MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
hrings
I have read about dimming with PWM in the latest updating of the connector.
I have tried to get it to work but in wain,
Is there anyone that can explain me the way and how that is done.
Appreciate if any one can send med the programing,
My MCP 737 800 NGx is a bit to bright during night flying.
Henning R
2022-01-02 15:39
pizman82
Supporter
hhhmmmm

Thats new to me....

Please link me, where you read this ???

PWM is possible in MF..... But not for 7Seg as i know!
How should this be possible..... Max7219 have no PWM Input !
Good Luck !
2022-01-02 23:47
hrings
I meant I read about it under improvements under 9.1
But now I am unable to find back to it so it might be a miss.
But I meant it said that both 7 segment and also leds could be dimmed with PWM.
HenningR
2022-01-03 01:26
pizman82
Supporter
Ahhh.

May this is a element i spot some days ago... and not understand/find a deeper sense for it.

I will check this on my next Free day ( May Wednesday) .
If your right, then i "think" i know what you mean.

If you already find a solution, please write here to prevent me from the testing....
Else i will report experience also here within the next days !
Good Luck !
2022-01-03 09:58
pizman82
Supporter
Hi Again.

I make some research....
What you mean is NOT PWM i think !

We now have the posibility to change the brightness of 7Seg by a "Config Refference" .... Thats the new tool i found some days ago.

Means you wire your Display same way like before ( No PWM relation) .
In the Config you use for the Display you now have a new field below the "reverse Diggit" Checkmark.
THERE you can select a "other" existing Config that is used to SET the Brightness of the used Display.

Sebastian told me the value must be between 0 and 15 !

So.....
Lets say you use a Poti or Encoder (Input Config) to write a Variable from 0 to 15 ..... then you READ this Variable with a Output Config ( Call it e.g. "Bright Mode" )
Finally you choose this "Bright Mode" Config in your 7Seg Config as "Indicator for Brightness" .
THEN Your 7Seg have 16 differen Bright states related to the Value of the used indicator Config !

EDIT: Note... This setting is GLOBAL....: You can not controll One MAX7219 in different Bright States ... E.g. Doig 0-3 and Dig 4-8. One setting is for ALL Diggits.
What i not tested.... If you use a Chain.... May the Setting is for the whole Chain or not.
[Last edited by pizman82, 2022-01-03 11:19]
Good Luck !
2022-01-03 11:02
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi,
pizman and I tested the brightness in a chain and the result is: You can control the brightness for every single MAX-Chip (8 Digits if used) in a chain.
But at the moment it is not possible to control the brightness to zero so that the Display is "OFF". Only from the lowest visible brightness to full.
Grüße,
Stephan (Time: UTC+1)
2022-01-04 10:34
hrings
Is it possible to get a picture og the connector page on how to program this.
I did not understand Pizman coment on use a pot or Encoder to write a variable.
The reason as I said is to dim the 7 seg. used on 737 MCP as they are to bright at night
HenningR
2022-01-04 14:11
pizman82
Supporter
The Encoder/Poti part is only a example.... Cause pretty sure most people like to work this way.

If i understand right you just like a "2 way" System..... Like a Button or Switch you can choose between "normal" and "dimmed" for all Displays.... Right ?

The logic is the same.... Just the way is not using a Encoder for now.

Step 1:
The Brightness of a Display can be changed by using a OTHER Output Config as refference/indication.
So you need to Create at First a Config for that.... Lets Call this Output Config "Bright Mode" .
So now you can use in one ( or all) 7Seg Configs the new Option "Dimm" i explane above.
Choose in all Configs you like the dimming simply the Config "Bright Mode" as refference!

Step 2:
The System workes pretty simple: If the "Indicator" is "0" this represent the most dimmed state ( 1/32) ..... If the Indicator is "15" this means the highest Bright (31/32)
So target now is.... We need to SET/Change the Value of this Config with your Input Device you like to use for controll the Dim.

As you know we can not use a Switch Position as indication..... So the right way is to write with your switch a "Variable" ..... And the Output Config "BrightMode" simply read again this Variable.

In easy words.... The Output Config Read the Variable "X" ..... And our Switch for example say " On Press Write Variable X to 15 (Bright) - On Release write it to "0" (Dimm).
Means if we set Switch to "ON" Displays are Bright.... If we set Switch to OFF Displays are Dimmed.
OR
We use e.g. a Momentary Switch..... And say something like if($=0,15,0) ..... then a single Press "toggle" between birght and dimmed.

Like always.... You can also use other Indicators if you like.
Instead of a Switch you could for example say "Always if Local Time is between 8pm and 6 am then set to Dimm.
OR
Always if Panel Lights are ON set Displays to Dim.
OR
You can use a other system as a FakeButton..... For example Always if Engine Ignition Switch is on Left, set to Dim.
( So you not need a additional unreal Button and you can use a other one).
Good Luck !
2022-01-04 15:21
hrings
Thanks for trying to explain but it is still Greek to me,
I am not that good in programming so I think I have to live with the bright displays.
What I can do is the simple thing if it start to be complicated then I struggle and need to have it with teaspoons.
HenningR
2022-01-05 10:49
pizman82
Supporter
Not give up, Henning.

Without Screenshots or a live Video it is difficult to explane.... People who have experience with the "programming stuff" understand my guide. You do not. But thats no problem !

Join DISCORD ..... https://discord.gg/99vHbK7

There we can TALK ( Via Headset) for free all over the world.
There we can simply send screenshots for the needed MF Tabs.
There we can "share screen" .... Means i can show you "live" what you need to do.

And pretty sure if i guide you through this example you learn something new about the Programming logics and you can solve your next projects yourself !

Come to Discord.... and call Myself, Stephan or one of the other advanced guys.
Hopefully you got a Headset.... This make all much more easy.
Good Luck !
2022-01-05 11:32
icon