MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
agusti747
Hi guys,
Thank you for your awesome job!
I would like to use an 20x4 LCD display to show 6 values: HDG, CRS and IAS on the first line and ALT VSI and Minimums on the 4 line.
I can do it with the four first values, but not with 5, 6 and 7, due there only are 4 fields on the display config tab:

It's possible to do it or to add three more values in thit config settings?
I think it will be useful for large displays.
At the moment, I need this 6 values:

But it will be very useful with more than 6. F.e. printing AP modes on line 2 or 3. (AP, NAV, HGD, APP....)

Thank you!
Austin
[Last edited by agusti747, 2019-05-28 15:45]
2019-05-28 14:51
pizman82
Supporter
Hi.

This request is done by multiple people and is still on the ToDo List. Sebastian not announce until today if he agree with that but i think he looking forward to change this up to 6 Variables if i remember right.

I think in the past he make a compromise... More Variables enlarge the code of the MCC File. So he thought a maximmum uf 4 Lines will fit with 4 Variables.
I basicly agree with your intentions but i also understand his planings.

Solution till the "maby" comming patch.

1. The Maximum at the moment is not four variables... its FIVE.
In the Display Config Itself you can also read a value (Offsetadress) . Like in all other Configs the "$ DOLLAR" Symbol represent the value of current config.
So you can use for example % § ? # for the 4 variables and additional $ as a fith variable.

2.You can combine 2 (or more) Configs to One Display aslong only 1 config is Active at the moment.
So its NOT possible to show Variable 1-4 via config 1 on line 1,2 and SAME Time Variable 5-8 via Config 2 on Line 3,4
BUT
Its Possible to show Variable 1-4 via Config 1 .... And Variable 5-8 via config 2 in own sequences/instances. All needed is a indicator.
For example you can set a switch . In Upper position Config A work and show Variable 1-4 in lower position Config B work and show Variable 5-8
Same is possible with a toggle Button to switch between for example 10 different Modis.
Finaly you can also use a static indicator .... Like "If Flaps are Up show Variable 1-4 .... If Flaps are in use (While Landing or Takeoff) then show Variable 5-8 .

3. Rework of Data .
Basicly the "Variable" with placeholder is internal a "String" Value . You can split it in theory.
So if you use in Display Text field for example "Alpha %% Bravo %% Charly %%" and value of our variable is for example "123456"
then result should be "Alpha 12 Bravo 34 Charly 56 "
With this trick its theoretical possible to rework the system a bit.

With own scripting or a tricky combining of Offsets that are in a row you can show 2 or more Informations in only one Config/Variable.
But this is advanced stuff !
Good Luck !
2019-05-28 15:38
agusti747
Hi pizman82,

Thanks for your detailed explanation ;)

I can live with 5 values, I didn't knew it. But before, I will try to fight with a data rework.

I have a lot of job to do. I will post here if I can do it..

Thank you!
Austin
2019-05-28 15:56
Thierry70
Hi;
There is a simple way to display an unlimited number of variables on a 2004 LCD or 1602 LCD.
In a Lua script, you create 4 variables: line_01, line_02, line_03 and line_04. You concatenate your datas in these 4 variables with for example:
line_02 = Freq_act .. " " .. Freq_stb
line_03 = Mode .." " .. Name VOR .. " " .. Cap .. " " .. indicator
line_04 = Heading .. " " .. Distance .. " " .. Speed .. " .. Temps_minutes .. ":" .. Temps_Seconds.
where Freq_act, Freq_stb, Mode, VOR Name... represent the values you want to display.
All that remains is to send in Mobiflight the 4 values line_01, line_02, line_03 and line_04.
I display 12 values on my radio screen and as many on a 1602 LCD screen if the values are short.

;) ;) ;)
2019-05-28 21:19
pizman82
Supporter
:thumbup:

Thats what i mean with "advanced stuff" ! .... Maby your comment " simple way" is a bit wrong for a new user :P

But sure.... Thats the "perfect" way. Here you create a simple string offset ( 20 Characters e.g.) and the LUA script will create the needed output data.
Then Mobiflight just read each line in a config and you create just the placeholders.
In that case the Display field is completly filled with placeholders.
Only problem here.... Mobiflight must read 80 Bytes of Information in each turnaround. This will slightly reduce performance.
Good Luck !
2019-05-28 21:43
Thierry70
It’s not very difficult. I’m a new user of MF myself. I had never used MF or FSUIPC or Lua language four months ago... and I discovered P3D less than a month ago.
The decline in MF performance is very small. I also programmed a second screen (LCD 16002) which gives a lot of specific informations depending on the phasis of the flight. The tests that determine the phases of the flight use more time than the display (LCD screens are slow and MF remains faster than the display).
2019-05-28 22:58
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Thierry,

if you are familiar with LUA scripts, what would you think of writing a tutorial? That would help many users!
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-05-29 01:46
Thierry70
Hi Stephan.
Difficult to write a tutorial about Lua, the subject is too broad (and I’m starting...)
But if you want, I can make a small presentation, give some tips and put links to existing tutorials and to the references instructions of this language.
Thierry
2019-05-29 18:03
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Thierry,

that would be great.

There are indeed some LUA tutorials on the net, but which are tailored to the FSX / P3D I have not found.
It would be great if you would spend the time and bring us closer to LUA, even as a small presentation.
Even if you are just starting out with LUA, you already have more knowledge of it than most here. So I would love it!
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-05-29 20:31
Thierry70
OK I’ll do that as soon as I have a little time. ;)
Is it possible to write it in French because my English is not very good for technical words and this can create errors or difficulties in understanding ?
2019-05-29 21:07
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi, translate it with the google translator. Then all can read it right away without having it translated.
I can well imagine that many will be happy about your presentation.
Do as you have time, do not hurry. Good thing wants to have time ;)
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-05-30 01:17
icon