MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
Japmaco
Im building a own radio panels, and using the mobiflight for my 7 segments and encoders.

Its just that the 2560 is huge. So i bought a Pro Micro since it says on the front page its supported. I want a small board like the nano or the pro micro to just get the job done with minimal space usage.

But no luck there.

It doesnt find the board.

Any ideas? Or is not implemented yet?
2016-08-30 16:23
DocMoebiuz
Hi Japmaco,

welcome to the MobiFlight community!

The pro micro were supported for a long time but I must admit that I haven't tested it thoroughly ultimately.
Some of the new features like stepper and servos are not yet supported due to limited space on the SRAM.

I appreciate your feedback and give time until the weekend or so to look into it. In the meantime please try to use an arduino Mega until you are satisfied with your setup and you need to go smaller.
Have a great day!
Sebastian

MobiFlight - Simply build your own home cockpit for your favorite flight sim - FSX, Prepar3D (FSUIPC), X-Plane (XPUIPC)
2016-08-31 04:20
DocMoebiuz
I have moved this topic to the English section
Have a great day!
Sebastian

MobiFlight - Simply build your own home cockpit for your favorite flight sim - FSX, Prepar3D (FSUIPC), X-Plane (XPUIPC)
2016-08-31 04:22
Japmaco
Any more news on supported boards like nano or the pro micro?
Otherwise i have to order the sparkfun micro thats supported on the front page. Bc that One is also small sized.

The thing is i bought the nano and the pro micro bc its the same chipset and i "thought" it was compatible when it says "or compatible board" on the Mobiflight page :)
2016-09-19 01:42
slammer88
This is nonsense that micro is not supported. I've made a small flap lever for myself and i fitted a pro micro inside. however it does not work properly, even if says its supported.

Doc, do something man, you're leaving us alone here..
2019-03-30 16:04
pizman82
Supporter
Hi Slammer.

Basicly your right.... I also told Sebastian he should remove the other Boards from the Main Page of www.mobiflight.com to avoid confusion !

Whatever you can not say your not informed. We talk here in multiple topics since 3 Years about the Problematic and the official statement of Sebastian is clear !

" Mobiflight have a 100% support for Arduino MEGA . All current functions work on the Mega.... And if not we try to fix problems and support users in there requests.

The other Boards ( Specialy the UNO and also the Micro) are working without garantees!
The Firmware and the option to use a UNO or MICRO is NOT Removed . Users who work with that stuff be able to do this already with current Version 7.5.2
BUT We not test or support those boards for now and in future . See the Micro and Uno as a "relict" of the past. Not removed but no longer developed.
That means for example .... As LCD Displays come into MF with 7.5 we test it for the MEGA and it work. If it also work for the Micro then its OK for us..... If not we don´t care about that.

Summary.
I not have a Micro and not test it but as i know simple things like LED and Buttons work there. Motors maby not. LCD i dont know.
If you like no problems then simply go the recommend way and use a Mega.... If you like your Micro or Uno then use it... But not expect support or hotfixes if there occure problems !
Good Luck !
2019-03-30 16:44
slammer88
I know that other Arduino boards are not supported, haven't been worked on and probably never be. That's the point I really wonder though..

Why? I mean, why if someone using MobiFlight, then must use Mega, otherwise it won't work? I know it has lots of pins and stuff but I think you should not force users on using one and only interface. It doesn't make much sense..

As everyone already knows, MobiFlight has only a few alternatives, which is actually a great advantage for its market value. Sebastian should see this and do something about it, so that MobiFlight would be the best!

iconpizman82:

Hi Slammer.

Basicly your right.... I also told Sebastian he should remove the other Boards from the Main Page of www.mobiflight.com to avoid confusion !

Whatever you can not say your not informed. We talk here in multiple topics since 3 Years about the Problematic and the official statement of Sebastian is clear !

" Mobiflight have a 100% support for Arduino MEGA . All current functions work on the Mega.... And if not we try to fix problems and support users in there requests.

The other Boards ( Specialy the UNO and also the Micro) are working without garantees!
The Firmware and the option to use a UNO or MICRO is NOT Removed . Users who work with that stuff be able to do this already with current Version 7.5.2
BUT We not test or support those boards for now and in future . See the Micro and Uno as a "relict" of the past. Not removed but no longer developed.
That means for example .... As LCD Displays come into MF with 7.5 we test it for the MEGA and it work. If it also work for the Micro then its OK for us..... If not we don´t care about that.

Summary.
I not have a Micro and not test it but as i know simple things like LED and Buttons work there. Motors maby not. LCD i dont know.
If you like no problems then simply go the recommend way and use a Mega.... If you like your Micro or Uno then use it... But not expect support or hotfixes if there occure problems !

2019-03-30 20:03
thatchi
It stated there. There are physical different with other arduino, i.e. SRAM space. That why. Use at your own risk and there no guaranty it is 100% compatible.
2019-03-30 20:37
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi slammer,
if I remember correctly, you have not posted any requests for the Pro Micro, but the Mega already.

The fact is that Sebastian already announced 2 1/2 years ago, the Pro Micro no longer support.
Since I can remember and I'm only here since 2016 here in the forum, here is always recommended only the MEGA (synonymous of me). The development effort is just too big to keep these three different boards up to date. Sebastian also told us why the Pro Micro falls out: its SRAM is too small for the Mobiflight application. The other way around: Mobiflight has evolved, but both Pro Micro and the UNO are not up to the challenge. Therefore, at some point a decision had to be made to operate model maintenance or to further develop the software according to the requirements. The result is known.

