MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
Mishkacat
Supporter
Hi,

Looking to get some help with a problem with LED 7 segment displays. I have built a prototype MCP using 2 arduino boards and 1 Leo Bodnar board. I have buttons, switches, rotary encoders and LED Modules for the readouts. Everything works great except a problem with the 7 segment displays. I have all the cards plugged into a passive USB hub, I tried a powered one but this kept causing the Mega boards to need to be restarted.

I have 5 of the modules daisy chained and I have used a separate 5v supply for each module. Up to now all has worked OK - now and again I have to restart Mobiflight as the displays froze but generally they have been working fine. Yesterday I was able to do two 2 hour flights with no problems but today I am unable to get the displays to work at all - the displays either just stayed blank so I unplugged the Mega board, re-plugged it in and even restarted the PC but all I now get is the modules showing zero's. Starting Mobilflight does not solve the problem nor does connecting to different USB ports. I tried just connecting a single module but same problem. Using the test function in MF does not show anything on the display although the other LEDs connected to the same board test and work fine.

I have the buttons and switches connected to one Mega board, the rotary encoders to a Bodnar board and the LEDs and Max 7129 modules connected to another Mega board

I found some info on another topic here relating to USB hubs which I made a comment on but felt a different topic would be better even though I feel it may be related to a hub issue. However even plugging the boards directly to the PC does not fix this. I also have an issue that when restarting the flight sim (P3D v4) I keep getting Mobiflight reporting a missing board - orphaned serials etc. So I am wondering if there is a USB problem. I have tried a different Mega board but the issue still remains.

I am hoping I have just done something wrong as this has become really frustrating as it worked OK and now problems.

I hope someone may be able to help with this - I have checked all of the wiring and all seems fine

Dave
2018-03-12 12:55
John-Alex-Warren
I had a similar problem a while back, and it turned out to be the USB cable..

Maybe worth trying another if you haven't already?
2018-05-30 23:19
icon