MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

Go to page 1Go to page 112Go to page 3Go to page 2
pizman82
Supporter
Thank you Jay.

Its a plessure to meet People like you.... Who have nice ideas and also want to do the work to test and think about the problematics.

I looking forward to a discord session "Brainstorming" with You, Sebastian and Stephan.
Hopefully my english is enough to talk to a guy from UK. With people from the US i have no big problems but the "clear and correct" english from GB is a bigger challange i think . :cry:

Have a nice Day..... Greetings to Kent,UK
Good Luck !
2019-11-13 08:34
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
In case of the 360° OBS compass card, we need to test this of course, but I think that no dead zones will be required. Maybe as you suggested, some sort software signal filtering.

Anyway lets test it on the bench:)

Jay
2019-11-13 08:35
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
Your English is brilliant mate and don't worry, I live in UK but I'm not native English speaker;)
2019-11-13 08:48
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
Alrighty gentleman.
I have done extensive research over the last week and here is the game changer that absolutely blew my mind:scared:
I was wrong suggesting the "continuous potentiometer" as a way of measuring the compass card position in the standard VOR indicator.
Well, the truth is, this is never gonna work for a couple of reasons. Although these pots have infinite shaft rotation, their electrical sensing range is usually 340 degrees only.
Also, the analog signal is not a great solution for accuracy as good as 1 degree (360 pulses per revolution).

So I opened up the VOR indicator from my Aztec cockpit and started to investigate the option of hooking up the actual real electronics of the instrument.
After a few hours of googling, reading tons of documents and forums, I realized that this would be a very time consuming and costly venture.
Basically most of these indicators like HSI, ADF, VOR and even altimeters etc. make use of a Resolver / Synchro, which is a device that needs to be powered up with low voltage AC at 400Hz frequency to create something like rotary transformer. Two or three static coils then produce a respective sine wave that needs to be analyzed to determine the precise position of this sensor. It works great in its natural environment but trying to replicate this in the sim is quite a challenge.

Searching an alternative solution for this "hack" I found quite a few cockpit builders who managed to replace these Resolvers / Synchros with Hall Effect Absolute Encoders.
And this is the game changer gentleman!!
There is one particular package, that would be THE TOP TOOL if it was integrated into MobiFlight.
It's very well documented and there are several Arduino scripts written already. As I said above, "big boys" who are able to write their own code use this Encoder with stunning results.

The little beauty is named AS5040 and it even comes with a breakout board containing everything we need for less than £15.
Please have a look at the datasheet here: https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/download_datasheet.php?id=434977&part-number=AS5040-SS_EK_AB&type=prod

I remember reading another thread here about "zeroing" the steppers, well this baby would provide great feedback for any "steam" instruments and converting otherwise highly complicated indicators would finally become possible and so much cheaper.

I can see so many possibilities with this encoder and MF, one of them by the way "no need for analog axis any more" :w00t:

Let me know what you think guys
Jay
[Last edited by VR-FlightSim, 2019-11-19 00:41]
2019-11-19 00:32
VR-FlightSim
Supporter
Are you guys interested in this idea at all?
Please let me know if you'r not, I'll seek another way to interface my nav instruments.

Regards
Jay
2019-11-20 08:16
DocMoebiuz
I would really like to see if we cannot just get it done with the tools we have. The only thing is the card that doesn’t work super great. But with Encoder and Stepper that drives the card to the current position it might actually work better than we think. I can try it over the weekend.
Have a great day!
Sebastian

MobiFlight - Simply build your own home cockpit for your favorite flight sim - FSX, Prepar3D (FSUIPC), X-Plane (XPUIPC)
2019-11-20 14:28
aeromax
Supporter
Hi Jay,

where did you find that AS5040 for that mentioned cheap price? Can’t find it. Also your advice about mouser wasn’t successful.

I bought one cheap board from China, but never arrived.

Like to drive the OBS2 Knob that will fit the real VOR Dial, however.

Thx
Life is Good When You Find What You are Looking For!
2020-08-02 22:06
Go to page 1Go to page 112Go to page 3Go to page 2