MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
jkatz098
Is it possible to have more letters supported on mobiflight with a 7 segment

I could only get E to work (and other certain letters)

I use prosim and it send a number, I would like to have it then display N E S W

N as a lower case 'n'
E as a E
S as a '5'
W as a lower case 'u'
2019-11-21 13:14
pizman82
Supporter
You give the awnser already youreself.....
NO.... Not directly.

The first Problem is simple the missing Segments !

You see for the Middle line of a "N" or "W" (the diagonal ones) you need additional Segments like in a 14/16 Seg Display.

The Second Problem is that Mobiflight just talk to Max7219 ..... And thats a " 7 Seg" Controller.

Improvisional Solution

So to show a clear W and N you basicly need 14 SEG Displays here.
Normaly we can not handle this Display by the Max Chips but it is possible to build a difficlult electrical Setup.
In the "N" for example we need 6 lighting segments. So we can simply set this 6 lines ( with resistors and maby diodes) to a single line. If this line is powered then it support power to exactly this 6 Segments ( Indipendet from Max Chip) .

In Mobiflight the logic then is something like....
If a Numeric Number is need on that Display then show it via Max7219 ..... But If a "N" is needed then show simply BLANK via the Max. Additional a LED Output Config say If This digit is "N" then ON if not "N" then OFF ..... And this "LED Output" finaly power the N-Diodes manualy.

Another way is to work with a software solution...... So you controll the 14 Seg Diggit by 2 combined 7Seg Outputs. This is Difficult but mostly possible.
The Key is to know WHAT can all happen .... What are indicators for Preconditioning and finaly you must think long time to find a perfect logic that work.
Good Luck !
2019-11-21 17:18
DocMoebiuz
Hi there! I am surprised that N and S are not supported but I checked the library and indeed it is not.
W unfortunately is a bit difficult but you could map it to U but it is also not supported right now. Strange.

Let me add that to the todo list, it’s not a big effort. I like the idea to have a completer list of supported characters.

But now that I say it, S should be supported. I feel like i have displayed “std” on a display in the past. Did I use 5 instead of S?
Have a great day!
Sebastian

MobiFlight - Simply build your own home cockpit for your favorite flight sim - FSX, Prepar3D (FSUIPC), X-Plane (XPUIPC)
2019-11-21 19:38
jkatz098
Thanks mate!

That’s exactly the answer I was looking for!

We have E and 5 so I guess we just need ‘n’ and ‘u’
2019-11-22 02:22
pizman82
Supporter
iconDocMoebiuz:

Let me add that to the todo list, it’s not a big effort. I like the idea to have a completer list of supported characters.

Let me ask.... HOW do you plan this ???

If i understand logic correct then you work with the "BCD Code B" from the Max Chip..... Or do you realy create a "No Decode" Code a.t.m. ??

iconQuote:

The decode-mode register sets BCD code B (0-9, E, H,L, P, and -) or no-decode operation for each digit. Eachbit in the register corresponds to one digit. A logic highselects code B decoding while logic low bypasses thedecoder. Examples of the decode mode control-regis-ter format are shown in Table 4.When the code B decode mode is used, the decoderlooks only at the lower nibble of the data in the digitregisters (D3–D0), disregarding bits D4–D6. D7, whichsets the decimal point (SEG DP), is independent of thedecoder and is positive logic (D7 = 1 turns the decimalpoint on). Table 5 lists the code B font.When no-decode is selected, data bits D7–D0 corre-spond to the segment lines of the MAX7219/MAX7221.Table 6 shows the one-to-one pairing of each data bitto the appropriate segment line.

So with CodeB Font this looks not possible in case of limitation in MaxChip itself.

If you use a "No Decode" System we must realy talk about that..... Maby also to include a verry interesting tool for the future. Cause then you be able to give us a way to set a Display directly to one of the 128 possible results..... Verry Usefull to controll 14/16 Seg Displays by Mobiflight via simply connect TWO Cathodes to one Display.
Good Luck !
2019-11-22 05:59
DocMoebiuz
There is a character mapping built into the library. I am pretty sure that I had added more character mappings, for some reason they might have got lost when I updated the library or so.
Have a great day!
Sebastian

MobiFlight - Simply build your own home cockpit for your favorite flight sim - FSX, Prepar3D (FSUIPC), X-Plane (XPUIPC)
2019-11-22 15:06
jkatz098
When do you think this will be updated?
2019-11-25 08:16
DocMoebiuz
Probably this Thanksgiving weekend
Have a great day!
Sebastian

2019-11-26 23:07
icon