Now being angry about it, although the situation has been known for 30 months, I think a bit inappropriate. I can understand your appeal to Sebastian, although I do not see any time to invest in both the Pro Micro and the UNO, as they do not meet the software requirements.

This forum has, as far as I know, more than 3000 users, of which almost all now use the MEGA. This is the direction that is going. If I look at the wishes of some users, I think it is possible that this could one day also question the MEGA. May this day not come ...

I think that, unfortunately, you will have no choice but to accept this, even if it's gritting your teeth. I can understand you, but as I said earlier, Mobiflight has evolved and that means that the users who chose Pro Micro or the UNO are excluded from the further development of Mobiflight because the hardware is what it does does not have.

Maybe the MEGA 2560 Pro Mini, which pizman has linked, is a real alternative for you, because with 38 x 55 mm (by the way: with USB interface) it is really small.

I would be happy to continue reading from you many constructive contributions, as you have already written here in the past.
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-03-31 01:21
pizman82
Supporter
@ Slammer

In the past we talk a lot.... So i think we can check this also constructive. ( I understand your not happy, today... But animosity against Seb is not the solution)

In case "time" is the most rar recource in the world and we know Sebastian have verry less of it, then we must "filter" requests verry strickly.

It make finaly no sence to invest time in a feature that is not so important as a other .
So i always do a raiting for a request (Personal opinion) and give it a Value from 0 to 10 ... 0=Not needed .... 10= Must Have
Always in dependence to the Mobiflight Masterplan !

MAJOR Target of Mobiflight is.....
1. Make a FULL Cockpit as Real as Possible with all Outputs! (Inputs can also be done with FSUIPC... So this is not a Prime Target but should also be done if possible)
2. CHEAP ( So no expensive OC Cards, Arcaze, LeoBodnars etc are needed)
3. EASY ( No Programming Skills shpould be needed .... Only a basic knowledge about Informatik and Math)

Lets check Your Request for UNO and MICRO support with my methode. (Only my personal opinion ... I Speak NOT for Sebastian here)

Is the requested Featur basicly possible
NO (YES) . As Stephan said is the Memeory of that Boards to small to handle the MF Firmware with its current futures. "Maby" a lowcut Version only for Buttons and LED would be possible.... But it is not planed to support different versions for different Controllers by Sebastian at the moment .

Is the requested Feature a "must have" to build something that is NOT possible with current Technics?
NO All can be done with MEGA already.

Is the Requested feature more cheap
NO (YES) In relation with Pin Numbers the UNO/Micro will be finaly more expensive. Only if you need a special Element with for example only 2 Pins then its cheaper... But maby you save in a whole Cockpit 20-30 $ .... Thats not enough i think.... A saving of 200+$ would be a better argument here.

Is the requested feature more easy
NO Same Wire work.... Same work to set it in MF .... No difference at all.

Is the requested Feature more usefull as the current technic ( If that still exist in a other way already)
NO Dimensions is a argument.... But as i linked you can buy smaller Megas, too. Whatever i still said multiple times.... the Controller NOT must be include in the panel.... It can also be set 30cm away. Simply build it somewhere else where more space is available.... So "Space" is no argument for me.

What Users (and how many) will benefit from this feature ..... How many have disadvantage with it. (Subjective estimate)
I think nobody get a disadvantage..... Benefit have only Users that already own a Micro/Uno and also "want" to use it (whatever why) . New users can still plan with Megas only and order only them. So "maby" 1-2 % of Users will "need it" ..... 2-10% of users will maby use it if feature come alive in the future but not active request for it .... 90% dont care about.

Summary..... All over i will give this request a rating of maximum "1" ( Out of 10)
So i hope you understand me. I not block a Request if i not like it. I think about it and rate it. And i always discusse EVERY Request with Stephan and Sebastian.
Sure you can bring new arguments to "increase" my personal rating. No idea is finaly dead.... it still sleeps until new aspects pop up.

AT LEAST....

I not like it to criticize Sebastian.... I already think MF is Freeware and we can not demand his work.... Its his hobby and if he like he will do... if not we must accept.
But i basicly agree with you ! I also feel a bit sad that the development is nearly Stop the last year.
I got so many ideas and suggestions. In my Brain "Mobiflight 2.0" is still in progress :rolleyes:

But finaly..... Its not usefull to cry or to grumble. I think the best way is to support!
Every minute i reply to user questions here in Forum , Sebastian not must do this himself and maby find time to write new scripts on that day.
If i figure out a new feature in all details and give him a complete building instruction, then he just need to programm it and not must think about it himself.
HELPING is more profitable as DESIGNATE!
Good Luck !
2019-03-31 05:12
slammer88
Well, if only I had known about the Mega mini, I would not even bother with Micro tbh. Already Ordered one from Aliexpress.

Thing is, however, not a mere request of mine or grumping about Pro Mini. It's actually more about MobiFlight itself. Something better and newer can always be done to improve the software, you see? Yes, it's freeware, yes maybe it's a pastime activity of Sebastian, but things got serious in time. The only alternative is SimVim, which is solely designed for XP. Mobi can get advantage of this and get ahead.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a loyal user of Mobi like 2 years, maybe more, and I just wish the best for this community & software.
2019-03-31 09:42
icon