MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

Go to page 1Go to page 1123Go to page 3Go to page 3
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
Thank you very much guys for all your advice.
I'll try your suggestions tonight. Hopefully the precondition will solve the issue.
I will follow with more questions as these radios are quite challenging and different from typical Bendix models.
Once I've solved the on/off switch I'll let you know what's next :)

Cheers
Jay
2019-10-10 09:44
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
You guys are absolute geniuses:thumbup: :thumbup:

Two configs with one fake offset, precondition and compare function! Problem solved:w00t:
Love MobiFlight, It is so much more powerful than I anticipated..

This practice actually answered my next task where I'll need the Nav portion of the Collins kit to respond to a little switch, selecting either frequency or heading From/To the beacon.

Will keep you posted on the progress..
Once again, love the brilliant simplicity and great intuitive GUI of MF.

Thank you
Jay
2019-10-10 20:39
DocMoebiuz
Happy to hear it’s working for you! Keep updates coming on the cool stuff you build.
Have a great day!
Sebastian

MobiFlight - Simply build your own home cockpit for your favorite flight sim - FSX, Prepar3D (FSUIPC), X-Plane (XPUIPC)
2019-10-11 08:29
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
Alright, nearly there;)
I sort of managed to integrate all the "non-conventional" functions of the Collins radios. My config list is very loooong but it seems necessary though.
Anyway, there is one last obstacle I can't get over by myself.
The Nav portion on the radios has this innovative function (I'm talking 70ties hereB) ) where with a little dial you can display either frequency, bearing or radial from your tuned station. Mobiflight does this pretty neatly, however, if there is no signal from a localizer, the display should only write three dashes instead when in From/To mode.
I can pull the signal strength through offset 0C62 but I only need this config to write those three dashes on my display when the signal = 0.
When the signal goes above 0, the other configs (frequency, bearing, radial) should be able to write their values and I just can't figure out the logic here:confused:

Any ideas folks?
Jay
2019-10-27 16:59
pizman82
Supporter
Hi

Basicly this is the same like every other spot..... Its jut a question of "Preconditioning"

1. You can use the old system with precondition Tab ......
Here you create TWO Configs for the Display..... One That work in "normal" State .... For example if a Navaid is selected. And you get another Config that write always "---" if no navaid is selected..... The "Indcator" is a Offset that tell Mobiflight if a Naviad is allive and what "Option" Mobiflight should show on Display . (0C62 eg.)
In That case the fist Config that show Data have Precondition "Only if Config (That read 0C62) is Bigger then Zero >0 ..... The Config that how Dashes "---" got inverted precondition "Only work if Config of 6C62 is Zero =0 "

2. You can also use "Placeholder Tool" her but it is basicly more arvanced.....
I can tell you that if you need it ( symply request again here) .

NOTE: If you include other things...... For example same Display should show other Data if COM is selected..... Or if you include "Battery Off" logic here then the precondition get deeper and more difficult...... Then you need AND / OR Combinations.
Then "maby" the Placeholder Tool is more profitable...... Whatever you need i difficult "If Else" Code Line...... But you just need ONE Config instead of 3 or more.

So..... Tell me what you need finaly..... Then i can guide you to the perfect solution.
Good Luck !
2019-10-28 01:20
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
Thank you for the reply.
I was going to use precondition here but it got really confusing as there is just so many already.
Let explain little deeper.
There is a little selector switch underneath the display that has three positions (From, Freq, To).
This particular display in normal state shows frequency (Nav2).
Rotate to the left to display bearing in degrees.
Rotate to the right to display radial in degrees.
So far so good.
All three states (three configs) have their own preconditions tight to the switch "indicators".
Then there is also an OFF switch for each individual radio (our earlier chat). This is also setup with "indicator".
So, you see I have four configs (display freq, display from, display to, display off) and each one has a lot of precondition already so that only one is active at the time.
I was trying to include another "and/or" precondition but it's getting very complex and I started wondering if there is more straight forward way of doing this..?

Jay
2019-10-28 04:26
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
I forgot to mention what's the deal:)
The task is to have three dashes displayed only if these conditions are fulfilled:

Selector switch points to (From or To).
Signal strength = 0.
OFF switch of the radio = 1.

Thank you
Jay
2019-10-28 04:35
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
Lastly, you wrote "And you get another Config that write always "---" if no navaid is selected.."
How would you do this?
Compare tab?

Jay
2019-10-28 04:38
DocMoebiuz
I would add this as another precondition.

To reduce complexity:
First I recommend you to define a config that reflects this state properly so that you not have to reference all the three offsets all the time. That makes it easier to use in your preconditions.
Have a great day!
Sebastian

MobiFlight - Simply build your own home cockpit for your favorite flight sim - FSX, Prepar3D (FSUIPC), X-Plane (XPUIPC)
2019-10-28 13:49
pizman82
Supporter
Take care....

You running into a system Problem from Mobiflight, here.

You can basicly controll a display with multiple configs ( seperated via Preconditions) without problems.....
For example you can say a Display should show COM1 ( Via Config 1) or NAV1 (Via Config 2 ) and use a precondition like " If Physical switch Offset is 1 then show COM else show NAV) . Thats exactly what we do here.
BUT:
This only work fine if all your Outputs you like to share on the same Display also have the same SETUP ..... Means Number and Position of Digits.
Nav and Com have both 5 diggits..... So its no Problem.
But in your Case Nav have 5 Digits but the To, From and dashes have 3 diggits if i understand correct.

If you try to controll the Display with Config 1 on Diggit 1,2,3,4,5 and then with Config 2 on Diggit 2,3,4 ONLY ..... Then Mobiflight occure in Problems. Maby Digit 1,5 are not updated and stay in old status (whatever inactive now) and show the first and last number of Nav again...... Maby the full Display freeze and you must wait until a Value is changed so the system make a Update.

