MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

icon
Phindar
Hi Everyone,

I am currently building my lower overhead and will be using mobiflight to assign annunciators and switchs. Has anyone completed a 737 mobiflight overhead if so how many mega boards did you use and for what ?

look forward to seeing some feedback on this topic

kind regards
Nathan
2019-01-09 08:41
Ridgeandgable
Hi

I'm about 98% completed, just need to add a few of the motors for the gauges.

I have used 3 Mega Boards( For LED's and pots) and 3 Leo Bodner cards 32 button (Just for toggles) as there was a bug using toggles with megas on mines. I should have enough space to complete with the stepper motors.

I didn't wire up the pots for the Wipers tho as I don't fly in Virtual cockpit, and I didn't wire up the Cabin Heating Controls either as I deemed this pointless, all LED's I did wire
2019-01-09 13:11
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi Phindar,

for a complete Forward Overhead Panel für the PMDG B737 NGX you need 342 Pins. This are 7 MEGA-Modules.
This includes all Annunicators, Motors, Gauges, Encoders etc.

You can realize this like Ridgeandgable with a mixture of MEGAs and Bodnars or only with MEGAs.
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-01-10 00:26
Phindar
Hey guys ,

Thanks for your reply , I have completed the laser engraving of my panels and annunciators and just about ready to start my wiring ,so i was interested in which route others have taken as far as the wiring aspects, As i was gonna go 100% mobiflight setup but i have has some issues with toggle switch's not detecting the command all the time. Some times i have to flick the toggle twice for it to detect the switch action . Ridgeandgable i did the same with the wipers and heating stuff i just installed a couple of cheap switchs as dummies,kind of pointless .

Stephen thanks for your reply mate , 7 mega's sounds great for the pocket but as they are a little bulky could be fun hiding them out of sight :lol: .

I have modified an old ATX power supply to power 12V for backlighting , 5V for steppers motors and stuff and a powered USB Hub for my mega's as i learnt that the hard way :lol:

But seriously thanks for taking the time to reply !!
As i enjoy reading peoples thoughts ,challenges and advice in the big wide world of flight simulation :thumbup:

Kind Regards
2019-01-10 07:13
Ridgeandgable
Hi

I did the same with an old ATX case

I bought a roll of Alarm cable from Screwfix, 100m for £20 which is 8 core, create cable to use as it's thin.

I secured my megas directly behind the light panels and installed the four leo cards at the top of the overhead, isn't effected by the backlighting at all.

The toggle switching was an issue for me, I know pizman has said to enable debug mode and this fixed the issue but had an adverse effect on the encoders instead, so j decided to go with leo Bodnar for this instead. I believe to the new update of 7.5.1 has fixed this issue with toggles and although I have updated, it's to much work to rip out the leo bodnar cards to test it.

I still have some work on the MIP to do, so will test the updated version here with a mega board as they are much cheaper than Leo's.

I think to wire the entire overhead took me about 14 hours, I did the LEDs first then start switches.

Good luck
2019-01-10 11:26
Phindar
hey mate,

I have updated my mobiflight and i will test that out hopefully it has been fixed , As for the mega's i am using screw shields on mine as it makes things a little easier to connect up .
I have a roll of cat 5 cable laying around which i was thinking of using to wire mine up with as well . what resistor value are you using on your LED's single or duel annunciator box's ?

thanks again :thumbup:
2019-01-10 13:27
Ridgeandgable
For the Blue Leds, I went with 220ohms wired individually, and the Amber, I used 47ohm in pairs, 1 Resistor per 2 leds, I didn't want them to bright or to dim. I think for the green I used 110ohm again, bright enough for the effect I needed

I'm sure I read somewhere that 220 was fine for all colours, but some were to bright or too dim so I adjust until I was happy
2019-01-10 13:54
pizman82
Supporter
Hi.

As wrote in other topic.... The Problem is already not fixed. We was so hopefully that 7.5.1 work but it will not.
Maby we can fix this in near future.

WHATEVER.... I also said that a combination with LeoBodnar ( Or the new VJOY tool of Mobiflight) will be already the best solution.
If you have a System that work fine with your LeoBodnars then please NOT rework it. Whatever Mobiflight fix the problem in the future.

The basic strategy is simple....
For Latching Buttons and Rotary switches simply use Bodnar/VJoy
For Pots use Bodnars or self build Joystick Controllers.
For Encoders and all Outputs use Mobiflight and Arduino Mega.

Then the "Logging Mode Bug" is no longer a problem for you and it not cares you if we can fix this ever.
Good Luck !
2019-01-10 17:21
Phindar
hey guys ,

yeah i did read that as well about 220 ohm resistors and thanks again , That will give me a good ball park to start with and thanks pizman for your comments as well .
greatly appreciate all the advice .
2019-01-12 03:02
Phindar
hi all,

does anyone have a list overhead LEDs which are simulated and dummys ?

Thanks all
2019-01-27 05:58
pizman82
Supporter
Hi

I get no List.... But you can simply use the PMDG Offset List ( Include in your FSUIPC Folder /modules/fsuipc documents)
There all existing Outputs are listed.

Basicly nearly all Outputs are available.... Only "Dummys" i know at the moment are the Voice Recorder Status Lights and the Dimmed Valve Lights.
Everything else is basicly possible to build !
Good Luck !
2019-01-27 15:12
Phindar
Hi

yes i forgot about that offset list its been a while since i used that :lol: .

Thanks
2019-01-28 01:12
icon