MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

Go to page 1Go to page 112Go to page 3Go to page 2
pizman82
Supporter
hhhm.
Difficult without seeing your system.
Please Duoblecheck your other config is disabled correct ( Or a 3.rd config is maby controlling the same thing whithout you know that)
I High recommend to check those things in a testing ground. ( Not with your full Config for hole MCP....
Simply make a Testing Config.... Use a New Mega if you go one and only install a single 8 Diggit Block.
No Inputs just the Configs you need here.
So you can find out a problem much more easy.

About the "o"
I must test this next week if i find time.
Normaly this should work but maby the Syntax of Mobiflight not include the Hexa Code for the "o" . Then in not work.
In that case you can work tricky.....
Please rethink: WHAT Must be shown on this Displays ?
If the Display only show THIS 00 or better "oo" then you can do it by "Hardware" .... You can Rewire the Display so only the "o" Segments are powerd when "0" is need,
BUT That only work if that Display NOT need to show other things. If it must show 5 and 0 for example then we must figure out if its possible again.
Also you must know if you use "Single Diggits" or a Block with 3,4,5,6 etc Diggits. ...With Single Diggits you can do much more Stuff here by Hardware solutions !
Good Luck !
2018-05-13 15:45
juleiin
Hello!

I found another way of configuring in order to skip de bug.

But I still have a problem, since I plugged 3 max7219 in parallel, they now show weird stuff in test mode (like 123. Y. or 123 5.)

When tested alone they all work perfectly.

If I plug something more in the 5v pin (even if I don't plug in to an other 7 segment) the bug arrives.. I think there's not enough intensity no ??

Do you know where it could come from ?

Thanks,
Julien
[Last edited by juleiin, 2018-05-28 18:32]
2018-05-28 18:26
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Julien,

how many Pins of your MEGA do you use for the 3 MAX7219 Boards?

Or did you connect them as a daisy chain in a row with a total of 3 Pins?

How do you energize the boards? Any board with a direct 5V line or board to board?

Check the wiring, GND(!), VCC and data-wires.

Check the soldering points
Grüße,
Stephan (Time: UTC+1)
2018-05-28 18:36
juleiin
HI Stephan,

Here is my wiring :

https://imgur.com/a/C3124Rx

No daisy chain because I read we could put up to 4 max7219 in parralel.

I energise de board via the usb of my computer.

I only have one board.

No direct 5v, is it this ? The computer is not enough ?

Thanks.
2018-05-28 18:48
StephanHo
Supporter
I think, you are using the boards as daisy chain.

You have two possibilities:

1. Wire every MAX-board separatley with 5V

2. Remove on every(!) MAX board the Diode D1 and wire-bridge them.

Background: D1 is for protection in case of changing 5V/GND. But if you power the 1st board with 5V you lost 0,7V over D1 so board 1 has a power of 4,3V. Second board also has a D1. So you lost again 0,7V, so the 2nd works with 3,6V. Then the 3rd. 0,7V over D1 = 2,9V -> The minimum Voltage for the MAX-chip ist 3,4V. The 3rd and all following boards won't work! So you have to take solution 1 or 2 from above. D1 is the key. If you power every board separately with 5V while keeping the D1s all boards will work fine.
Grüße,
2018-05-28 18:54
juleiin
i didn't know this was called daisy chained. I thought it was called parralel so you don't loose tension but intensity.

And i thought daisy chained was this : https://imgur.com/a/YcfgRh1

1. How do you power max board separately ? What do I need to get ?

2. What is wire bridging ?

3. To remove de D1 I just break it ?

4. The loss of tension due to D1 also occurs in parallel ???

I don't understand, I thought loss of tension is only in serie.

I really appreciate your help.

Julien
[Last edited by juleiin, 2018-05-28 19:09]
2018-05-28 19:02
StephanHo
Supporter
If I see you picture then you use every board separately - no daisy chain!

For daisy chain your boards please use the search function of this forum an search for "MAX7219" and "daisy chain". There you'll find a lot of pictures. They illustrate how to daisy chain the boards.

as you build that, you waste the MEGA's connections.

