MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
Cheario
Hello,

I have wired up a MAX7219 7 segment display as shown on the Mobiflight tutorial. In this case, it is displaying my autopilot IAS and it correctly does so. I change the value and it updates as it should. However, after many value changes the display shows 'OP3000' where on the next value change after that the display simply appears to turn off. Using the reset button on the Adruino and then stop/start on the Mobiflight config will bring the display to the value it should be.

I have tried using another display but there is the same issue. The debug log in Mobiflight shows that it is sending what it should be to the module. I am using the Adruino Mega R3
2019-06-20 17:01
pizman82
Supporter
Never heard that.

Does it shos "OP3000" every time ??? How many Diggits do you use ??? IAS are 3 diggits how can you see 6 here ?

If possible please show us how many Configs work on that display..... And how you set the Diggits.
Good Luck !
2019-06-20 18:26
Cheario
It usually turns to random numbers when the display decides to glitch out but this time I saw letters so figured it may be some sort of error code. After changing the value again of IAS on the autopilot, the display then goes blank if the display is in a glitched state.

At the moment I only have IAS mapped to the display

The display in question is: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CKSKNGW
2019-06-20 18:34
pizman82
Supporter
OK.

If you use only this Config ( 3 diggits active) and your Display show you something on the other Displays then we got 99% a issue in the hardware.

1. The Display itself is broke.
This happens maby in 1-2 % of all Displays you order from China. ( I don´t think so)

2. The Connectors are broke
This happens multiple times.... Those "blue pcb" i orderd from China are mostly broke in 30% of orders. A Simple resolder of the 2x5 Pin headers solve the Problem.

3. Wrong connection.
Max7219 are VERRY sensetive..... a little wriggle contact and it stops and must be initial booted again ( Reset of MEGA) . Please confirm your wire work is solder. Breadboard setup or dupont wires wont work. The contact on the MaxTube side must be solderd 100% correct. Also the wires on Mega must fit pefect and chould not be touched. again.. Every touching of wires for a millisecond can kill the process.

I recommend.... If you got multiple displays..... Rework the solders..... Check for perfect work. Test multiple displays.
Pretty sure this is a hardware issue.
Good Luck !
2019-06-20 18:45
Cheario
Was using dupoint wires which may have been my issue. Soldering appears to have resolved my issue for now.

Thank you for the help! :)
2019-06-20 19:09
icon