MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

Go to page 1Go to page 31234Go to page 5Go to page 4
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
@ Sebastian & the Gang

https://www.mobiflight.com/forum/message/16415.html

Did you guys see this post? It was mainly intended for you lot. I wouldn't want it to get buried by other chat without you noticing though.

Jay
2020-01-03 09:22
aeromax
Supporter
:rolleyes: Yep. Understandable. No problem.

I gonna check the cable incl soldering joints.
Hopefully I find the malfunction. Don't think that the device itself has a fault. Be wound up to a high pitch.

Call you back.

THANKS

Max

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jar-fcl/49322373332/in/dateposted-friend/#comments
[Last edited by aeromax, 2020-01-03 15:57]
Life is Good When You Find What You are Looking For!
2020-01-03 09:30
pizman82
Supporter
iconVR-FlightSim:

@ Sebastian & the Gang

https://www.mobiflight.com/forum/message/16415.html

Did you guys see this post? It was mainly intended for you lot. I wouldn't want it to get buried by other chat without you noticing though.

Jay

Hi.
I already see this....
And you still know i´ma bit out of this thematic.
Whatever i apreciate new stuff and be happy about every input from a User who like to support Mobiflight with new ideas.... In your case i´m a bit confused and i already not understand the finaly needness of this stuff. Expect the VOR Gauge i not see a profitable usage (better as the current available Encoders) .
But sure.... I looking forward to a meeting where you can convince me .... Whatever Sebastian is still convinced already i think... Ant thats enough to implement it ;)

So..... Lets talk about it next time...... Just understand Sebastian celebrate christmas and newyear with his family and myself i was in work ( my restaurant) and have absolutly no time for the last 8 Weeks. I looking forward for return Cockpitbuilding within the next weeks. Then a meeting will be possible.
Good Luck !
2020-01-03 14:09
aeromax
Supporter
iconQuote:

In your case i´m a bit confused and i already not understand the finaly needness of this stuff. Expect the VOR Gauge i not see a profitable usage (better as the current available Encoders) .

Whatever that means? To come across as - what?

Cheers
:|
2020-01-03 16:06
pizman82
Supporter
At first let me say..... Mobiflight is Sebastians "baby" and he is the "Godfather" of this software..... So my Opinion is not important. If he like to implement this he will do..... if not he won´t.

I personaly think Mobiflight should implement Things that are basicly needed to build a realistic cockpit AND are not possible to build at the moment (whatever with other systems on the market) .
Reversed.... Mobiflight must NOT include elements that can be done already by a tricky logic in Mobiflight OR are possible with other Software or Hardware.

Best example is Max7219 Alternates.
With Max7219 every needed Display for a Cockpit is possible. So we will not implement a Other 7Seg Driver Board just cause a user can order the needed Displays in correct color and size with Chip XY ..... He can simply buy a Max Chip and the single Displays and must solder them together.
OR
Matrix Inputs ..... We can set 50 Buttons to a Mega via 50 Pins..... We Can use 100 Megas if we like. there is absolutly no needness to implement a tool that allow setting of 64 Buttons with just 16 Pins. Maby it would be cool but its not needed in case we can earn same result already ( just need more pins finaly)

At the moment i see usage of the "Potentiometer Encoder System" only in old gauges that need a Physical movement of a label Disc inside the meachnic.

Finaly i would say 95% of users won´t use it.... B737 A320 got virtual Displays instead of Gauges..... Cessna Builders mostly also work with Displays (Behind drilled holes) instead of mechanical gauges..... The guys with gauges mostly work with a stepper motor that turn the Disc instead of a mechanical combined Encoder.
So there are maby 10-20 People that realy need this System.... And pretty sure most of those advanced users are able to programm this little part by themself.

Summary Sebastian must ask himself a little question.... What are the benefits..... How much work is it to iimplement .... Do we have Disadvantages .... And finaly "Would it be more profitable to build a other thing that is more usefull for most of Cockpitbuilders like 14 Seg Displays in the same time he would instead spent for the Potti-Encoder thing.

Please not be angry with me..... I just say what i´m think. .... So sorry and not feel attacked.
So i looking forward to a meeting.... Then i maby understand the deepness and the usage for other Situations. But at the moment this looks for me as a Nice Tool that is need just by a verry small number of Users.
Good Luck !
2020-01-03 16:51
aeromax
Supporter
Make a long story short even actions speak louder than words and nobody get bent out of shape. Therefore, every cloud has a silver lining. So the ball is in your court.

