MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
sunesune
I have just made all the panels for the construction of my Boeing 737 home cockpit with my cnc machine.
Now comes the hardest thing. What card should I use if I fly with Pmdg? There are so many to choose from. Leo Bodnar, Pokeys, Opencockpit, Arduino etc.
Many use Arduino with Mobiflight.
Is it difficult to learn? I know nothing about electronics, and even less about programming.
The simulator does not need to be 100% accurate. But I want buttons to work with LED lighting etc.
Need advice from you ...

Regards from Sweden
2019-12-12 10:55
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi sunesune!

Welcome to MobiFlight!

If you have no knowledge of electronics or programming, then MobiFlight is the place for you.
Some knowledge about electricity, e.g. for the calculation of a resistor for LED or what is GND, you should, however, bring along. You can also work through the tutorials to gain the necessary knowledge about MobiFlight.
You do not have to be able to program. You will also acquire knowledge or knowledge of logic as you work through the tutorials.

Leo Bodnar's interfaces are good when it comes to analog interfaces such as Joystick axes etc. goes. MobiFlight itself can not work with analog axes.

Pookeys works similar to MobiFlight to my knowledge.

OpenCockpit is a system of its own, with I / O cards, bus system etc. If you decide to do so, you are not very flexible, because OC, always OC.

MobiFlight uses the Arduino MEGA 2560 R3, either as a brand or as a clone (from China). As a clone, a mega module costs less than 10 euros, while a MEGA original is available from 30 euros. Many have had very good experiences with the China clones here.

If you say that the simulator does not need to be 100% accurate, you'll quickly find that you throw everything that does not reach 100% into the garbage. The claims increase with your experience!

You should experiment a bit first and see if you like MobiFlight. Buy a few parts, a plug-in board, a 5V power supply and a few things you plan to use (switches, encoders, rotary switches, LEDs, resistors).

As for MobiFlight, you can always ask questions to the community here.

Remember: there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers;)

I hope I could give you a brief overview in the near future. Do not hesitate if you have questions.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you need FSUIPC by Pete Dowson for MobiFlight. For starters, it is enough to use the freeware version. You should buy a registration later.
MobiFlight works in two directions. Once e.g. from a switch to MobiFlight, MobiFlight to FSUIPC and FSUIPC to the simulator. These are the inputs. Conversely, the outputs are read out and displayed, ie LEDs, 7-segment displays, LCD.
You can download FSUIPC here: http://home2.btconnect.com/petedowson/
For the FSX you take the version 4.xxx and for the P3D from version 4.4 the version 5.xxx
[Last edited by StephanHo, 2019-12-12 22:02]
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-12-12 19:42
sunesune
Hi Stephan,

Thanks for your reply. Now I have got a little more response to my thoughts. Maybe I have found the right way to go.
I will definitely give Arduino and Mobiflight a chance :)

Last year I bought all toggle switches, potentiometers, rotary encoders, LEDs, resistors on ebay and Tayda Electronics.
And it was very cheap. Now they are just waiting for connection.

I already have FSUIPC in a registered version.

Can I get some advice:
I found a cheap Aduino Mega 2560 R3 clone on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGA-2560-R3-Arduino-komp-Mikrokontroller-Board-Atmel-ATmega2560-CH340G/253093582639?hash=item3aed8d972f:g:PfoAAOSwB19b4FmW

Is this ok to use?

What do you recommend for 5V power supply to buy e.g. on Ebay?

Right now I have used MSFS 2004. But would like to upgrade when MSFS 2020 is released next year. Will it work with Arduino + MobiFlight + FSUIPC?

I have so many questions but I am content with this right now.

Regards
Sune Sune
2019-12-13 09:07
StephanHo
Supporter
It's perfect if you already have a registered version of FSUIPC!

The mega clone from your link is ok, you can buy it.

Usually you don't need an external power supply. The MEGA modules are supplied via the USB interface. However, if you use steppers, you should use an external power supply, as they already draw a high quiescent current (~ 200mA each). If you buy an external power supply with 5V, then take one with 2.5 to 3 A load capacity.
If you are working with USB hubs, which is a good option, then please use one with an external power supply, otherwise it can happen that a USB cable breaks down.

Unfortunately, MobiFlight does not support the FS2004. At that time, it was not yet ready to think of home cockpits for the consumer sector and the FS2004 is therefore unsuitable. I'm sorry.
If you are still using FSUIPC V3.x for the FS2004, you can also run FSUIPC 4.x with the registration. That would be necessary if you switched to the FSX for a short time. From P3DV4 there is FSUIPC V5.153.

If you are lucky, the standard fliers run with MobiFlight under FS2004. If you plan to control a PMDG with it, it will not work because there is no SDK (Software Development Kit) for it.

But you can certainly get an FSX for little money, they are already traded for 10 euros (also on ebay). Then you don't have to buy the P3D or X-Plane, which cost many times as much, but you have something for the transition period until the MSFS2020 arrives.
However, that much is already certain that the MSFS2020 will most likely not run with MobiFlight, at least not with the MobiFlight that we know today. Sebastian is on the ball and wants to present a suitable MF version with the release of the MSFS2020. Presumably, however, the old hardware (panels, switches, etc.) can be wired in this way and can no longer be used. There are still many questions left. That will only clear up over time.

