MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
hrings
I have connected the two 7 segment MAX 7219 in a Daisy Chain with Flight Alt as no 1 and Landing as no 2.
When testing first time both tests where ok. but when i Run flight only blinks and goes black landing working ok and show setting.
When running test again Flight is black and landing shows correct.
<I then reload config and the same happens again both ok in test and when run flight blinks and landing ok.
I am using 64E4 for flight and 64E8 for landing and feeding V+ to landing from flight board.
It shows correct values in MF both FSUIPC and Output value
Using P3Dv4.5 and PMDG NGX 800
Any tips to the fault?
HenningR
[Last edited by hrings, 2020-05-16 17:34]
2020-05-16 17:09
pizman82
Supporter
Hi Henning

Like always.... You must at first split between Hard and Software:

Confusing is as you say BOTH sides are OK wich is not possible if you finaly got a issue. Problem MUSt be there or there.

Hardware:
iconhrings:

When testing first time both tests where ok

Hopefully you mean the standard testing procedure: Go in the Config you use that display..... Go in Display Tab.... Press TEST ( NOT run Mobiflight that time. Get sure STOP is active in main Bar)

If this work then hardware and Arduino is fine!

Software:
iconhrings:

I am using 64E4 for flight and 64E8 for landing
It shows correct values in MF both FSUIPC and Output value

That means Comunication from Sim and Mobiflight work fine so problem is not MF or FSUIPC

Summary:
If your Hardwaretest was realy corrctly then the only issue spot can be the Config itself. Do you use a Compare or much more problematic a wrong Precondition ??

solution:
As i recommend 1000 times.... Try to use a rudimentary basic testing ground.
NOT test in your master mcc file that include all other things. Open a NEW file Create in that case only 2 Output configs for that 2 Dispalys and test there.
Also not use difficult PMDG stuff for main testing.... For displays use "COM1 Active" for LEd use Parking Brake.

Target: Try to exclude all possible issue spots to finaly just test the one point you like to use.
For example if you just show COM1 in this testing mcc file and this workes fine then you know.... Hardware OK.... FSUIPC OK .... Basic Config Logic OK
So you know your problem must be finaly in the config logic of your current MCC file !

PLEASE: Make a testing with a 2 Line Config .... if problem is still there send me the file (pizman@freenet.de) i will check it for you !
Good Luck !
2020-05-16 18:49
hrings
Thats exactly what I do.
"""Hopefully you mean the standard testing procedure: Go in the Config you use that display..... Go in Display Tab.... Press TEST ( NOT run Mobiflight that time. Get sure STOP is active in main Bar)"""
First time test is then ok showing 12345---- as it should.
Then I start run:
Flight Altitude is black, Landing alt shows correct value.
When I then stop it in the main bar and run the test via display tab both are black.
I am only using FSUIPC and display. NOT using either Compare or Precondition. (May be It should be done, but I don't know how)
all the lights on the overhead is connected and showing as they should.

But I have still the condition that I have to start the connector two times to get it to work.
Even after delete of MF Connector and reinstall. Also upgraded both win10, FSUIPC and P3dv4
MF uses about 15 sec to show the picture, Both FSUIPC and Module showing yellow marks then it stays open for about 15 sec before it close itself.
Next start opening page of MF pop up immediately and all shows correct except for the flt altitude on the overhead.
2020-05-18 10:12
pizman82
Supporter
I´m sorry for that.

But you pretty sure understand. Its extremly hard to understand the issue without see the System.
I must belive in your words.... So i can not "check" if all is realy correct what you tell me. Pretty sure you not tell my something wrong but maybe you think all is correct but it´s not.

About the 2 Time Startup i have no idea.... And yes in theory if this is a deeper issue it also can occure to the displays.

About Display
Please again confirm your Hardware Settings ( /Setting/Mobiflightboards) are 100% Right..... You use the correct NUM Value for numbers of MaxChips and you also adress both configs to the correct device.
Also confirm your wirwork is correct.... 3 Pins from Mega to Left side of Display 1--- right side of Display 1 to Left sside of Display 2 5V line from Mega to each Display 5V in (Left side) as a single line..... GRD from that Mega !

There can be so many issues..... And i know 10+ Testings i could do within some minutes to find the issue. But i would need to see your Computer.
For example my first action would be to test the Displays on a other Mega (without LEDs and buttons on it)
Target as i said above.... You must find the nature of problem.... Only then we can solve it.
Good Luck !
2020-05-18 19:19
hrings
Thanks. I understand that. I can send you my set up as print screens but then I need an address.
The only thing I am uncertain of is the byte size bus as long as Flight Altitude has 64E4 and Landing altitude is 64E8 I assume that it is 4 bytes
and as long as it is only two displays is it then necessary with own connection to 5 volt or is it sufficient voltage with the volt from board one
HenningR
2020-05-19 16:04
pizman82
Supporter
With only 2 Displays you can also wire 5v from board 1 to board 2. Problems start sometimes on board 3 and pretty sure on board 4.

About Size of Offset this is written in the List !

Offset: 64E4 Size in Byte : 4 Typ: DWORD Name AIR_FltAltWindow
Offset: 64E8 Size in Byte : 4 Typ: DWORD Name AIR_LandAltWindow

Size is 4 Byte each.... Also explaned via Typ.... DWORD means Doubleword .... and a Doubleword is always a 32 Bit ( 4 Byte) Integer Offset

About Problem

You can send me files ( pizman@freenet.de)
But as i said.... You maybe not know what i need to see.... Much more proftable is Discord. then you share your screen and hear my voice. I see whats happen and can tell you something like "clikc here or open that" then we pretty sure find the problem pretty fast.
If not... Send files. i will check and also try to help !
Good Luck !
2020-05-19 19:00
hrings
Is it possible that my problems comes from to heavily loaded cards (2560)
The cards I have used has a lot of leds and also the encoders connected and when restarting the cards (MFConnector) it worked until I adjusted f.inst. Flight Altitude then it went black.
When i connected flight altitude and landing altitude to a nearly empty card it seems to function normally.
Can overload be the reason.
HenningR
2020-05-26 13:29
pizman82
Supporter
Sure !

In case the limitations from the Mega are clearly announced in the datasheet we presupposed that the users build there setups within this range.

A Mega allow a absolute maximum of 800mA ..... Without a external Power suply the maximum is already 500mA ( power supported by the USB )
So you must get sure all Devices you set not need more then 500mA overall.
Specialy on LED you also need to work with correct Resistors to not pull more power as needed/calculated.

Simply check each device how many power is needed and add them..... Or work basicly conservative and split your Outputs over more Megas.
If you still need e.g. 40 LED and 40 Switches then simply set on each Mega 20/20 instead of extremlay all LED to Board A and all switches to Board B

NOTE: The Max need verry small power. LED (low current) also are non problematic..... But bigger LED with 20+ mA can pretty fast overrung the Limit. ( E.g. 25 LED with 20mA overdrive the limits) ...... Most extremly are Motors (Stepper) Here already 2 Motors are to much and should powered external if possible !
Good Luck !
2020-05-26 17:00
icon