One good turn deserves another!

Regards
Max
2020-01-04 06:35
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
iconQuote:

Please not be angry with me..... I just say what i´m think.

No offence taken. In fact, this is exactly what I was asking you, "honest opinion". I know everybody was busy over the holidays and I don't know if you guys go through all the posts once you're back so just wanted to point out that particular one as I've invested quite a bit of time and money to demonstrate my idea to the right people.

So, thank you for the detailed perspective Pizman.
I see your point clearly, assuming that this system would be beneficial to only a handful of users but in my defence, magnetic encoder is a tool that no other can replace so far and its potential is my best card I can play at the moment. I mean "it's a tool" you give to the users and you'll surprised what they come up with.
This sensor is not just an encoder, it's an "absolute encoder / digital potentiometer" with full 360 range and awesome resolution.
Just on top of my head, do you know how many sim pilots are replacing the ordinary pots in their joysticks/yokes with hall sensors just for better control acuracy? I was surprised by my self but the answer is "a lot" :D

Well, besides having the option to manage physical axes with this tool, we would have gained a really simple solution for multiposition switches (I know that saving number of pins is not the priority but we're talking significant number of pins here) and the fact that the sensor is in "absolute" state is another great advantage. No calibration or syncing required...

Again, it's not about the immediate benefit to a number of users, but its potential in MF.
I do realise it'll take Sebastian's time to process this but I believe in this idea so much that I'm offering to provide the hardware for free and even some funds if it helps the case;)
The ultimate goal I wish to achieve is to run one and only additional program to manage all the sim's hardware from one place. Simplicity and ease of use is the key when you wanna go flying as you don't always have a spare hour just for setting up your sim.

Regards
Jay
2020-01-04 13:18
aeromax
Supporter
You‘re right,

Update:

I checked the d’arsonval Coil (CDI) with the result of an malfunction. INOP at all. Kicked out. Why ever :scared: maybe that was why it was so cheap. Instead a new stepper works fine, 100% set with interpolation / limitation. :w00t:

Done!

THANKS for HELP
Next Step -OBS

Max
2020-01-04 14:02
pizman82
Supporter
@ Jay

I love and respect people, who fight for there ideas and visions.

You pretty deserve your chance to present the idea.... And as i said i think Sebastian is already interested !

So i looking forward to a Discord/Teamviewer seasson..... I want to see what is growing in your brain :P
Good Luck !
2020-01-04 15:24
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
thank you:thumbup:
2020-01-05 00:47
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
Just a little update for anybody who follows this topic.
Finally figured out a way to control the compass card directly with the AS5600. Not quite via Mobiflight yet but I can see the light already;)

AS5600, BU0836A and X Plane by Jay, on Flickr

Jay
[Last edited by VR-FlightSim, 2020-01-12 12:25]
2020-01-12 01:43
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
Followed by a big update:w00t:
Although the encoder only provides analog data for now, the whole instrument is up and running with very accurate results.

Collins IND-350 VOR Indicator with AS5600 Encoder, BU0836A and MobiFlight in X Plane 11 by Jay, on Flickr

Over & Out
Jay
2020-01-12 12:19
aeromax
Supporter
Looks great :) cool VID
but change the cables TO/FROM :lol:

Is the setting of the dial with this „touchless„ encoder the same or different? Got the 6x3 magnets but the china-board is somewhere in asia. Currently I’m using the KY-40 for the Dial and LCD Segment.

Cheers B)
[Last edited by aeromax, 2020-01-12 21:08]
2020-01-12 20:59
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
cheers..
the cables are fine, it's actually a bug in the add-on plane I'm running:P

My Chinese encoder arrived in three weeks only:w00t:
I hooked it up to Bodnar's BU0836 board to see if it behaves like a pot and it did so I wrote a short lua script to translate the axis into a dataref to control the compass card directly.

Jay
2020-01-12 22:12
aeromax
Supporter
Top :)

Ah, ok. So you‘re using xP. KI-205 is working fine now.
Also I do hold few different Leo‘s, Arcaze‘s & LED‘s Driver & Power Modules and that make‘s sense.

Awesome :rolleyes:
2020-01-12 22:37
Go to page 1Go to page 31234Go to page 5Go to page 4