MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
Joppnl
Hello!

wow...supercooles Project Mobi Flight is!

Like to get around and....

I know....the Arduino Uno...don't think about it...

So..I ordered the Mega and will be waiting for it but...

as I have some Uno's laying around my question is: with the latest release...should it be possible to upload the MobiFlight firmware to the Uno??

And a 2nd question: when I am able to upload my own made sketches from the Arduino editor to the device, does this mean that communication for MobiFlight is also OK or does MF need more?

Up to now I am able to upload my own sketches and run them so that part of the communication is perfect, but I had no luck in uploading the firmware so far so I'd like to know , with all other problems I am aware of, is it possible to use a Uno (at own risk..I know...just to play around until the Mega arrives).

Thank you!
2020-09-12 21:33
pizman82
Supporter
I don´t know if the UNO is still working.
After we decide to stop thinking about the UNO i give away my testingboard to a a friend and no longer got it.

Technical i think NO cause there was many changes since we stop support it. But Maybe yes. The Board should be seen with the auto Updater. If it offer you to upload the firmware.... Simply try. If not posible you can try to upload it with a external tool.

About the sketch !
THIS can normaly not work. The sektch is placed in the Memory of the Mega.... Exactly there the "firmware" is installed. Technical Mobiflight Firmware is also just a sketch and a little Area in the EEPROM that define this is a MobiflightBoard and where the Devices are saved.

So if you upload a sketch you pretty sure delete the Mobiflight firmware itself ! ( The devices and the ID Flag remain.... But firmware is deleted i think)
BUT.... Sure you can run a UNO with a sketch and a other Board with Mobiflight. Simply disable the "Auto Firmware Update" to tell Mobiflight it should not flash new Arduinos as Mobiflight Boards.... So you can use the "other" Megas by own sketches !
Good Luck !
2020-09-12 22:47
Joppnl
Thank you for your answer!

Yes...the Uno is seen by MF and I can press the upload button and it shows progress on the upload but after a while it goes into error.

Well....let's not spend to much time on it, it was just if someone would defenitely know it was possible then I'd look into it more.

About the sketch...

yes...that was not the point...the point was that when I am able to upload my own sketch if that would prove that MF should be able to communicate with the board as well or that MF needs more underlaying programs like special drivers or so...of course only 1 program will run at a time.

About direct .bin upload: somewhere on this forum I found you or one of your colleagues say there was a tool for it but the link didn't work no more so couldn't get into that.

Well...as said...I will leave it as it is and will just be patient untill the Mega arrives.

Anyway, thank you for your support!
2020-09-12 23:07
pizman82
Supporter
This question must be adressed to a professional programmer.

As i know it´s not possible. If you write a second sketch to the Arduino Memory..... How should the Arduino know what sketch must be load ?
I think this is like a selfrunning exe..... At Startup it run.
So if you put anything else as the Mobiflight sketch on the Mega it would no longer "talk" to the MF connector.

As you said.... I would no longer think about that. A Mega or UNO (For Mobiflight or your personal sketches) costs less then 10$US . The Number of Boards can be increase somwhere up to ~100 Arduinos. ( and additional 100 for each computer in the network) So if you need a Sketch ( whatever just for one LED) then use a new board for it and be happy!
Good Luck !
2020-09-13 00:31
icon