MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
mattswe
Hi guys!
Dont know how many hours Ive put into this specific error now, and Im getting desperate. So any ideas would be highly appreciated.

Im building a unit with 6x8 7-segs (COM act,stby; NAV act,stby, ADF act,stby), 7 encoders, some buttons and switches. I also have three switches and one momentary button which desides conditions for other controls (writing and reading to 0x66C0, 0x66C1, 0x66C2 and 0x66C3, one byte each). No external power supply.

Everything seems to work just fine, except the two 7-segs who are supposed to view ADF active and standby. They either show nothing or light up all segs. Furhtermore, when I connect actions to them, a few other buttons/switches stop working!?! The only way to make them work again (restaring everything doesnt work, removing the ADF actions doesnt work) is to delete the "broken" module pin under settings, and then recreate it.

If I switch the 7-segs with the COM segs, they are working just fine, so the 7-segs are not faulty. The same if I use the ADF cables (signal, vcc and gnd) on the COM segs. So, my conclusion is that the 7-segs are ok, and the cables (signals, gnd and vcc) are ok.

It is almost like there is something wrong with the pins on the Arduino. But when connecting a button to them, one at a time, I can control the parking brake just fine.

This leaves me with the software, but I have searched the forum and the software doesnt seem to be unstable.

So, please, any ideas?
2021-01-11 23:04
Hortax
Supporter
Hi Mattswe,

As far as i understand what you're writing, you're trying to use 6 modules (18 pins). MF is limited to 4 Modules (12 pins).
Each Module can be composed of 8 modules chained together.

Search in the forum, you'll sure find a picture

Edit : adding image to explain the Module of modules (loosy painting skills)
This is One Module of three modules (max 8) using only 3 pins (Orange, Blue, Yellow) instead of 9 (3x3)

[Last edited by Hortax, 2021-01-12 08:36]
2021-01-12 08:16
mattswe
No, they are not chained. I have 6 units connected individually.
2021-01-12 15:23
Hortax
Supporter
That's why the N° 5 and 6 don't work, 4 Modules max.
Chain them and you're done.
Found in the FAQ :
iconQuote:

How many 7 Segment Displays can I connect to one MobiFlight Board?

That's theoretically 256 7 segment digits. 4 Modules connceted directly to the MobiFlight Board supporting a chain of 8 modules with 8 digits each. 4 x 8 chained modules x 8 digits = 256 digits. Currently the firmware limits to these 4 which use 12 pins at the Arduino Mega board. For each module you can create a chained setup of 8 modules in a row. Each module is able to drive 8 digits.

2021-01-12 15:49
mattswe
Man, have I struggled with this. Thank you! Ill rewire as soon as I can.
2021-01-12 17:02
pizman82
Supporter
Hi guys.

Here i´m confused.
We must test this scenario a.s.a.p.
In case i know (same like 99% of users) that there is not allowed to use more then 4 Max Devices on a Board , i never test it myself to add a fith one.
BUT
Till now i was sure this is finaly not possible by a blocking of the software !. I always thought that Mobiflight will see ( in device settings tab) if 4 Modules on that Board are set and THEN delete the Max Option from the Dropdown or bring a Popup Warning like " Hey You still got 4 Displays.... Thats not possible".

Summary: If Mobiflight allow the user the posibility to create and upload 5 Max Devices on a single board, then this is a issue/bug and must be fixed !
Good Luck !
2021-01-13 09:18
Hortax
Supporter
HI Pizman,

I, as a noob a month ago (and still a noob now), when i made my first radio panel did'nt read the FAQ and went strait into the same trouble. I used in my first attempt 4 modules (using 12 pins) for my COM1 and NAV1 stack, and it worked.
Naively, i added 4 modules for the second stack, and i got into the same problems : modules going on and off, displaying random caracters, and so on.
So i (after swearing in french, german and english) did read the faq, chained my modules into 2 Modules, and it worked again.
The scenario is tested, 4 modules works fine, the fifth causes trouble.
For me, as the limit is clearly defined in the FAQ, it's not a bug or a feature, but a user introduced problem, RTFM ! :lol: (kidding)
2021-01-13 10:27
mattswe
I can confirm that there is no logic blocking you from adding a fifth 7seg. But I didn't check the restrictions so, my bad. I can also confirm that when I rewired my leds in a daisy chain, they work just fine. I've been smiling all day.
2021-01-13 10:56
pizman82
Supporter
Yeah. Thanks guys for testing ( whatever it was done by a mistake..... its still a testing ! :P :P )

Now we talk about a philosophic question.....
I agree... RTFM is a argument.... So its not a bug. But a good Software should also protect the user from making misstakes. Specialy soft misstakes that can happen for lots of people.

I will ask Sebastian for a solution !

EDIT: https://bitbucket.org/mobiflight/mobiflightfc/issues/295/protection-to-avoid-creating-not-alowed
[Last edited by pizman82, 2021-01-13 17:18]
Good Luck !
2021-01-13 17:09
mattswe
I can confirm that there is no logic blocking you from adding a fifth 7seg. But I didn't check the restrictions so, my bad. I can also confirm that when I rewired my leds in a daisy chain, they work just fine. I've been smiling all day.
2021-01-13 18:27
icon