MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
jc
Hi there, I know this topic has been touched on in a previous thread in the general topics .
but Recently I bought a mega from geekcreit ( banggood). Unfortunately mobiflight doesn't recognize it, so l bought one from elegoo and thankfully that was recognized. Although its expensive compared to the Chinese ones . I'm wondering if anyone has experience with mega clones acquired on aliexpress and if so could they let me know which one's are compatible with mobiflight and who the producer is, much appreciated JC.
2019-12-05 11:49
thatchi
Clone works. Need ch340 driver installed manually.
2019-12-05 17:06
jc
Hi Thatchi, thanks. I believe I have the driver already installed as my PC recognizes it and I have tested it with the blink sketch. No problem there . And still mobiflight mysteriously doesn't see it.
2019-12-06 15:20
thatchi
Use arduino ide to clear eeprom by upload from eeprom examples. Run MF , if u check upload firmware then MF will load firmware to mega itself. If not goto FSUIPC then right click on mega icon and select firmware upload manually. Good luck.
2019-12-06 17:10
jc
I'm sorry but I don't quite follow what your saying. Could you spell it out to me in more detail. I'm kinda green when it comes to this. I'm learning though. Thanks again.
2019-12-07 08:41
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi JC,

MobiFlight always recognizes the MEGA clones. However, MobiFlight requires the data of the clone to recognize it.
If MobiFlight does not recognize this data, it is because it is not contained in the MobiFlight database.
These data must then be communicated to Sebastian, who enters the data into the database. With the next release of MobFlight, these clones can then also be used as MobiFlight modules.

How do you get to this data? Well, that's relatively easy:

- open Device Manager
- open connections (COM & LPT)
- select the device that will be displayed for your mega.
(if you do not know what it is, unplug the USB plug and plug it back in - the device that now appears new is your MEGA)
- Click on the device, take the right mouse button and choose Properties
- select the Hardware tab
- click on properties
- select the tab Details
- under Property you open the menu and select hardware IDs
- in the Value field is something like: USB\VID_1A86&PID_7523&REV_0254

Sebastian needs this value. He then checks to see if he's already known, then you have another problem. If the value is not known, it will go into the database and be available with the next release.

If you use a clone, they usually need the CH340 / CH341 driver. You can download this here: http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_ZIP.html

Another note: If you have uploaded the firmware to a MEGA, then this module will be recognized as a MobiFlight module as long as the firmware is stored in the EEPROM. To "neutralize" the module again, the EEPROM must be deleted.
The Arduino IDE has a sketch that you have to run once. So start the Arduino IDE, open the File menu, then examples, then EEPROM and then select the eeprom_clear sketch, which then opens with a new IDE instance. Then upload the sketch and your MEGA is neutral again.

Hope, this helps you.
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-12-07 14:07
jc
Thanks for the explanation. I have given Sebastian the hardware id. So now I just wait mobiflight update. Great, thanks again.
2019-12-08 05:43
jc
No luck with the clone yet. I believe that a lot of users are using Chinese mega clones without and problem with mobiflight. Can someone please send me a link to where they bought the clone that mobiflight recognizes, thanks J.C.
2020-01-04 09:38
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi JC,

I bought my Megas in China under the following link:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Mega-2560-R3-ATmega2560-16AU-CH340G-Board-ATTINY85-USB-Cable-Compatible-Arduino/272477166195?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749. l2649

I have had very good experiences with this seller and so far no failure of the parts.
However, the delivery time is between 3 and 4 weeks.

If you live in the USA, I can recommend the following link:

https://www.propwashsim.com/store/mega-2560-atmega2560-16au-board-wcable

Fast delivery and good goods. There are also other components for your home cockpit.

Otherwise, search on ebay.com and note that the goods from China come from ShenZhen.
Grüße,
Stephan
2020-01-04 11:26
pizman82
Supporter
I got this one....

https://www.amazon.de/SunFounder-ATmega2560-16AU-Board-compatible-Arduino/dp/B00D9NA4CY/ref=sr_1_8?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=arduino%2Bmega&qid=1578143344&sr=8-8&th=1

Just bought it in the past from a other link that is not existing longer..... That time i pay 11€ per Mega with free shipping.
Whatever i just give you the link to show SUNFOUNDER work fine for me.
I have 12 Boards and all 12 work fine till now.
Good Luck !
2020-01-04 14:11
jc
Thanks Guys, I ordered the one from ebay. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it.
2020-01-04 15:42
jc
Well 3 months later the clone finally arrived, and to my disappointment like the others the arduino software reads it and Mobyflight doesn't, dam.
2020-03-10 15:10
icon