MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
titobcn86
Hi all,

here I attach a video where you can see my problem: https://youtu.be/T3hIFR9rfbw

The 7 seg is getting crazy when I have it connected with the MF Firmware. The 7 seg is working perfect as you can see later on when I upload a testing program using Arduino IDE. I even try to move it to check if it can be a bad connection, but it keeps working. I have tried it with another 7seg and it happens the same.

The chip used is the MAX7219CWG. The connections are well done in the right pins.

Any idea?
2019-08-13 13:47
pizman82
Supporter
Hi

Multiple Problems .....
Maby the bad Video Qualitiy (Cant see what display is showing) AND a missing Start/Stop of Record information also confusing me..... So i write you just my first ideas! Maby you can clear up some facts.

1. Missing Restart
After Uploading a Device AND/OR after changeing the settings of a Output Config that controll a Display, a RESTART is high recommend.
- After Uploading the device a Restart is 100% needed in case the Max7219 MUST be initialised..... Thats only be done with the Device Uploaded on the NEXT Start of Arduino.
- Also after change the Config Settings that controll a 7Seg Display a Restart is recommend..... Sometimes the "old" config still show something. If you change config to other diggits e.g. then a "RUN" will occure in Missing or wrong Outputs..... If you restart Arduino AND Mobiflight the System get into a "startup" State where no wrong things can be currently show and you can startup "clear and empty" with your new config.

2. Wrong Adress.
I see in your Video just a Display on a Max Chip that is connected to your Breadboard. WHY do you use "NUM:2" ??
I See jsut one Display.... So that should be NUM1 ( Both, in Device Settings and in Output Config)

3. Mixpup of Software
If the Video not include a "unvisible Time Cut" then you swap directly from Mobiflight Test to the Arduino Sketch. Thats not Possible !!!!
If Board is correctly set to Mobiflight then the Firmware is overwrite all existing sketches.....
Otherwise if your sketch is running in that case then its logical that Mobiflight cant show correct things cause the MF Firmware is NOT on the Mega.

Was there a "timeswap" i not see or do you realy try to use the Mega in Mobiflight whatever your 7Seg Testsketch is loaded same time ??
Good Luck !
2019-08-14 01:51
titobcn86
Hi pizman,

again, thanks for your prompt support. Displays are blinking and showing 88888888.

1 - I will try that restart and I will let you know.

2 - I used number 2 just to try. Using number 1 was doing the same.

3 - I'm not doing a mixup of software. I upload the MF software when I start it, I show the result in the first part of the video, and then swaped to the sketch and uploaded it to show the second software working.
2019-08-14 12:17
pizman82
Supporter
Hi again.

Thanks for information of Part 3..... In Video i not see the "Cut" and it looks like you do that in a row same time.

About Problem:

In Case the Display work fine without flickering and Missing Diggits/Segments while the Arduino Testing sketch i will say the electrical Part ( wire/solder) is fine. Whatever you should note for future: Max7219 Chips and Displays can produce ERRORS if you just touch the wires for a millisecond..... So normaly we not work with Breadboards here. For a garantee working situatuation it is high recommend to SOLDER all lines correctly. If a line is just occure one millisecond a issue the whole max logic is broke and a restart of Ardunio (and Mobiflight) is needed to initialised it again.

Solution:

I think your Problem is a broke initialisation ..... And Maby also a Error in case of wrong NUM2 Setting .

Please:
1. Delete the Device Entry of your current Display.....
2. Create a NEW one .... Get Sure you use correct Pins Use NUM 1
3. Upload the Stuff
5. Connect your 7 Seg while Arduino is unpowered
6. RESTART Both.... Arduino and Mobiflight
7. Create a OUTPUT Config and choose Device Typ "LED Display" and your 7 Segment.
8. Activate all 8 Checkmarks and use TEST button in the Display Tab below.

If all is fine your Display will show "12345678"

If it show nothing or 88888888 or something strange like confusing single segments or blinking then your electrical Setup is broke.
Good Luck !
2019-08-14 14:06
titobcn86
Hi @pizman82,

I've been out for holidays and now I'm back at work with some bought parts to try again.

I bought a MAX7219 chip, and some 7seg to try welding everything by myself. I'm just trying a 4 digits 7seg. Connections are as following: (https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ca64P_lFsgQ/VxK813A892I/AAAAAAAAJwU/FA95gP7S5h42jpTzfhPg-6m3o2NQ61QlwCLcB/s400/2016-04-16%2B18_52_52-COM-09622-MAX7219-MAX7221.pdf%2B-%2B%255BMAX7219%2BDS%255D%2B-%2BSumatraPDF.png)

I get almost the same result as before. I tried to follow your steps but nothing is working. When I push the TEST button, it lights 2 digits for some miliseconds, and then nothing happens.

Here you can see the new results on a video. It shows what it is doing when I restart the Arduino. Everything is well welded:
https://vimeo.com/user85627520/review/357923774/6161ac396c

Getting crazy! :D
2019-09-04 22:30
DocMoebiuz
Hi there! Unfortunately your link to the last video is not working for me.

Make sure that you have the right pins configured in the board config. The order of the pins in the sketch might not be the same as the order in MobiFlight. I can see that your config says Din=5 CS=7 CLK=6, i find that weird. The order on the module is DIN, CS, CLK and maybe your pins should also be 5,6,7.... not sure, just a guess because I can't really see the wiring on your video.
Additionally, as pizman mentioned, you should definitely set the board config for the 7 segment module to only 1 modules. If you tell the Mobiflight Board that you have two modules connected as a chain, it might get confused. It definitely will not work correctly if you use Module Num 2 in your display config.

