MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
Kaellis991
Two Mega2560 boards will not work on one computer.
Is it possible that a 2560 and a Sparkfun Micro Pro can?
[Last edited by Kaellis991, 2021-09-07 10:53]
2021-09-04 11:39
pizman82
Supporter
????

You can use 100+ Mega Boards on one Computer without Problems !
Good Luck !
2021-09-08 19:40
Kaellis991
A RealSimGear GNS530 has a 2560. The SimVimX cockpit control needs a 2560. When I setup SimVim for Xplane with my external 2560 it shut down the buttons on my GNS 530. Simvim took control of the COM port. According to the RealSim tech guy Simvim and RealSimGear do not play well with each other because they are using the same type of controller. Mobiflight can utilize the Spark controller so I’ll give that a try with Xplane.
2021-09-09 01:10
pizman82
Supporter
In that case you should talk to the SimVim Guys !

Mobiflight got a protection here.... If you use a Mega2560 ( or other supported Board like the Micros) then MF detect them BUT MF ask you if you like to use it with MF.
If YES MF will flash Firmware and controll this Board..... If NOT then MF simply ignore it.

So.... SimVim "should" do the same !
Its a bad feature if this software "hichjack" a Board you not agree with !
Good Luck !
2021-09-09 11:04
Kaellis991
Simvim does not have that protection. Below is from the Simvim website.
I am hoping I can figure out MF and connect it to Xplane with Xpuipc.

For Cockpit Builders:

The RealSimControl interface is very easy to use with your DIY cockpit hardware. You can easily install and update the firmware in any time directly from the plugin menu and create or change the configuration for your cockpit of any complexity. You don't need to buy something special, all you need is common switches, buttons, LEDs, display modules and one controller board. And few plastics (PVC), wood, cardboard and your hands. Read "To buy or make?" here.

If you are going to buy some panels, modules, devices to implement them in your cockpit and use with RealSimControl interface only, note that all you need is that they have the necessary switches, LEDs, displays to which you have free access to connect (solder) wires.

Before buying of some enclosed/boxed device (MCP, G1000, Radios), that are proclaimed as compatible with RealSimControl /SimVim, check first with the seller that there is NO built-in Mega2560 board inside this device to wich all the switches, encoders are already connected permanently.

1. If yes, don't buy it, because it will be impossible for you to use all other cockpit controls with RealSimControl .
2. Find another device that includes all switches, encoders (and maybe multiplexers) that are available for external wiring,
3. Or ask that seller to provide you a device without embedded and connected master board, but only controls wired to convenient headers.
4. Consider the price - without firmware it's just a box with few switches, LEDs and displays.

! I do not provide support for any commercial cockpit hardware that you could buy somewhere as a "Plug&Play" module with an embedded controller board (Arduino) for RealSimControl (or HCSCI/SimVimCockpit) firmware, with all the switches connected to it. I'm not responsible for any problems that you may encounter, or once this device stops working after next updating of the RealSimControl (or SimVimX plugin).

For Hardware Sellers:

If you are going to produce and sell hardware products/modules for home cockpit builders and you would like to use them with the RealSimControl (and SImVimX plugin), please consider the following:

Design your product (device) so that all wires from switches, encoders, displays, and multiplexers are accessible or connected to the terminal blocks (headers) of your device chassis. This way, users can easily wire them into an external RealSimControl main board (or multiplexers) and make custom configuration along with all the other hundreds of cockpit I/O controls.

Don't integrate controller board (Arduino) into your "fully-enclosed" device, if it intended to be used with RealSimControl interface only, even if it doesn't include the firmware - this not only adds costs but limits RealSimControl users in connection options for a large number of other input/output controls.

Think, you have an opportunity to produce cheap, convenient bezels, kits and DIY-modules with all knobs and switches in their places, but without the need to include any complex electronics inside your products!