To your questions:

1. So how you did it. Every board is wired separately. With a daisy chain you can connect up to 8 boards in a chain (with only 3 wires plus Vcc and GND). In this way you can create 4 chains with 8 boards so that you have in a maximum 32 boards x 8 digits = 256 digits!!

2. wire bridging means: remove (in this case: D1) and you will get 2 solder pads the D1 has been soldered. Solder a blank wire from pad to pad. That's it.

3. To break the D1 is brutally. Desoldering is the magic way ;)

4. No, in your case you have built it not
Grüße,
2018-05-28 19:32
juleiin
I can't daisy chained them because of how the fcu is made.

You say I powered each board separately but why then second and third board are displaying weird stuff or even nothing sometimes (stop/start/stop/start)

You also say with how i built it I don't have loss of tension, so why are the board not working well when not use alone ??

For information my computer is plugged in so with full power, normally.. might it be the issue ?

I'm afraid that with the 20-ish led, the fcu will not work with one mega board..

I don't understand :cry: :cry: :cry:

THIS IS HOW I BUILT IT : https://imgur.com/a/C3124Rx

Sorry
[Last edited by juleiin, 2018-05-28 19:50]
2018-05-28 19:42
StephanHo
Supporter
Of course, you can chain them.

Look here:

https://www.mobiflight.com/forum/message/4722.html

What happens if you are in the config wizard and press the test button? Will the digits you have defined become active?

Have you wired all 3 as shown in the picture?

Check the configuration
a) of the devices
b) the configuration itself (offsets)
c) Wiring

If the test proceeds satisfactorily in the wizard, the wiring is OK
If the display is not correct, check the offsets, possibly also check Transform.

If you have a gauge, you can check the tension on each module.

You can draw 500mA of power for each USB port. I use 14 5 digit tubes on a mega (1 chain with 8 and one with 6 displays) and that's no problem in terms of voltage.

What do you mean with 20-ish LED and FCU?
Grüße,
2018-05-28 20:41
juleiin
I don't have the necessary tools at the moment, that's why i wanted to use them separately (in parralel)

If if press the test button with only one max board plugged the digits work great. If I plug two, or three, sometimes it does not show anything and sometimes stuff like 123(space)5. or 12345(space)(space)(space)Y. When there are used alone test works and config works.

I think the wiring is ok because digits show up (sometimes weirdly but still)

The configuration is ok because when only one max board plugged it does what I want

I think the issue is wiring.. and power..

For the wiring I did exactly what I mentionned before except the triple vcc and ground is made on the breadboard of course because you can't plug 3 wires in the 5v pin aha.

With the 20 ish led I meant if I don"t manage to supply enough power to power up 2 max board, I can't imagine how it will be with 20 more leds.

I don't know what to do, I'm so close to finish :confused:

If you have any clues again or if you can draw the wiring it would be super nice :) (I have a mega, a breadboard, wires, computer for powering via usb and 3 max7219)

In the config of mf I have 3 ledmodule, each are number 1, with 3 pin used per board (+5v and gnd) is it ok ?

In this post : https://www.mobiflight.com/forum/message/4901.html there is a problem I have for example :

iconQuote:

I found that the boards just stopped working completely, especially of an encoder was then adjusted.

[Last edited by juleiin, 2018-05-28 21:48]
2018-05-28 21:21
pizman82
Supporter
Hi

Maby i got see your problem.....

iconjuleiin:

If you have any clues again or if you can draw the wiring it would be super nice :) (I have a mega, a breadboard, wires, computer for powering via usb and 3 max7219)

Max7219 Tubes are verry sensible..... A improvisional setup with dupont wires will occure in big trouble most if time. Especialy in the PIn Header on Left and Right Side of the Tubes.

It´s high recommend to SOLDER the Pins with cables for testing it.
If your Dupont connector for example is missing contact for a millisecond then the datastream is broke and it result in a crazy output.

You say problem is on second or third display..... Do you always use the SAME display for second and third ? Ot better said.... Do you test every Display in a single Setup and does ALL 3 Displays EACH work fine in single use ?

