MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
Jeanl2
Hello everyone!

I was going to do a small radio box for COM1 with 2 rotary encoders, 2 displays, and a push button for switching frequencies. I planned on using an Arduino Nano, as i am familiar with using this board from previous projects, and bought one because i assumed it would work with MobiFlight, but i was dissappointed it didn't :(. I'm now going to buy an Arduino MEGA, but it's a bit big for the box i planned on 3D Printing for the radio, and while browsing ebay for one, i found an Arduino Mega PRO-MINI, which should be the same as the regular Mega, but just to avoid another uninformed purchase, i wanted to ask the forums if this board is compatible with MobiFlight.
Here's an image of one of them:

On a side question, i was wondering: why is MobiFlight not compatible with the Arduino Nano. If it has the same Microcontroller (AtMega328) and uses the same source code as the UNO, shouldn't it be compatible, or be very easy to implement into the application?

Thanks,
Jean
2019-04-14 07:40
slammer88
Bought one from Aliexpress, waiting for its arrival, then we'll see whether it is compatible. But as Pizman said, it should be, as it's the same in its foundation.
2019-04-14 09:12
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Jean,

welcome to MobiFlight!

The MEGA and the NANO might have the same µC, but the board-capabilities are different. The MEGA has a 4k EEPROM and the NANO only 1k EEPROM. Next is the Flash Memory: MEGA 256kB (minus 8kB for the bootloader) and the NANO 32kB.

If you look to the firmware you should see it has a scope of 71,650 kB. Not enough space for the NANO. I hope this answer your question.

The MEGA pro Mini has the same capabilities as the MEGA pro R3. The difference is that he is smaller (~50%) and the pins are on other locations than as the regular MEGA. The performance is the same.
So if you buy the Pro Mini be so kind to report the result.
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-04-14 16:33
Jeanl2
Hi Stephan,

i will wait for slammer88's response to see if it works before buying it.
And yes, that answers my question. I have used the nano before with other programs that do the same as MobiFlight but for racing simulators and so i didn't think about the limited memory of the nano.

Thanks,
Jean
2019-04-14 17:13
Jeanl2
I bought the mega pro-mini and i’m happy to say it works with MobiFlight! I’m excited to see my project together. Thanks!
2019-05-28 01:20
StephanHo
Supporter
Great, thanks for your confirmation.
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-05-28 17:44
slammer88
confirmed, it's working!
2019-05-28 21:07
StephanHo
Supporter