MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
Binki
Hi there, I'm having a problem with trying to connect two separate Arduinos Mega:

1. When i connect the first Arduino board, MobiFlight recognizes it as there are two identical Arduinos connected. This shows in the Modules section. (I wanted to include a picture but don't know how. Please suggest how to include a picture in the Message).

2. When in connect the second Arduino separately, MobiFlight cannot recognize it. Then when i go to Setting, MobiFligh Connector message appears and when i click on Details, the below text shows.

I'm not sure why I'm having those problems. I did also reinstall arduino-1.8.12-windows.exe to the newer version, but the problem still persist.

Thanks for your help in advance.

...................................................................................................
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: Version string portion was too short or too long.
at System.Version.VersionResult.SetFailure(ParseFailureKind failure, String argument)
at System.Version.TryParseVersion(String version, VersionResult& result)
at System.Version.Parse(String input)
at System.Version..ctor(String version)
at MobiFlight.SettingsDialog.loadMobiFlightSettings()
at MobiFlight.SettingsDialog.loadSettings()
at MobiFlight.SettingsDialog.Init()
at MobiFlight.SettingsDialog..ctor(ExecutionManager execManager)
at MobiFlight.MainForm.settingsToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.8.4121.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MFConnector
Assembly Version: 7.8.2.0
Win32 Version: 7.8.2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Games/Downloads/Desktop/MobiFlight%207_8_2/MFConnector.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.8.4121.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.8.4001.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
[Last edited by Binki, 2020-04-24 20:14]
2020-04-24 20:02
pizman82
Supporter
Hi

Do you try to reset the boards? Especialy Board 2 ??

If possible try to make a EEPROM Clear Sketch on the problematic Board.

Then Use Mobiflight only with Board 1.... Does it show correctly only once...
Then Close Mobiflight.... Disconnect Board1 from USB and Set Board2 to USB
Run Mobiflight again and check if only Board2 is shown.
If this workes close MF again and connect both Boards same time and report experience.

Apollogy for your trouble.... Looks like some People got more problems like others.
Good Luck !
2020-04-24 22:04
Binki
Hi thanks for getting back. Here is a better explanation of my problem.

- When i connect Arduino 1 only to the computer and then I run MobiFlight connector, on the bottom left corner of the MF connector under "Modules", it lists two identical Arduino module: Mega 2/SN-4b4-186 and Mega 2/SN-4b4-186. Although, only one Arduino board is connected. Then when I go to Settings, MF Modules tab i see two identical modules appearing: Mega 2 and Mega 2. When i assign a function, let's say and LED light, this function appear on both modules.

- As per the Arduino 2, when I connected it and run MF connector, on the bottom left corner of the MF connector under "Modules", it does not list any boards. This is strange because I have used this Arduino board successfully in the past. Then, when I go to Settings, a separate window message appears:"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately". When i click "Details" on the same window, i get the message i noted in my prior message: "See the end of this message for details on invoking just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.....".

- When i connect both Arduino boards at the same time and i run MF connector and MF connector window comes up, under the Modules section on the bottom left corner, no boards are listed at all. Then when I select Settings, I get the same message as the one i listed above for Arduino 2: "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.....".

I don't know if the Arduino 2 board is a bad boards, but then why when i run Arduino 1, two identical boards are listed under "Modules" as i noted above. I have never seen before under MF two identical boards appearing. I can send an image of all the problems to illustrate better the issue, but I don't know how to attach a picture to this message. I can send an email as well

As a side note, do you know if there is a way for me to test if an Arduino board is functioning to determine if I have a broker Arduino board?

Thanks for you help.
2020-04-24 23:45
pizman82
Supporter
Thats bad.
I sometimes read this but i never got those problems. Badly i´m also no programmer and not udnerstand the Mobiflight Scripting myself. Just Sebastian do this.

My experience in the past was always to recommend at first to "clean" problematic Boards.... Mostly this helps in the past.
I know this is not a solution as you expect and not solve the basic issue ....NUT if it solve the problem temporary for you may its a good hint.

In your case it looks Board1 is problematic maby ( Cause here Double Device is occure) .... So do the workflow for Board1 also ( Clear EEPRO and flash new firmware)
To protect you of creating all devices new i recommend to SAVE the current Settings of both Boards in a MFMC File each.

MABY the problem is also in your USB Drivers of Computer but i don´t think so. Another issue spot can be ADMIN Mode.... If possible try to run Maobiflight ALWAYS as Admin if you not do it already. ( NOTE you then also must run Your Sim in ADMIN Mode .... Else you get in trouble again)

About last question: NO i don´t know to test a Mega directly and normaly thats not needed. Megas got broke verry rarely... and if yes they most completly broke by a high voltage or so..... So you smell it if its broke or see a little smoke coming out of it :P
Maby Broke Megas also completly not recognize again.... Or maby they work but just aPin is simply broke. But your reported Situation NOT looks for me as a broke mega at the moment.... Maby i´m wrong. Lets test this by EEPROM Clear then we can talk again !

EDIT: About Pictures.
Here In Forum you need to upload the Pictures to a Puplic Webspace (Filehoster) or to your Own Webspace if you got and jut LINK it in your Posting. Not possible to upload Pictures directly.....
Alternate is to Join us in DISCORD..... There you can send Pictures.
Email is also possible but i think not needed in this situation !
Good Luck !
2020-04-25 01:58
Binki
Thanks for getting back.

I did try running MF through Administrator, but i got the same results for both boards.

You mentioned "Clear EEPRO and flash new firmware". How do i do that?

Meanwhile 'll try to find a way to post picture of my problem, may be this will help as well.

Thanks again.
2020-04-25 07:10
pizman82
Supporter
For a detailed Guide use Google or the Forum Search....

In short word you must open your Arduini IDE..... There you must select the board ( Most easy if you just connect the needed board and no other) . Finaly you choose from FILE-EXAPLES the Sketch "EEPROM CLEAR" .
Upload it to the Board and click the Reset Button on the Mega.
Then this sketch will startet and completly delete ( like format) the EEPROM.
After that your Mega is reset like brand new and you can flash firmware via Mobiflight ( Connect board.... Start Mobiflight ..... Then MF should ask for install firmware! )
Good Luck !
2020-04-25 14:31
Binki
Many thanks Pizman82!!! I have followed your instruction on how to reset the Arduinos through Arduino IDE and it has worked. It appears that both Arduino boards are working well.

I have two operating system on my computer. On one system, I was able to reset the boards through Arduino IDE and MF reads them correctly - no problem. On the other operating system, when I reset the boards through Arduino IDE everything seems ok initially, but then when I run the MF the problem reoccurs. There must be a corrupt file on the second operating system that triggers the issue, it appears. I need to find this file and delete it. On the second operating system I have many version of the MF and many saved setting file, I probably need to delete them all and install just the latest MF version.

I also would like to Thank you, all the support staff and especially Sebastian for creating and supporting this GREAT product which brings us, the aviation enthusiasts closer to our dreams!!! Keep up the great work you all do and have a great weekend!

B
2020-04-25 19:10
icon