In your linked topic from above i tell about a good Testing manual..... Check This.https://www.mobiflight.com/forum/message/4920.html
If you not work with a chain then only Step 1 is important.... Step 2 is just for chains !
Good Luck !
2018-05-29 08:00
juleiin
Hi :)

I have soldered the little thing given with the tube to te input of the tube. Then I usemale/female dupont wires. The thing is with one tube only (and I did the method in your tutorial) each tube is working. But whenever I plug 2 or 3 in parallel (not daisy chain -> so I have 3x3=9 pins used on digital + the 5V pin connected to the breadboard on the + line and the GND pin connected on the - line of the breadboard. But I repeat with only one tube, whether the 5V and GND pin are directly plugged on the arduino or via the breadboard it works perfect.

When I say second or third position it is not really the case because in parallel they're all in first position, I can't telle which one is 1, 2 or 3 because the 5V pin of each is connected to the + line of the breadboard.

Do you mean the breadboard could be the cause to the problem ? Cause the current circuit is exactly this one :

I will try again today I may be take a video of it.

Thanks,
Julien
[Last edited by juleiin, 2018-05-29 08:22]
2018-05-29 08:10
pizman82
Supporter
your setup looks ok.

Its no mater if you connect the 2x 5v direct in one Pin of Arduino or if you use the Breadboard like a common line. that should be no problem.

Please confirm you use for testing simply the TEST Button of you Config Wizzard in the Display Tab.
( Just to get shure you not have simply a issue in the conigs itself)

What i will do here.....

Set your System like in the Picture.
Connect your Arduino to USB ..... Important NOT Touch the Arduino or the Breadboard - Display cunstruction from now. ( No Vibration on table also)
If Arduino is set on USB you should NEVER Change a part on the board... Not set/Remove a Display.... Not touch a cable that is just improvisonal set.

Start Mobiflight
Create ONE Config ( Get Shure only this 2 Displays are set in Devices... Use a Empty Mega if Possible for testing)
Now use in this config ( Offset is not important for example 0000) The FIRST Display as Device.
Click on TEST in Display Tab.
Display should show 12345678

THEN
Change Device in this config to Display 2
Do again the TEST in Display Tab.
Now on second Display should showed 12345678

To test both simply use the Preset for COM1 for 1 Display and NAV1 for second.
Use a standard cessna for example.

Summary both should work fine with this setup.
Good Luck !
2018-05-29 08:45
juleiin
Ok update, with com1 active, com1 standby, com2 active, all three displays work great in a dedicated config.

So the issue must be with my jeehell config, which i created using only one display, now that I have three, I must have done some mistake, but I checked that I choose the correct display for the output.. i'm gonna dig this today!

Update 2 : now it works with my jeehell config (using arduino 3x5v pins and not the breadboard), i don't know what fixed the issue.. apart from unchecking debug mode may be (but this was done for the encoder thing) or recreating the entries of the 3 displays

Update 3 : the breadboard is the problem, because the exact same config as above (that worked) but using the + line and - line on the breadboard make the display bug.

So pizman you were right!!
[Last edited by juleiin, 2018-05-29 10:18]
2018-05-29 09:59
pizman82
Supporter
iconjuleiin:

So pizman you were right!!

Not realy.... I said the breadboard should work fine, too.

But shure.... If the breadboard is broke or there is a bad connection there and you got a electrical issue by touching the board THEN the breadboard is a "bad" option.

For the Future....
If something is wrong always try the "Sherlok Holmes" Methode..... simply exclude all possible situations.... The last one must be the true solution !

So in your case....
At First test the Display itself... For example with direct Power or a simple Arduino sketch ( External of Mobiflight) to get shure Display itself is working correct.
Then test this without a Active config (Test Mode) to exclude a issue in SIM Communication.
Then use a standard Aircraft to exclude a problem in a AddOn
then use already confirmed Preset to exlucde a issue in your self made config ...
and so on....
With every step you can exlude another possible issue reason !
Good Luck !
2018-05-29 23:09
Go to page 1Go to page 112Go to page 3Go to page 2