MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
mattswe
Hi!
Id like to manouver the cockpit lights in a Cessna 172 (panels, radio, glareshield, pedestal and flood lights) with some rotary encoders. I have monitored the events and can control it in SPAD.neXt, but how can I solve this in MobiFlight?

Result of my monitoring:
Panels light (instruments): SIMCONNECT: PANEL_LIGHTS_ON/OFF, MSFS:LIGHT_POTENTIOMETER_SET param 3
Radio light (GPS buttons): MSFS:GLARESHIELD_LIGHTS_ON/OFF, MSFS:LIGHT_POTENTIOMETER_SET param 7
Glareshield lights (panel): MSFS:GLARESHIELD_LIGHTS_ON/OFF, MSFS:GLARESHIELD_LIGHTS_POWER_SETTING_SET param=1
Pedestal lights: MSFS: PEDESTAL_LIGHTS_ON/OFF, MSFS: PEDESTAL_LIGHTS_POWER_SETTING_SET param=1
Flood lights: SIMCONNECT:CABIN_LIGHTS_ON/OFF, MSFS:CABIN_LIGHTS_POWER_SETTING_SET, MSFS:LIGHT_POTENTIOMETER_SET param 13
[Last edited by mattswe, 2020-12-18 13:11]
2020-12-18 13:05
pizman82
Supporter
HI

This is a element that is mostly not supported....... Simply cause its not needed for cockpitbuilders.

If you build for example a MCP Panel with Backlighting..... then it makes no sence to handle the REAL Backlight by the virtual Offset.
So its not logical to controll with a Input ( Poti,Encoder) the Virtual Panel Light..... And then Controll the Real Panel light by reading the virtual Light Offset.

In easy words.... If your Panel use Backlight then the Slector ( e.g. a Poti) simply electrical set the brightness of the LED´s. No Input to the Sim.... No Output from the Sim.
If we got a full cockpit then we not care about if the Virtual Cockpit ( we won´t see anymore) is light or not.

So simple question.... WHY you like to handle the Virtual Panle Light ? If you still build the element you not need it. If you not build that element you will controll it with the Mouse.... So you can also handle the Brigthness with the virtual Knobs.

Whatever..... Maybe a other user can help you to make this possible. I not have experience here cause i think this is unlogical overall!
Good Luck !
2020-12-19 21:31
mattswe
Well, depends on your goals, I guess. I dont have space enough to build a complete cockpit, so Im aiming for a compact cockpit that can easily be set up on my desk, and stuffed away in a wardrobe when not used.

My goal is to build panels for all buttons and knobs so I dont have to use mouse, but still be reading the instruments (most of them), annunciator etc. on screen. All my panels will be attached either to my yoke (Honeycomb) or to my TPM unit (VirtualFly). This way I can remove the whole cockpit from the desk just by removing the yoke and TPM. Quick and easy. This makes my panels very compact, and "custom". Still, I want some readings, like radio frequencies, on my panels.

So, even when my hardware is finished and I wont have to use the mouse, I still need to se the instruments on screen. Thas why I need hardware knobs for turning ingame lights on and off.
2020-12-21 14:11
pizman82
Supporter
OK.

Thats a good reason. I not think about that.... Cause mostly people who fly with a "hybrid" Cockpit use 2D Panels instead of 3D Cockpits in the past ( As i know those non exist in Fs2020) .
Means in the past there was no need for panel Lights cause the 2D Cockpit was indipended from Lights and was always fully visible /whatever day or night)

Solution:

1. AddOn Aircrafts: If PMDG come Alive in FS2020 or other Professional AddOns they mostly provide this offsets.
2. Wait until FSUIPC Support it ( Or a User can tell you a tricky way that work already today)
3. Use the Bool Inputs. I hope/think that the simple "Panle Light ON/OFF" still work. You have no stepless brightness.... but you can set it ON (Full) or OFF by a input.
Try ... Event ID 65750 PANEL_LIGHTS_TOGGLE

Or Try Offset Write to
iconQuote:

0D0C 2 Lights, a switch for each one (bits from lo to hi):
0 Navigation
1 Beacon
2 Landing
3 Taxi
4 Strobes
5 Instruments
6 Recognition
7 Wing
8 Logo
9 Cabin

Good Luck !
2020-12-21 21:24
BrunoB
Matt, could you post some pics of your hardware solution please ?
I am in the same situation as you, I cant build a complete cockpit, and have to build a mobile set :)
Thx !
Retired army pilot irl. Beginner in flightsims cockpit building !
2020-12-23 11:57
mattswe
Ill post some pictures if someone could teach me how to do it. There is an image tag but how do I upload the actual image?
2020-12-23 14:01
pizman82
Supporter
Hi

Not posible to Upload Pictures in this forum.... You need to Upload on own websapce or a puplic filehoster .
Then you insert the link to the picture as a LINK ( clickable) or as a IMAGE ( Picture is showed in your posting)

Much more profitable is our DISCORD server... There you can share pictures with one click.
Good Luck !
2020-12-28 01:57
Caspajack
Pizman82 is right, Discord is the best way,
if you really need to post here use:

https://imgbb.com/

You simply add your image using the link and add the link they provide to your post:
These examples are the latest images of my 737 cockpit....:rolleyes:

https://ibb.co/CW3n67k
https://ibb.co/MDKYVMx

John
2021-01-01 16:46
Doon1
iconpizman82:

So simple question.... WHY you like to handle the Virtual Panle Light ? If you still build the element you not need it. If you not build that element you will controll it with the Mouse.... So you can also handle the Brigthness with the virtual Knobs.

I fly in VR so the need for this is great.
@mattswe Did you figure this out yet? It's my next thing to delve into.
2021-02-22 02:10
pizman82
Supporter
Should be the same thematic like all other FS2020 Stuff....
These elements are pretty sure not available in FSUIPC.
So you need to use the new Simconnect Tool.

Check the Tutorial Video.... In theory if you use this "developer mode" Logging in FS2020 and you use the virtual Dim Encoder you will see there what Lvar/Event is used.
Then you can implement this in the new tool and use MF for the Inputs !
Good Luck !
2021-02-22 17:59
icon