Summary..... You must get sure that ALL Configs that use this Display use ALL the same Number of Digits and the same specific Diggits. A Mix is not recommend.
And thats exactly the Point i start to talk about "Placeholder" ...... Cause with the new system its possible to make all reference work on a other spot ( mostly Transform and compare lines with a little part of code) and you finaly have only ONE Config that is controll the Display...... So there can be never a Issue like that.

Abouit the other questions.

The right spot to work with dashes "---" is compare Tab..... Only THERE you be able to use characters instead of numbers.
I just wondering why you ask...... You say you already use the Blank system by ON Switch...... That mean you got already a Config that say here something like THEN Space Space Space"
The Dashes is simmular.....
Youi need a config that always result in "---" ( By compare) and this config should always work if conditions are True.....
Like in the Balnk config where you say " Only work if Main switch is OFF" ...... You need in Dash Config something like " Only work if Main switch is on AND TO or From mode is on AND Signal Strength Offset is Zero."

Summary..... If you use Preconditions here you just need to build a row of preconditions WHEN this config must be Active or not.

Finaly as i said above..... As more Conditions as more complicated. Here the Variable Tool give us a bit more freedom. Maby also a combination is cool.
For example you can include the Dash logic with a placeholder but manage the Selected Mode already with oldschool Preconditions.
There is no perfect way..... But hundrets of possible ways.
Good Luck !
2019-10-28 14:51
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
As always, thank you guys for your extensive help and support.
The dual collins module has been officially finished :w00t:
Will post a video at some point.
After reading again and again through MF documentation and the forum, I finally got my head around it.
Added another indicator (as advised), config and preconditions. Works like a charm!
The thing with a "potential problem" where a different number of characters is displayed can be simply solved by adding "left padding" with use of "spaces". Wanted to give you heads up if somebody else runs into the same issue.

As I'm gonna move onto the next portion of my cockpit build, here's an idea that popped in my head while thinking about the ever-growing config list in MF connector.
Would it be too much hassle to introduce some kind of "grouping" into the MF GUI?
I mean the list of configs specifically. Something like a basic "folder/subfolder" system where we would have let's say "radio stack" group/folder which would contain everything related to radio stack. Click on a little plus sign to see all its configs etc.

Just an idea, since it's recommended to use short names and the number of configs can get seriously large, I think it's gonna be rather tricky to navigate through the whole list.

Regards
Jay
2019-10-31 06:30
pizman82
Supporter
Hi

The recomendation for short names is basicly no longer existing.
With 7.6.0 (and/or) 7.7.0 this problem should be solved completly. So technical you also can use "longer" names at the moment. ( No Reports about problems till now)

About your solution..... This is correct but not solve all problems..... There are elements, that need no Spaces.... Need for example Zeros to the Right etc..... So LEft Padding "can" be a good hint..... But it is not a perfect solution for all situations.

About Request.....
Your Idea is nice and also requested long time ago..... The problem is basicly this will need a deeper rework of the Mobiflight Config Logic ( mcc file).
At the moment the Configs are shown simply in the sequence where they are written in the code.

So it is not possible a.t.m. to move for example a Config Line.
If you create a Configline in a File that include already 50 Configs e.g. then the new line is simply on the end of the file.
Its not possible to move this line for example somewhere in the middle where other parts of this element ( like radio) are used..... Cause this would need to "copy paste" the whole code part to the other spot.

Whatever..... I'm 100% agree with you and will request this again to Sebastian.

Basicly i see two possible ways.....

1. Including a "Folder" System and allow moving of Configs..... Directly written by the system into the config file.... So the Read logic stay in current status..... We just "write" every "Moving" from Configs/ Folders etc directly in the mcc file.

2. Working with "Tags" . We include a new Config Item in every config called "Label/Tag" or so..... Maby limmited to 16 Characters.
The user can now use a "Name" for a Group of configs ( Like everytime "Radio" if its a part of the Radio) .
Here the Sequence of Configs stay completly same like now..... A New Config is already on the End.
BUT
The User can now in the GUI "sort" Configs by this Name..... Or show only configs of a Group etc.

Lets wait for Sebastians Ideas.
Good Luck !
2019-10-31 16:49
DocMoebiuz
I had this idea in the past too (see https://bitbucket.org/mobiflight/mobiflightfc/issues/176/allow-grouping-of-configs-for-easier)

I had always a tree like view in mind, where you can collapse and unfold the group to save space. This might be very helpful if you work on a certain part of the Config.
Another idea was to have also the MobiFlight board as the root node. So that you have a grouping by hardware too.
I never finished my thoughts because it was never really requested but I can spend effort and think about it again.
Have a great day!
Sebastian

2019-11-01 04:34
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
I think both of these options (individual config as well as individual board grouping) would be absolutely awesome and sooooo very helpful when navigating through the system.

Please give it some thoughts Sebastian;)

Regards
Jay
2019-11-01 09:32
pizman82
Supporter
Another Idea ....

If the full rework of the logic ( pretty sure including a rebuild of mcc file syntax) is to difficult we can also maby look for a simply " alphabetic " filter in the Connector Window.

For example in my Smartphone Contact list i do this since lots of years..... Important numbers like my Job or my best friends are saved as "AA Work" or "AAA Wolfgang"
Simply to put them On Top of my calling lists.

If we be able to simply sort the configs by there name (Alphabetic) then we can name all Configs by there Group ... Like all "MCP Button BlaBla" MCP Display BlaBla"
Then all MCC are in a Block and also first all Buttons and behind all Displays .

That would be maby the most easy methode that can be implement with a minimum of work.
Good Luck !
2019-11-01 13:54
Go to page 1Go to page 1123Go to page 3Go to page 3