Another tip that comes from pizman: Buy an additional MEGA module and define 1 device of each type on it. Then you always have a module to experiment with and try things out without having to go to your finished modules.

I take something like this to protect the modules:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGA2560-R3-Acrylic-Box-Enclosure-Transparent-Case-for-Arduino-Arduino-UNO-R3/172756509434?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item28391722fa:m:mzH6bO2QCslTRn62daKmOAw&enc= AQAEAAACQBPxNw% 2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qUKDmnYf9dzEC7kJ8xJCpaUw05ms9jsWkTafivAAy86r8vJ2CBJbNKy5z2rA4PFZ% 2FSFeACIhG6VhX% 2BxJzVftcmtzlBiO3WHpx14TyzsQxt4ENROqvY1saKZNpokuNuj8PLjSYAAyFs% 2FP5% 2BAxKbPMgrTQ% 2FzzAxLpGmE43j4KJjPoQLwPmZexsz5fiRbJipSEzfzjIqgwYB2Vj82xipoIWZ% 2Bdh% 2FcC% 2FzfxVY0ZJmUmVLvbI4jQvWGUqWZYHKje85txC6oHkZ1etQDbtE3cdXh% 2Fin% 2F6eJZdppmUeytXFVaUT% 2BndtNWNGGJL1fBNjyaau9DyevfUdArJfYhag4P80pu% 2BYRuQ1Uu4LdUCmy2jVQEhk% 2FVR6JOACjIUb8R6me1pW7TKDzv9YDwTDqgThPzM4JEF230% 2FwF8RD5ua06ILimgSUzcSe16yq3E8A7wAdTKH01PXw7gQSAOt% 2BT2dHeuPSQgJIFf5oofGCw5jTow0yo1Qz9DXjzAez% 2FD3HIHQWH2zDHVl% 2BwAsZm7Nh% 2BssicAxEHd1JiiflmmNLM56NZhLRqu5xAaTzBPQ5E6f7QTeCLvUIgSiBz2dFkIe0qhmGDfdliEP17% 2F5UuEevCVeTjfWCWPw30QWzWHH3jWdvlv2uC% 2Bdjad2yD2jk5qysTjbAyRIJN4WGdp% 2BWi9wmAUw% 2BuAJ0tNEmaxfKfqB44jobqekWs8ZfcylIsb63lqpJXUpTB4xVLxWYUaGGoiFVcbhX1s8n wkiiXcwWw% 3D% 3D & checksum = 1727565094343b82ce157f604e9599337207c6764493 & enc = AQAEAAACQBPxNw% 2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qUKDmnYf9dzEC7kJ8xJCpaUw05ms9jsWkTafivAAy86r8vJ2CBJbNKy5z2rA4PFZ% 2FSFeACIhG6VhX% 2BxJzVftcmtzlBiO3WHpx14TyzsQxt4ENROqvY1saKZNpokuNuj8PLjSYAAyFs% 2FP5% 2BAxKbPMgrTQ% 2FzzAxLpGmE43j4KJjPoQLwPmZexsz5fiRbJipSEzfzjIqgwYB2Vj82xipoIWZ% 2Bdh% 2FcC% 2FzfxVY0ZJmUmVLvbI4jQvWGUqWZYHKje85txC6oHkZ1etQDbtE3cdXh% 2Fin% 2F6eJZdppmUeytXFVaUT% 2BndtNWNGGJL1fBNjyaau9DyevfUdArJfYhag4P80pu% 2BYRuQ1Uu4LdUCmy2jVQEhk% 2FVR6JOACjIUb8R6me1pW7TKDzv9YDwTDqgThPzM4JEF230% 2FwF8RD5ua06ILimgSUzcSe16yq3E8A7wAdTKH01PXw7gQSAOt% 2BT2dHeuPSQgJIFf5oofGCw5jTow0yo1Qz9DXjzAez% 2FD3HIHQWH2zDHVl% 2BwAsZm7Nh% 2BssicAxEHd1JiiflmmNLM56NZhLRqu5xAaTzBPQ5E6f7QTeCLvUIgSiBz2dFkIe0qhmGDfdliEP17% 2F5UuEevCVeTjfWCWPw30QWzWHH3jWdvlv2uC% 2Bdjad2yD2jk5qysTjbAyRIJN4WGdp% 2BWi9wmAUw% 2BuAJ0tNEmaxfKfqB44jobqekWs8ZfcylIsb63lqpJXUpTB4xVLxWYUaGGoiFVcbhX1s8nwkiiXcwWw% 3D% 3D & checksum = 1727565094343b82ce157f604e9599337207c6764493

is also available as a bundle:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega2560-R3-ATmega16U2-CH340G-Board-Acrylic-Transparent-Case-Shell-for/163151599400?hash=item25fc97d728:m:mqaNGCxxEiHgxnjLy6AA9NQ

I can understand that you have many questions. But before spending money, ask your questions so you don't throw the money out the window. As long as you experiment, it is one thing, but building it concretely needs to be well planned.
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-12-13 15:04
sunesune
Hi Stephan!

