MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
Spaceweather
Hey freaks,

i am coming from the Jeehell/FMGS Forum, someone gave me the tip to use MF to realise this output.
I need to drive 4x 7 Segment from an arduino to show the rudder trim offsets in deg

Is this function supported by MF?

Reagrds
Andy
2019-10-31 16:29
pizman82
Supporter
Wrong question.....

Does Jeehell FMGS support that Data to FSUIPC ?
If yes then Mobiflight can Read that Data and show it on a 7 Segement Display.

So
1. Check if Data is supported via FSUIPC
( If not you can maby check if its supported via SIOC and you then can write it by SIOC to a FSUIPC Offset)
Important for Mobiflight is.... Data MUST be available via FSUIPC Offsets.

2. If Data is available you need.....
a ) 1x Mega 2560 Board
b ) 1x Max7219 Chip and a Display ( Common Cathode) of your Choice ..... OR You buy a complete "Tube" that includiong Display and Controller.
( Note Mobiflight support ONLY Max7219 Controllers and Common Cathode Displays !! )
c ) Download Software..... Create Config ..... Enjoy your new Cockpit Displays.

( If you need more Displays..... Mobiflight can handle endless Displays..... BUT On one MEGA Board the Limit is 256 Diggits ( 32 Controllers) 8 Controller in a chain and finaly 4 Chains. )
Good Luck !
2019-10-31 17:21
Spaceweather
Ok thanks. I dont wanna use SIOC anymore.
I do have this hardware here, awaiting the 7 segment display tomorrow.
How can i check, if this function is supported by FSUIPC?
2019-11-01 13:08
pizman82
Supporter
Looks good....

iconQuote:

73B1 2 Rudder trim display value * 10. Right is positive, left negative. If dashes are displayed, value is 999. If display is OFF, value is 777.

Good Luck !
2019-11-01 13:41
Spaceweather
ok, super, i will check.

Does anyone have a tip/source of a 4 digit 7 Segment module in amber? Digit height ~14mm.
Found only single digits yet....
2019-11-08 15:09
pizman82
Supporter
Thats a little Problem for all Cockpit Builders.

We need mostly 3,4,5, and 6 Digit Displays..... And all should have the same Color, font and size. You maby find a 3 Digit Displayblock in amber but a 4 Digit only in red..... Or You find a 4 Digit also in Amber but that is a little larger or include a Doublepoint between for a clock and looks bad.

Thats why a "perfect" cockpit is normaly designed with SingleDiggit Displays Only..... Here you choose a Display that have correct size, color and optic..... And you simply build blocks in size you need...... 4 Digit Display menas simply 4x1Diggit in a row.

The PROBLEM: A Single Digit have 9-10 Pins..... So a 4 Digit Display have up to 40 single wires that must be combined to finaly 12 Lines that end in your Max7219 Chip.
Thats verry hard to do with wires..... Here most user work with PCB´s .....
A good tactic is to buy ( or build yourself) PCB´s that have correct holes for your disply you choose..... And you have finaly a single PCB for every Combination ( 3,4,5,6 Digit e.g.)
You just solder your Digits or connect them to sockets ...... All wirework is done via lines on the PCB...... And finaly there is a output connector with for example 12 Lines for a 4 Digit Display...... Here you can connect your Max7219.
Looks like this....... https://www.silicon-ark.co.uk/7-segment-5-digit-led-display-pcb

The absolutly perfect solution is to include the Displaysystem and also the Max7219 Chips directly on a complete PCB for the Element.... Then the Max Chips is also solder on the PCB and you have finaly just a 5 Pin Connector where you connect your 5 Lines to Mega ..... All other lines ( like chaining of MaxChips, Power managment , Lines from Max to Displays e.g.) are done on the PCB.

Last Note about Color.
Some users simply work with WHITE Displays and use a visible collored foil on it..... Also a combination is possible..... A Yellow Diggit with a blue foil occure in a green Diplay
Maby you like to test this..... Usefull if you be able to order all needed Displays in White and your problem is only the color.
Looks normaly realistic, cause in real cockpit there is also a cover on the Displays..... Nobody cares about if this cover is blank or colored.
Good Luck !
2019-11-08 15:48
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Andy,

I found this one http://www.lc-led.com/View/itemNumber/534 when searching with google: 4 digit 7 segment yellow common cathode.
Seems that yellow and amber are the same
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-11-08 17:39
Spaceweather
OK i will check thanks.

Another question.
I am nearly at the finish. But i did not find the function in the FSUIPC Preset in the config wizard for that Rudder Offset.
What do i have to type in?

What meens that :

73B1 2 Rudder trim display value * 10. Right is positive, left negative. If dashes are displayed, value is 999. If display is OFF, value is 777.

:confused: :confused:
2019-11-08 17:49
Spaceweather
How about this:
https://ebay.us/cNKpit

But has 7 (12) PIN connector. Maybe find out, who of them are for the double point and cutting them?
2019-11-08 17:52
pizman82
Supporter
Hi

The "Presets" are just for the FSX/P3D Standard Aircrafts.
YOU use a AddOn ( Jeehell FMGS) So you need basicy the Offsets that are supported by Jeehell.
If a function i not included in the Jeehell internal lists then..... you can try the Standard Lists... Maby your lucky and jehell simply use standard values here..... If Not then the function is only internal in Jehell and you can not read it directly via FSUIPC..... then you need maby SIOC or a self written code.

Simple rules.....
1. If you use standard Aircrafts you can use Standard FSUIPC Values
2. If you use a AddOn Aircraft than standarf values "can" work but mostly the AddOn suport own values on a own spot.
3. The "Presets" in Mobiflight are ALWAYS designed for standard Aircrafts..... Not for AddOns.
4. If a needed Data is not include in Preset List you can simply add the Data by Youreself...... The "Preset" is just a Config with already set valus by the system..... You can creat the same manual by create a new config and do all the entrys like Adress, Typ, Size, Bitmask, BCD and so on by youreself.

Summary.... If you use a AddOn download the "List" for FSUIPC Offest form the AddOn Homepage and use this value to build your configs.
If you use a standard Aircraft you can work with presets..... But its finaly more effectiv if you also download the "Standard FSUIPC List" .... there all useable Offsets are listed and explane..... So you can build every config you need.
Good Luck !
2019-11-09 01:28
icon