MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
titobcn86
Hi all,

here I attach a video where you can see my problem: https://youtu.be/T3hIFR9rfbw

The 7 seg is getting crazy when I have it connected with the MF Firmware. The 7 seg is working perfect as you can see later on when I upload a testing program using Arduino IDE. I even try to move it to check if it can be a bad connection, but it keeps working. I have tried it with another 7seg and it happens the same.

The chip used is the MAX7219CWG. The connections are well done in the right pins.

Any idea?
2019-08-13 13:47
pizman82
Supporter
Hi

Multiple Problems .....
Maby the bad Video Qualitiy (Cant see what display is showing) AND a missing Start/Stop of Record information also confusing me..... So i write you just my first ideas! Maby you can clear up some facts.

1. Missing Restart
After Uploading a Device AND/OR after changeing the settings of a Output Config that controll a Display, a RESTART is high recommend.
- After Uploading the device a Restart is 100% needed in case the Max7219 MUST be initialised..... Thats only be done with the Device Uploaded on the NEXT Start of Arduino.
- Also after change the Config Settings that controll a 7Seg Display a Restart is recommend..... Sometimes the "old" config still show something. If you change config to other diggits e.g. then a "RUN" will occure in Missing or wrong Outputs..... If you restart Arduino AND Mobiflight the System get into a "startup" State where no wrong things can be currently show and you can startup "clear and empty" with your new config.

2. Wrong Adress.
I see in your Video just a Display on a Max Chip that is connected to your Breadboard. WHY do you use "NUM:2" ??
I See jsut one Display.... So that should be NUM1 ( Both, in Device Settings and in Output Config)

3. Mixpup of Software
If the Video not include a "unvisible Time Cut" then you swap directly from Mobiflight Test to the Arduino Sketch. Thats not Possible !!!!
If Board is correctly set to Mobiflight then the Firmware is overwrite all existing sketches.....
Otherwise if your sketch is running in that case then its logical that Mobiflight cant show correct things cause the MF Firmware is NOT on the Mega.

Was there a "timeswap" i not see or do you realy try to use the Mega in Mobiflight whatever your 7Seg Testsketch is loaded same time ??
Good Luck !
2019-08-14 01:51
titobcn86
Hi pizman,

again, thanks for your prompt support. Displays are blinking and showing 88888888.

1 - I will try that restart and I will let you know.

2 - I used number 2 just to try. Using number 1 was doing the same.

3 - I'm not doing a mixup of software. I upload the MF software when I start it, I show the result in the first part of the video, and then swaped to the sketch and uploaded it to show the second software working.
2019-08-14 12:17
pizman82
Supporter
Hi again.

Thanks for information of Part 3..... In Video i not see the "Cut" and it looks like you do that in a row same time.

About Problem:

In Case the Display work fine without flickering and Missing Diggits/Segments while the Arduino Testing sketch i will say the electrical Part ( wire/solder) is fine. Whatever you should note for future: Max7219 Chips and Displays can produce ERRORS if you just touch the wires for a millisecond..... So normaly we not work with Breadboards here. For a garantee working situatuation it is high recommend to SOLDER all lines correctly. If a line is just occure one millisecond a issue the whole max logic is broke and a restart of Ardunio (and Mobiflight) is needed to initialised it again.

Solution:

I think your Problem is a broke initialisation ..... And Maby also a Error in case of wrong NUM2 Setting .

Please:
1. Delete the Device Entry of your current Display.....
2. Create a NEW one .... Get Sure you use correct Pins Use NUM 1
3. Upload the Stuff
5. Connect your 7 Seg while Arduino is unpowered
6. RESTART Both.... Arduino and Mobiflight
7. Create a OUTPUT Config and choose Device Typ "LED Display" and your 7 Segment.
8. Activate all 8 Checkmarks and use TEST button in the Display Tab below.

If all is fine your Display will show "12345678"

If it show nothing or 88888888 or something strange like confusing single segments or blinking then your electrical Setup is broke.
Good Luck !
2019-08-14 14:06
icon