MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
linx69
Hi, I would like to know how many 2560 cards should be used to manage the 737 PMDG overhead.
only the FWD overhead
2019-11-02 09:09
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi linx,

the forward Overhead-Panel has 342 Pins for all the switches, encoders, LEDs, rotary-switches, Buttons and Displays. This are ~7 MEGAs if you distribute the parts cleverly on the boards (only one stepper per board!).
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-11-02 11:16
krono
Hi
Just on a side note. If you use an external power supply for the mega board then you can have multiple steppers running off the one board as its only the current draw that limits the number. At the moment I am running 10 steppers off one board with room for more. The power supply is a simple power adapter with a high enough current rating to do the job.

Ken
2019-11-05 01:05
pizman82
Supporter
iconkrono:

Hi
Just on a side note. If you use an external power supply for the mega board then you can have multiple steppers running off the one board as its only the current draw that limits the number. At the moment I am running 10 steppers off one board with room for more. The power supply is a simple power adapter with a high enough current rating to do the job.

Ken

Not agree.

The problem is not the available power..... the problem is the Limit of the Mega !

A Mega recommend a maximum Power of 200mA on a Ground Pin and 800mA per Board summary ( As i know from Data Sheet )
So its no mater how many power you get by your suply..... If a Stepper need 300-500 mA then already TWO Motors reach or override the overall limit.

As Stephan said in the past..... Its possible to power the motor itself by a external suply..... Then you can use multiple Motors on a Board...... But not via Board Power suply as i know.
Sure.... You can maby use 10 Motors.... But nobody garantee that your board get killed if multiple motors turn same time.

Whatever...... If he already need 7 or more Megas to connect all the stuff he can simply split the motors over multiple boards without problems.
Good Luck !
2019-11-05 01:41
krono
Hi
Yes you are correct on the limit of the mega. I forgot to mention that I use a sensor shield V2 that allows the motor driver boards to be powered from an external supply and to not over loading the mega. The sensor shield was about $5.00 so was economically sound and allows everything to run off the one mega. I have been running the sim this way slowly adding to it as I built the gauges for the last 12 months with no problems. The mega board is still only needing to run off the USB power and only the shield and steppers are off the external power.

Ken
2019-11-05 03:34
pizman82
Supporter
:thumbup:

Now we talk about the same thing ;)
Good Luck !
2019-11-05 03:53
icon