MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
pluckas
Supporter
I'm thinking about constructing a small radio stack (ATC, NAV x 2, COM, ADF) using OpenCockpits. There are two options:

1. Buy plug and play modules, connecting each via a USB hub back to the PC.

2. Buy the basic radio IDC modules together with a master and USB expansion cards so that there is only one USB cable back to the PC..

Ignoring cost, option 1 seems the easiest, but I already have many USB devices already connected via hubs, (including two Mobiflights) together with USB screens, joysticks etc. I wonder if running 5 modules into yet another hub might be a problem.

Option 2 is the more "sensible" - ie, only one USB cable 'powering' all 5 modules via the interface card. But perhaps this is no different to using a single powered USB hub for 5 modules?

Any comments from those with knowledge of the potential impact when using so many USB hubs and devices?

Paul
2019-05-31 09:07
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Paul,

the number of USB-connections (direct or via Hub) is limited by you OS. Normally Win 10 can manage up to 127 USB-Devices (with restrictions). That is depending of you PC-Hardware.

I myself have 2 10s USB-hubs (external powered). Here I use 7 slots for MobiFlight and 6 direct with P3D/FSUIPC and 2 Leo Bodnar-interface cards without any problems.
Here are users who have built their complete HC with MF-modules and they do not have any problems with USB.
How many USB-connections will you install for your construction at all?
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-05-31 10:06
pluckas
Supporter
Hi Stephan,

Thanks for the sanity check. I guess at the end of the day it probably only makes a small amount of difference with either case for this particular application. It all ends up as USB eventually.

I may actually make these myself and interface with Mobiflight. The lack of email response from vendors the primary motivation ;-)

Paul
2019-06-01 12:34
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Paul,

everything ends up as USB? Oh, I hope the next beef ends up as a steak on my grill and not somewhere as a USB. That would be sad ;)
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-06-01 13:59
icon