MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
Flyerman
Hi, im new here,

IM trying to connect some nema stepper motors via a TB6600 Driver for an auto-throttle set up i have.
The throttle already has a potentiometer for figuring out where it is and i was wondering if any one know how it would work and what the wiring would look like?

Cheers

Flyerman
2021-12-31 01:54
pizman82
Supporter
Hi

Like always.... Please share Links and Datasheet!

I not know "WHAT" Nema Motor you use at the moment.
So please protect me of google searches and show me what you need!
Good Luck !
2021-12-31 08:20
Whiteknuckle157
Hi,

to my knowledge, unipolar steppers can not be connected to mobiflight yet. These (usually NEMA 14, 17, 23) steppers habe four wires to the driver and the driver is connected to the Arduino with two or three wires (enable - might be omitted, dir and step). The drivers for bipolar steppers (like 28BYJ-48) have four wires (IN1-IN4)connected to the Arduino and five wires to the stepper motor.

cheers

Volker
2021-12-31 17:22
Flyerman
Hi,
My apologies
I’m using nema 17 stepper motors commonly found on 3d printers and tb6600 stepper drivers, along with 10k pots using leobodnar board to interface.

Nema motors

https://datasheetspdf.com/pdf/1260602/Schneider/NEMA17/1

Tb 6600 stepper drive https://www.mcielectronics.cl/website_MCI/static/documents/TB6600_data_sheet.pdf

I’m trying to make a motorised throttle quadrant with p3d 737 and if mobiflight doesn’t support nema motors what would be a good powerful alternative
2021-12-31 17:39
pizman82
Supporter
OK.

I´m sorry but i have no experience with that motors..... maybe Stephan can say something about it!

Basically....
Most users not work with Stepper or Servo for the Throttles....
Cause this give the big problem that we can not move the throttle by hand ......
If Motor is ON we would work against the torque..... If Motor is OFF we would may destroy the small motors, that are used by most cockpitbuilders.

Solution is a Clutch System that mechanical allow us to move the throttly by hand.....
But then there is no longer a known Position supported..... ( If we move Throttle but motor not move in case of clutch, the motor no longer know where the throttle is located.

Solution:
People mostly work with a simple Motor that is controlled not like a Stepper..... We simply send a signal if it should be ON or OFF and if it should turn Clockwise or Counterclockwise.

For caluclation we Read the current Position of the Virtual Throttle (Read from Sim) and the current Position of the Real Throttle ( Read from that Poti).
Finally we compare these two values..... And we say... IF Value is equal.... Motor is OFF. If Value is not Equal Motor is ON .... And we define direction by define if the difference is postive or negative by e.g. subtract the Real from the Virtual Position.

I hope you understand!

IF you need more input.... Come to DISCORD.... And Talk to "DeltaBravo" ..... He build a full motor Throttle for a B747 ( 4 Eng) with Mobiflight !
Good Luck !
2021-12-31 18:06
Flyerman
Okay that makes sense,
would you me able to recommend any motors that would be useful and how would i drive them via mob flight?

Cheers
Flyerman
2021-12-31 18:32
pizman82
Supporter
For Steppers all is fine that can be controlled via the ULN2003 Controller.

As i know some users also use other Controllers with only 2 Controll wires by a hack to split the Lines to 4 again ( AA-BB ) .
But here i have no experience.

About the "Standard Motors" with just 2-3 Pins for Direction and ON-OFF State....
Here for MF this is no special requirment....
In MF we see this Device not like a Motor.... We see it like LED´s.

We build technical a logic that say: If Motor should be ON please Light LED1 --- If Motor should be turn Clockwise Light LED2

Means for example:
LED1 ON and LED2 ON = Motor Turn Clockwise
LED1 ON and LED2 OFF = Motor Turn Counterclockwise
LED1 OFF and LED2 on or off = Motor not Turn !

Also logics with 3 LED Outputs are possible.

I recommend: Talk to the Pro-Users.
They are not here in Forum!
Please Join DISCORD https://discord.gg/99vHbK7
Write a request in the Projects / Throttle section.... Or directly PM the guys who build this and share there Pics/Videos There.
They pretty sure will help you in a personal conversation !
Good Luck !
2021-12-31 18:39
shaka3zulu4@gmail.com
Any chance support for Nema Steppers is coming?
[Last edited by shaka3zulu4@gmail.com, 2022-09-13 00:28]
2022-09-12 22:49
Crvak
Hello. I just managed to connect nema 17 stepper motor using TB6600 driver.
A+, A-, B+, B- are those for pins for MF. ENA+ connect 5V pin and ENA- any free pin from arduino. It worked for me at least up to test mode. I am still trying to adjust correct settings

Cheers
2022-11-22 20:12
Crvak
Also forgot to mention how to connect

Example: Arduino pins are D2, D3, D4, D5

So: A+ to D2, A- to D4, B+ to D3, B- to D5
2022-11-22 20:14
icon