Do you have access to an Arduino Mega? I would highly recommend to check with that first. I can see that you use an Arduino Uno and the Uno unfortunately is not so stable... but since it is recognized by MobiFlight you might be lucky at this point.
Have a great day!
Sebastian

MobiFlight - Simply build your own home cockpit for your favorite flight sim - FSX, Prepar3D (FSUIPC), X-Plane (XPUIPC)
2019-09-05 03:49
titobcn86
Hi Sebastian,

The order shouldn't be a problem if every pin is connected in the right connector.

I'm working with an Arduino Mega in my last trials, and the result is the same. Here the right video link: https://vimeo.com/357923774

In that case I use 1 as connected modules. It was 2 in the last video because, as I said, I was trying different configurations just to get something....but it is tried using the value as 1 and was not working neither.
2019-09-05 08:59
pizman82
Supporter
From my point of view 100% Hardware/wire issue.

In the Moment you connect the USB Cable Mobiflight will NOT run..... So there can´t be a command send at this moment.
So the initialise process will start and not work correctly.

In case of dimmed Light situation in the video i can not see the wire logic. (Whatever i couldn´t see it with good light cause here a video is bad.... I High resolution picture is more profitabel and also a including Wire shematic to understand the system.

Summary....
If you use current Mobiflight and Firmware ...... If you use a Arduino MEGA ..... And if you wire the Display correct..... Then it work 100% garanteed.
If not then the Maxchip or Mega is broked..... But i don´t think so.
So i will say.... You have a issue in your wire logic .... Pretty sure a spot where you think its correct (cause same happend in old test) but you make a misstake here.
Good Luck !
2019-09-05 11:02
titobcn86
Hi pizman!

This is the schematic used to wire the MAX7219 and the 7seg used in the last trial: https://ibb.co/FWTPJxT DIN in pin 31 LOAD in pin 35 and CLK in pin 39

I'm electronic engineer, but sometimes I can do mistakes :thumbdown: :cry:
2019-09-05 12:27
DocMoebiuz
If the Board has the correct MobiFlight config the Display should stay black after connecting.

Do you have common cathode display?
Does a different example Arduino sketch work with your current setup?
Have a great day!
Sebastian

MobiFlight - Simply build your own home cockpit for your favorite flight sim - FSX, Prepar3D (FSUIPC), X-Plane (XPUIPC)
2019-09-05 18:19
pizman82
Supporter
Hi again.

iconQuote:

I'm electronic engineer, but sometimes I can do mistakes :thumbdown:

Apollogy if you feel degrade.
Here are users that not know what a ressistor is and others who have 30 Years experience in electronics. I can´t know that fact.

About Problem.
Basicly this shematic looks good..... Whatever i not build a selftmade Max myself before.

Finaly a easy idea.... Do you own/ or have access to a ordinary Max7219 Display Tube like this ..... https://www.amazon.de/8-Digit-Display-MAX7219-Digital-Control/dp/B00P9277BE.
Here the electrical setup is standard ..... And it work 100% ( aslong its not broke when order from chineese import ;) )
IF this part will work in your setup then the your Hardware or Electrical wire logic must be the problem.

Another ideas.
Get sure you connect to 5v ( not 3,5) ..... Get sure resistor is not to big ( Working Power must be over 3,5 f i remember right.
Check Breadboard setup for a short circuit..... Maby a wrong jumperwire in the +5v or GRD Bridge. or a touching of jumperwires on maxchip contacts

Last idea.... If you realy think problem is Board/Software side .... Make a complete Reset of Board (EEPROM Clear Sketch) and flash Firmware again.
We have some reports of users that a Board that is used multiple times for Arduino IDE and Mobiflight swapps can have a issue sometimes..... Deleting it by EEPROM Clear should solve this !

Hope you find a way.
Good Luck !
2019-09-06 00:22
titobcn86
Hallo pizman,

No problem! I didn't feel degraded! I really understand that here there are people with no electronics aknowledge....and as I said, sometimes I can do mistakes....talking about electronics it's so easy to do something wrong!

I already have some MAX7219 tubes, and I had to reball the weldings cause almost all of them had working problems. Now they are working perfect!

But....I want to make my own PCB just to use yellow light 7segs and distribute them as I want. In that case Im designing the PCB to have everything well welded and not to use wiring.

I will let you know :) Thanks for your prompt support.
2019-09-06 16:37
pizman82
Supporter
Wonderfull

Just for information.....

If you check the link from my last posting you will see the Max7219 Tubes we all here use and recommend.
Those ( With green PCB .... Instead the standard Blue PCB boards) have removeable Diggit Blocks.... So the Displays are NOT soldered.

This is verry proffitable when you like to use other Displays ( size/color) cause here you not need to handle with the small Max Chips and diodes etc.....
Here you just pull off the Red 4 Digit blocks and you have a 12 Pin Header on each side ( 4x Diggit 8x Seg/DP) If you have "precision Pins" you can directly connect them.... If Not you must just build a connector with Dupont Wires, Crimp Contacts or simply cutted Pins of old LED, resistors or so stuff.

Whatever you chose.... This was just a hint for you to prevent seting of the Chip.... Cause this is already done in the Tubes.
Good Luck !
2019-09-06 17:43
DocMoebiuz
If you are trying to create your own modules that’s perfectly fine. If you have verified that MobiFlight works for you with the off-the-shelf tubes then you know that if it doesn’t work with your custom setup the issue must be on that end.

Make sure that you not accidentally use common anode displays because it’s easy to miss this detail. They behave like yours, showing all 8s when driven with the wrong chip. Typically the Max7219 are meant to drive common cathode displays.
Have a great day!
Sebastian

2019-09-06 23:49
icon