MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
nengerman
I have an arduino mega 2560 28BYJ-48 stepper motor with ULN2003 driver for a wetcompas.
My setup is:
pin 1: 2
pin 2: 3
pin 3: 4
Pin 4: 5
offset: 02cc
value type: int
size in bytes: 8
mask: 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Sim / Stepper 3600 2048
Test Wert 1800
"Transforming" $ * 10
The stepper motor becomes warm, is that normal?
2019-03-13 09:16
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi nengerman,

welcome to Mobiflight!

To your question: Yes it is normal that a stepper motor becomes warm. The 28BYH-48 is a small stepper for only 5V (there are also 12V variations).
The quiescent current is nearly 180-200 mA and if it is not used, the stepper has a holding current at the same value. This currentis then not converted into motion, but in heat. So he becomes warm.
It is not advisable to connect more than one stepper per module, unless an external power supply is used. Otherwise there is a danger that the module will consume too much power and thus the limit will be exceeded. Therefore I recommend steppers always an external power supply. This also has the advantage that you can connect several stepper to the power supply and the modules are less burdened.
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-03-13 18:59
icon