Building in a controller board (Arduino) that is functionally entirely dependent on RealSimControl/SimVimX software into your fully enclosed device can mislead people who see your product as more complex and expensive than it really is (when it could be just a few switches). So, all you need is NOT embed the master board into your device, just describe that your product is used with RealSimControl Interface and place a direct link to the RealSimControl website pages, online configurator. Don't think that people are not capable to connect two wires and make configuration.
2021-09-09 16:35
Kaellis991
I tried to use the Sparkfun Pro Micro with MF connector but it is not recognized by MF.
Then gave my Rexqualis 2560 a try and it wasn’t seen by MF.
So I disconnected my RealSim GNS with the 2560 in it and hooked up an official Arduino Mega 2560.
MF connector found it and applied the firmware.
Then I reconnected the GNS and wouldn’t you know….the buttons again quit working.
Each 2560 had its own com port but the MF firmware knocked my GNS right out of the park.
2021-09-17 21:54
pizman82
Supporter
Mobiflight detect a "Virgin" 2560 normaly without problems ( some clones are not listed, but i will say 98% of Megas, Unos and MicroPro are detected).

For sure..... If your Mega already include own firmware or a other bootloader setup..... Then it is no longer a "mega"..... Then it is maybe something like a "RealSim GNS Board"

In easy words.... If MF not detect a Mega..... Then you shold delete the whole Mega and set it back to vanilla state.
But take care.... If you "reset" those Megas they prety sure no longer work with the original GNS System like before. You need to asign Buttons for new and so on.
Good Luck !
2021-09-18 00:22
Kaellis991
So the only way I understood how to clear out the arduino was to open Arduino IDE and upload a blank sketch.
That is what I did with the Rexqualis board that MF wasn’t detecting.
Now MF detects it but when I try to flash it with the MF connector I get an error message that it wasn’t able to upload the firmware.
So,I plugged in the real arduino 2560 and tried to upload and got the same error.
Neither one of them now are able to be flashed with MF.
And I really don’t understand the assignments of COM ports. It seems so random and could be part of the problem.

Just to be clear, I have (3) 2560s. One is in the RealSim GNS530 and works great until I try to flash one of the other two either with Simvim or MF.
I will have to contact RealSim tech support again to get it working.
The second one I assume is a 2560 clone from Rexqualis. It had a sketch installed that I overwrote with a blank sketch using Arduino IDE.
The third 2560 is a true Arduino 2560.
Now neither of those two boards will flash with MF.

Update: with a reboot, which I think cleared out all the messed up com ports, my RealSimGear is back. However, no more with the 2560s and MF connector. I need to drop back ten yards and punt. Perhaps Air Manager along with the LeoBodnar controller will be a better option.
[Last edited by Kaellis991, 2021-09-18 03:20]
2021-09-18 02:23
pizman82
Supporter
Sorry if i write it not here in this topic ( just awnser the same question within the last week 5 times)

"Clear a Board" means you upload not a "empty sketch"...... It means you upload the EEPROM CLEAR Sketch.

A Mega got multiple kinds of RAM..... I try to explane in a more easy way..... May not 100% correct technical but it explane what is important!

1.Bootloader.
This can be seen same way as the BIOS of a Computer..... It tell the Mega, that it is a Mega. It manage if the Mega is shown as a COM Device or a HID Controller for example.
Normaly we not change this part. Only if you use the Mega in the past for a Joy Controller or so. A new Mega from Stock "normaly" work fine here and got the correct Bootloader System.
To Change we need special Software and we need to Bridge some Pins. So THIS is normaly no thematic for MF.

2. The EEPROM This can be seen as a Internal Mem that is READ Only in normal procedure.
Here MF for example store the Device Settings, the Serial Numbers and so on.
If a System ( like SimVim or your RealSim Stuff) have data THERE, then MF can no longer detect or handle the Board.
The EEPROM must be fully empty ( like in most new boards) to work with it via Mobiflight.
( NOTE: Again.... Pretty sure the EEPROM from the RealSim Board include there own system. If you delete it then it no longer work with that System !!! )

Also if there is a Bug or a Problem after a Upload then a still working Mobiflight Board can get corrupted. ( Crashed EEPROM)
Here we need also delete the EEPROM to "reset" it and be able to flash Firmware again.

3. Regulary Mem ( Sketch storage)
This is the Area you can upload your sektch in normal usage..... With MF here the "Firmware" is stored via a INO File.

Summary:
- Bootloader should not be a factor ( expect your boards was used in a different way before..... Maybe possible if the RealSim Board was changed by the manifactur)
- EEPROM is your Problem pretty sure..... Delete it and try again
Use the EEPROM CLEAR Sketch from the Arduino IDE...... Upload the Sketch..... Run the Board one time ( reset button) and then use it again with Mobiflight !
Good Luck !
2021-09-18 15:20
icon