MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
Qiverkill
Hi there

This Video = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn7xtLioEdY&feature=youtu.be

Wondering if i could use MF and Mega treat it as a switch as this 5v solenoid either on or off to control the A/T Disconnect . On the MCP .

This is my 5v Solarnoid . http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/datasheets/Robotics/ZHO-420S.pdf

Regards
Glen
2019-08-14 09:57
pizman82
Supporter
Hi

At first please use SEARCH function (Maby Keyword Solonoid).
There exist multiple topics about the use of Solonoid.... Also for the MCP AT Switch.

NOTE: I personaly high recommend to use a ON-ON Switch here ( best way a ON-ON 2 Chanel switch .... as i explane later)
The additional ON allow us more posible Inputs as a ON-OFF Switch..... And thats verry usefull in this "tricky" situation.

Basicly this is possible..... Only 2 problematic facts are important:
1. ADDON Aircraft. What you need is a "indication" when the AT Switch should be moved.... Does your AddOn Support those Data ?
Mostly we use the Offset of "Position from AT Switch" in that case... For example PMDG737 have a Offset like this !

2. You must "override" the Solonoid in some cases..... So most users also include a "relais" that cut power of solonoid temporary . Here also a "Indication" is needed.
That can be done with a custom Offset System and a Relais or electrical with a DUAL Chanel switch..... In that case your AT Switch will controll same time the Function ( Chanel 1 wired to MegaPin like currently) AND the Solonoid Power (Chanel 2 that simply "cut" the GRD wire from your Solonoid)

The Key of this Point 2 "cut" System is the follow:
For example you controll the solonoid with the Switch Offset..... Then Solonoid (in video) is in "inner" Position aslong AT is ON and it must be in "outer" Position (Powered pushing) when the virtual Switch get to OFF.

Problem now is simple.... If you startup your aircraft the switch (and the Virtual switch) are OFF..... So the Solonoid would be powered and in Outer Position...... If you now like to activate the switch by hand this is not possible cause the Swap Mechanic is blocking the way ( in that example its still outside) . It is also powered and not allow us to work against the solonoid power
( Not use ure solonoid.... Maby the force is verry small and you can push it by hand..... If its strong it will block completly the force of your finger/switch moving.)

In That case we use the trick i said.... We "Cut" the Power of Solonoid alsong our Real switch is in OFF Position. So we can move the switch to ON without working against the solonoid (cause its unpowered that moment) .... And after we reach the ON Point the Power come allive on Solonoid..... But then it is controlled to inner position because now in Sim the virtual switch is also still ON) .

Same way reverse while action occure..... The solonoid will act when virtual switch turn to OFF ..... It will move the mechanic.....And normaly it would stay now in OUTER Position .... BUT In the moment the Real switch get into OFF our "cut" mechanic starts again and the solonoid get temporary unpowered and is not blocking the next manual input.

Hope you understand the basics...... Also understand that you can do this system also with other solonoid typs like PUSH/PULL/HOLD (diferent mechanical logic then)

Just request if you need more help !
Good Luck !
2019-08-14 13:50
Qiverkill
Hi Pizman

Thank you , Yes i knid of understand will experiment a bit .

I did use the search function but was bit hard translating german with translate .

Regards
Glen
2019-08-15 08:07
Qiverkill
Sorry yes will be pmdg 737NG
2019-08-15 08:08
Qiverkill
IN YOUR SOLUTION 2

So you would only have 1 wire connected to the Mega not the ground ?
2019-08-15 08:10
pizman82
Supporter
Sorry i have no Designer tool to show a a example circuit diagramm.

Basicly you have 2 Wire Systems....

1. For the ordinary Input switch you have a line from GRD (Arduino) to SWITCH (PinA) And Back from SWITCH ( PinB ) to Arduino PinX ( The Pin where you define this Input Button)

2. For the Cut you can use 2 Ways....

2A. With Custom Offset : Here you USe a Relais ..... This is wired like a LED. ( Define a Output Pin like for LED)
Line goes from GRD Arduino ---> Input Relais Controll Circuit And back from Output Control Circuit ----> Arduino Pin Y ( Where you set the LED Ouptut)
The "Working Circuit" of Relais simply cut the Power Line of Solonoid.... So Solonoid is wired 5v (Power suply or Arduino).----> Relais IN/OUT----> GRD

2B With a Dual Switch
Here you not need a Relais and a second Config/Device in Mobiflight.
The Switch Input is same like above ..... But Here the Solonoid Line is simply wired to the Second "Chanel" of your switch. .... So only in ON Position this chanel is closed an Solonoid circuit is powerd.

I know thats bad to explane... Please tell us if you understand. If not Stephan got a Programm to make a short Picture of that and maby can show you more easy .
Good Luck !
2019-08-15 16:33
Qiverkill
I kind of understand :) , will have a play around .

But if Stephan has a picture would be gracious .

Regards
Glen
2019-08-15 22:25
Qiverkill
Hi Pizman

What type of relay would i need , Still confused ..

Regards
Glen
2019-08-17 07:18
pizman82
Supporter
Hi my friend.

If i not professional i can´t give you a good hint.
For those things like relais Stephan is much better. He works lots af years with electronics.... So he know what he do.

At the moment he is a little rare here in case of a injury. Pretty sure he will come back and restart support like in the past when he is back healthy again. Just give him 1-2 weeks for recover.
Good Luck !
2019-08-17 12:08
Qiverkill
Hi Pizman

Do you think you could diagram how you mean for on on switch pls .

Or if any 1 has already done is more than welcome to their opinion

Regards
Glen
2019-08-20 05:41
icon