MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
SPowell42
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to Arduino and MobiFlight, but I've been a flight simmer for going on 40 years. I have an idea to start making a 6 pack to use with the upcoming MSFS 2020. I'm hoping someone can help answer a few basic questions to get me on the right track.

1. It seems like I have to purchase a mega - is there any way for me to do basic testing using an Uno? It seems to have all the same capabilities that the micro pro has, but it doesn't look like it's supported?

2. I have an idea that once I finish "playing" and get down to real work, I'd have one Arduino board per group of instruments (e.g. the 6 pack would have it's own Arduino board) and then have a "master" arduino board that talks to FSX via MobiFlight - potentially using the i2c bus to talk with the instrument boards. Does this make sense?

3. Do we know yet if MobiFlight is going to work with MSFS 2020? Is that completely dependent on whether FSUIPC supports it - of if FSUIPC does support it, does that mean automatically MobiFlight will?

Appreciate the help for a complete newb, thank you!
Scott
2020-07-22 03:53
RudyB
1. To make it easy on yourself just get a Mega for all your testing. Pro Mini's are prone to bricking themselves. UNO is not officially supported.
2. Every Mega is connected to the PC via USB. With the use of a 4x or 8x USB hub there's just one cable to the PC. If you have servos or many LEDs connected it's wise to use a separate power supply to feed those. Connect the GND to the Arduino GND.
3. We're dependent on FSUIPC and on if parameters may have changed in MSFS. If there are changes we're dependent on Sebastian to modify those in Mobiflight. There may also be additional parameters in MSFS.
Always have fun!
2020-07-22 08:48
pizman82
Supporter
Hi

Rudy still awnser a lot. So i will just add some notes.

1. Not plan for UNO. We try to implement this Board but we failed...... In case some users work with it we not remove the basic option to still use it BUT it is not official supported..... Means Mobiflight Firmware is designed for MEGA..... You can try to flash it to the UNO and pretty sure some things will also work. But we know other things won´t work.
I HIGH recommend to NOT use them ! Simply buy a MEGA ( also a clone for less then 10$ is no problem)

2. Master/Slave. NO this is not supported. Mobiflight based on a logic that each Mega is directly connected to the System.
Basicly there is no real limit for number of Megas ( 128 i think but also full cockpits never need more then 30-40)
Also you not need a single Mega for your Sixpack. You can for example set most of MIP elements to one Mega.
Here your planing should only take care about power..... Try to split Inputs and Outputs so you not reach more then 500mA per board !
And as Rudy said.... Use powered USB Hubs finaly..... then you got same profit like your Master/Slave system !

3. FS2020
This week we got a meeting with Sebastion to figure out the current situation.
As you said. If FSUIPC will get a update to FS2020 then Mobiflight will work with it pretty sure without any hotfix or patch. BUT it looks like there is no FSUIPC at the moment. So Sebastian plan to directly implement SIMCONNECT ..... But this will change the MF Logic itself. So we "maybe" will see a "new Mobiflight" for FS2020.
Please stay patient.... We try to offer a solution ASAP !
Good Luck !
2020-07-22 12:46
RudyB
Hey, that's interesting news ... a direct simconnect without the need for FSUIPC in the middle?
Always have fun!
2020-07-22 15:29
SPowell42
Ok, thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll just rethink my strategy to use groups of instruments - ones that logically belong together, and tie them together with however many Megas I need.

Think I'll order just a single Mega to get started - sounds like if there's a rewrite to use SimConnect instead of FSUIPC, it might take awhile before MobiFlight is able to be used on the new flight sim. But probably a good move, depending on another 3rd party software in between must be somewhat painful.

I appreciate the advice everyone - thank you!
Scott
2020-07-23 03:54
RudyB
All the best with your project.
I'd be curious to see what you're building ... will you show progress in the 'Projects' chapter?
Always have fun!
2020-07-23 08:50
pizman82
Supporter
If you need inspiration i recommend to watch some videos..... Specialy from HeliMech.
He uses expensive "ProSim" so the Software Side is maybe not interesting for you.....
But you can see a nearly "perfect" Hardware Logic. He shows how we handle Megas in best way.

Check This: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk3QdcLf2UPk0GCNj2JhmqA

About FS2020.
I would say.... Keep Calm
Yes the release is in some weeks. But it will take weeks/months until the segnificant Bugs are solved and a first Servicepack/patch make it useable finaly..... Then it will take also months until the important AddOns get available and also get bug-free themself.
Bad Situation.... But we wait for that Flightsim nearly 15 Years ..... So we pretty sure can wait another 3-6 Months until it is working fine !
Good Luck !
2020-07-23 12:30
icon