MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
pianista
Hi!

First of all, Thank you for this amazing software. I did a first test using displays to have the COM radio's

I'm having an issue trying to do a test in a protoboard using the EC11 (https://es.aliexpress.com/item/32871669683.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.28a963c0a1CSBx), I want to use them to move the COM1/2/NAV radios (using the push button to change decimals, or numbers)

I tried to find some tutorial using this kind of encoder (I'm a newbie) but I didn't found one, so I read a lot of different articles and tests with other encoders.

As far as I know the encoder has 5 pins (2 for push button, and 3 for the encoder).

I tried to use just the 3 pins of the encoder, using: the left and right pins connected to the Arduino 22 and 24 pins, and the center pin to ground. But nothing happens, I tried configuring them as FSUIPC events (Com radio increase, Com radio decrease), also using variables changes $+1, but I'm not capable of run a basic example.

May be I need also to plug the push button wires? In the case of the push button I'm not sure how I should accomplish that. Should I connect one pin to an Arduino input, and the other to 5V? Which pin is the good to connect to the 5V?

Thank you!!

Regards!
2019-11-07 10:07
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi pianista!

Welcome to MobiFlight!

In principle, all encoders work the same with MobiFlight. The EC11 is probably the best known of ALPS and is also used very often.

The encoder has at the pins designations: A, B, C, D, E

D and E are the switch. You can put D or E on GND and the other you connect to the pin of the MEGA.
C comes to GND, but you can either put it on D or E (at least the one you put on GND).

Please do not put pins on +5V. These are already internal MEGA via the activated pull-up resistors to +5V. Mobiflight evaluates the transition to GND.

To evaluate the pulses, no special parameter or entry in Transform is required.
For COM 1 you take the EventID 65638 for OnLeft and the parameter 0 for COM1_RADIO_DECREASE and for On Right 65639 with parameter 0 for COM1_RADIO_INCREASE, for COM2 you take the EventID 66438 (OnLeft - INCREASE) and 66440 (OnRight - DECREASE) with the parameter 0 respectively. With OnLeft (Fast) / OnRight (Fast) no entries are made!
For SWAPPING at COM1 you take the EventID 66372 with parameter 0 and for COM2 66444 with parameter 0.

If you have MobiFlight V7.7.0, you can easily select the parameters via Load Preset.

If, instead of the standard airplane, you're using the B737 from PMDG, you'll need to pick the EventIDs from their list, or change the Action Type to PMDG EventID in MobiFlight and choose from.

Please report from your experiences.
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-11-07 16:06
pianista
Thank you!

Finally It works, all was that I was using "test" instead of "run". What is the difference?

I also noticed that in one direction the encoder works very good, but in the other is like there are 2 steps until It react, but I suppose It's because in the protoboard the pins are not attached very well. I think It will be work better when I solder the components.

Also I tried the push button and It works :). Time to put together the MAX displays with the encoders!

Regards!
2019-11-07 20:08
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi,

the test butten in MF tests the connection between your hardware an MF. It is not a test between MF and your Sim. If you "run" MF then you need the connection to all of the connected MEGA-boards of MF and the sim. Then the connections were supported with the data values from the sim.

Established connections with protoboards are problematic. To test whether something works, they are sufficient, but are often flawed, especially when it comes to MAX7219 connections. It is strongly recommended that you solder tested connections or connect them with safe means.
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-11-08 09:14
thatchi
Yes. Test button is to check output connections, when pushed each led and display will flash in sequence according to your output configuration. While we on the subject, I wonder if doc can put a delay between output testing on next revision. The led and digits flashing too fast and difficult to follow when you have a bunch of led and display.
2019-11-08 17:04
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi thatchi,

go to EXTRAS -> SETTINGS and have a look in the tab GENERALLY (EXTRAS -> EINSTELLUNGEN Tab ALLGEMEIN).

Here you find the category Speed in Test-Modus. Move the slider and you can determine the speed.
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-11-08 17:21
thatchi
Oh good god. Thanks Stephan .
2019-11-09 02:26
icon