !
Good Luck !
2018-08-25 11:33
herly
Hi Pizman,

Thanks lot for your detail explanation. I wil try it tonight.

Warm regards,
Herly
2018-08-25 15:06
icon