Thanks for the links.

I have an old FSX, but my computer was too old to use, so I continued with the FS9. Now I will buy an i7 so that will be no problem. But I am open to new solutions. I do not need to use Pmdg, if there is something that is better and easier to integrate with. Prosim is too expensive (I don't know why). I have no experience with P3D. I flew with X-plane about 10 years ago. So suggestions are welcome!

What kind of wires should I use to connect Arduino with toggle switches, rotary encoders, etc.? Looks like I don't have to solder? I bought a lot of AWG24 wires in China. Can I use these with some kind of contacts?

I bought a couple of Aduino Mega 2560 R3 clone and a broadband to start experiment.

Regards
Sunesune

I mean Breadboard :D
[Last edited by sunesune, 2019-12-17 13:29]
2019-12-17 11:43
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Sunesune,

PMDG is the best and most precise thing you can get as a simmer for your money. Everything else is far more expensive.
As I said, whether the FS9 runs with MobiFlight, I can not guarantee you. From FSX and younger it is usually possible to work with MobiFlight. X-Plane is an exception here. You don't need FSUIPC, but XPUIPC as an intermediary between MobiFlight and the Sim.
ProSim is problematic, not only because of the high price. It has known bugs that the developers don't address. For details, you should read the relevant forum (s).

P3D is basically the successor to the FSX. I also switched from FSX to P3D. The switch with MobiFlight went 1: 1 and caused no problems.

Electric wire. A sensitive issue. The connections are important with MobiFlight, as with all electronic devices. The simple DuPont cables and breadboards are certainly enough to experiment with, but if you want to install things firmly in the Sim, you cannot avoid soldered connections. Ok, WireWrap can still be used, but is hardly used.
If you choose a soldering iron, take a small soldering iron or, if you can get it cheap, a soldering station with the smallest possible soldering tip. It is also important to use lead-containing solder, i.e. no ROHS-compatible solder, because it contains no lead and the solder connections are not as nice as the lead-containing ones.
If you decide to solder, you can basically take any cable (stranded wire) that you can get your hands on. Such compounds are preferred.
As long as you only lay GND lines, or cables that run at slow levels (GND or + 5V), the length of the cables also plays almost no role. Ok, you should start thinking about 10m. The lines with fast levels should, if possible, be no longer than 50cm, rather only 30cm.

You can use your AWG24 cables to experiment. They tend to break because they have only one wire in their soul. Hence my recommendation: Stranded wire. Here is a link to the stranded wire: https://www.reichelt.de/kupferlitze-isoliert-10m-1x0-14mm-violett-lila-litze-vt-p211172.html?&trstct=pol_0

Pizman recommends using one MEGA only for experimentation. Define one of each possible device here and save it. Then you can try at any time without having to take your other modules for experiments. You can also use your AWG24 cables for this.

Then I wish you successful experimentation ;-)

If you have any questions, you already know that, just ask, ideally here in the forum.
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-12-17 14:38
sunesune
Thank you Stephan for your advise.

I'm probably trying to get Pmdg to work with MobiFlight before I deciding to switch to something else.

I forgot to say that my AWG24 is stranded :)

/sunesune
2019-12-17 18:29
Gemu
iconQuote:

As I said, whether the FS9 runs with MobiFlight, I can not guarantee you.

Mobiflight works in Fs 2004 same as in FSX. I never notice any differences. My Multiradio modul works without any change in both sims. So no problems starting with FS2004 and Mobiflight, later switch to FSX or P3D.

Greetings
Gert
2019-12-18 01:27
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Gert,

Thanks a lot for this information.
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-12-18 01:41
sunesune
It sounds really good :)
Thank you Gemu!

/Sunesune
2019-12-18 09:52
Gemu
The only different between FS9 and FSX are the addons. If you like using a 737 you have two choices. IFly-737 is availible for FS9 and FSX. PMDG-737 only for FSX (FS9 PMDG-737 is not usable). Both addons are very easy to setup with Mobiflight. I have both but prefere FSX at the moment, because multimonitor use is in FS9 a bit annoying.
You can´t make a mistake using one of this addons. With IFly you only need a small program called IFlyToFSUIPC. It works as an interface to call all the offsets. With FSX PMDG-737 no futher program is need. In this forum a lot of peope using PMDG, some like me IFly too, so you can ask if you fall into problems.

Greetings
Gert
2019-12-19 20:24
sunesune
Thanks, this sounds great!
I will definitely come up with questions, and then it feels safe to know that you and many more can help me :)

Merry Christmas!

/Sunesune

I was thinking of ordering on ebay before Christmas. Any idea of how many Arduino Mega 2560 r3 are required for the entire cockpit?
[Last edited by sunesune, 2019-12-20 11:03]
2019-12-20 10:25
icon