MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

Go to page 1Go to page 112Go to page 3Go to page 2
pizman82
Supporter
iconpaul_max:

The 74HC148 chip will do that and you can buy 4 for $2.

This chip is not supported by Mobiflight atm. i think !

What Input Device should be used here in settings ??
Good Luck !
2018-07-28 17:10
paul_max
Supporter
Pizman82

If we share our ideas, it should be possible to design a GUI that reads N consecutive pins as an N-bit binary value and convert it to an integer value for the sim.

Then many chips and switch combinations can be used by the user.

Paul
2018-07-28 23:03
StephanHo
Supporter
Paul,

I think when it comes to the possibilities of MF, we are here on the question of Dave OFF TOPIC.

This is not about the question of what options there are to solve Dave's problem, but rather about which device he should take concrete, which also works with MF and currently eliminates his acute problem.

If you want to change MF's GUI, or if you have good ideas about what should be implemented in MF, then you should either contact Sebastian or actively contribute to designing MF at Bitbucket.
Grüße,
Stephan
2018-07-28 23:33
pizman82
Supporter
Again OFF TOPIC .... sorry about that

@ Paul.....
You know my Opinion about that already.

If you or another one like to do this.... Then this is a benefit for Mobiflight basicly. But for every planed feature i think we should ask ourself some questions.

1. Is the result of the new feature currently already possible or not ?
In this case.... a 8 Position Roatary can be set with 8 Wires and 8 Pins already. Only negative fact is need of 5 more pins.

2. Does the feature make the Hardware Part more easy ?
In this case i would say NO. On your shematic i see you need resistors.... a additional chip and finaly much more wires (or a specific pcb) for that... Only benefit would be saving of 5 Pins ( by the way.... most Rotarys we need are 3,4, or 5 Pos..... So Saving is maby ONLY 0-2 Pins Finaly in most cases.)

3. Does the Feature make the Software Part more easy ?
I would say NO, too. A New Device in the List .... A need for a tutorial how to work with 74HC178 .... A new code part to let MF work with this feature. ... and Finaly a new GUI element that increase learning difficult for new users.

4. Does feature save Money ?
Maby Yes Maby No. .... A Mega cost ~10$ You save 5 Pins per Full need Rotary .... If i Need 10 Rotarys (8 Pos) then i need 1 Mega more like you ....
You otherwise need 10x Chip ... Resistors .... And more work time as simply connect 8 cables in mega.... Summary. For a Full B737-A320 cockpit maby a save of 10-15 $ at all.

BUT Important.... I will say NOT that the feature is bad or you should not do it !!!

I will say that we have lots of other stuff (Raw Ideas, already calculated concepts, a.s.o.) that have much more Priority .....
All this things can awnser the questions above positiv .... Mostly features that are verry usefull but NOT POSSIBLE in current Mobiflight.

For example Important missing features ( in my opinion)
- a tool to use 4 or more variables of different Configs in one Transform or Precondition line...... Like IF A=1 AND B=2 Then C ELSE D
(Usefull for deeper Preconditions or for Lighttest/ Battery Off and Blank Configs ... ALL in ONE Config and not 3or more for every Led each like now)

- a way to see Current Status of Input Devices all the time ( Not only when press/release) ... For a Always Sync Logic or for controlling Multi Displays.
Like "IF Homecockpit Switch is ON then Show Com1 on Display .... If OFF Show Com 2 " ..... That also would solve the Startup Problem for Static switches finaly

- Support for 14 Segement Displays .... And Support for a Binary Input Masc for 7/14 segement Displays to controll ever Diggit single.
. Support for a Blinking Output wirh a choice for Blinking frequency like 250ms 500ms 750ms 1000ms

For example other things Users request miltiple times but i see NO NEED at the moment
- Support for Matrix Input / Output to save Pins ( Cause we can have thausends of Pins with MF)
- Support for a other 7 Segment Chip ( Only cause they have prenmade 3,4,5 diggit Blocks in a special color)
- Support for Potentiometers ( Cause every UNO can do this for 5$ or less) ....
- Support for Xplane or other Sims ( Cause maby 85% of users have FSX/P3D .... 10-14% Use Xplane and have with ARDSim a good MF alternate .... So for 1% with other Sims we not need to rework our programm)

Finaly.... I Hope you understand my intentions..... But i always be ready for a discussion about that via Email or VoIp.

Thanks for Reading... And Thanks for your Input, PaulMax !
Good Luck !
2018-07-29 04:51
paul_max
Supporter
iconStephanHo:

Paul,

I think when it comes to the possibilities of MF, we are here on the question of Dave OFF
If you want to change MF's GUI, or if you have good ideas about what should be implemented in MF, then you should either contact Sebastian or actively contribute to designing MF at Bitbucket.

Stephan,
Yes it would be good to contribute at Bitbucket.

But the Donate button sends money to one fixed person. My view is that policy removes the incentive to contribute i.e. work for free.

Regards
Paul
2018-07-29 08:23
StephanHo
Supporter
Paul,

you know, Mobiflight is freeware and donation only. The few dollars that come in, I think, are not enough to cover the cost of maintaining the server. But it is and remains freeware. Sebastian has met this decision and I think, as long as he does not change that, it will stay that way.

To my knowledge, there are a lot of people who are interested in and enjoy using Mobiflight without thinking about the money. It is far from my heart to regret or criticize these people. On the contrary, I think that's great. They're not the kind of people who first ask what they can do to make money, but they commit to a project, knowing that they will not get any money for it. I take off my hat in front of these people!

If you're one of those who are motivated by pay, then you're wrong on Mobiflight.
Grüße,
Stephan
2018-07-29 09:30
paul_max
Supporter
Stephan,

The issue is not cash for developers, but open reporting on where the money goes.

The server costs are not listed anywhere, there is no summary of income and expenditure. These issues are important on an open source project, that many people can contribute to.

Regards
Paul
2018-07-30 18:19
StephanHo
Supporter
Paul,

Mobiflight is not a company. Companies have to take over their assets and liabilities. If MF is asked for donations, it is only something voluntary. It should be clear to everyone that the wealth of donations is not so high that Sebastian goes out with his family every day, maintains a yacht and his sports cars need a hall.

As a user, it simply does not interest me what Sebastian does with it.

Breaking this discussion off here now, I think is wrong.

You can ask Sebastian without obligation, if and how developers participate in it, but I think, you have no right to an answer. If you want to get involved in development, you can do that and make conditions. Whether it is then discussed is another question.

For example, I get involved here because I enjoy it. I do not want anything other than feedback, and the question of more does not even come to my mind.

For here should now be over now. If you would like to discuss this with me, feel free to contact me at stephanho ( a t ) t-online.de, but it does not belong here. We're off topic ;)
Grüße,
Stephan
2018-07-30 18:54
Go to page 1Go to page 112Go to page 3Go to page 2