MobiFlight Community Support

Welcome to the forum for MobiFlight! Feel free to reach out to the community in case you have questions, issues or just want to share great ideas or details about your latest home cockpit project.

You like MobiFlight? Donate via PayPal and support the MobiFlight development. Thanks! 

Go to page 1Go to page 012Go to page 2Go to page 2
Ridgeandgable
Hi Guys

Managed to build my MCP eventually but I realised when I was building and testing, I set everything for Default Boeing and not PMDG 737

I've setup the Altitude with encoder which is working, but jumping up in 500's when I turn it, I'm using event ID 70032 and para 8192 & 16384

Is there something else to do for PMDG?
2018-11-08 18:35
pizman82
Supporter
Thats not normal.

At first please confirm you do one time a Restart after you change something. Sometimes a new device occure in those issues.... Reset Mega ( Via disconnect/Reconnect it from USB ).... Restart Mobiflight and Restart Simulator..... Is problem still occure ?

If problem still exist you must try to find out where the problem is located....

For example try another function in your PMDG with this encoder.... For example Heading.... Does it also jump by 5 degrees instead of 1 degrees ?
OR
Try this encoder with a standard Aircraft Function (NOT PMDG)
OR Try another Encoder with your config....

YOU must basicly find out....
Is Problem in Hardware ( broke encoder)
Is Problem in Hardware setting ( For example wrong Encoder settings like 1:4 for a 1:1 )
Is Problem on Mobiflight Side
Is Problem on Sim Side.

Please do some testings and try to find the problem... then i can try to fix it for you !
Good Luck !
2018-11-08 22:56
Binki
To pizman82. You touched upon a problem I was searching a solution for and i stumble on this post. When I use an encoder, for any of the rotary functions in PMDG, heading, course etc. the display always increases or decreases in increments of 5 degree. I cannot seems to get the encoder to work in increments of 1 degree for some reason. Is there a solution for that? Thanks
2018-11-30 00:49
pizman82
Supporter
Hi
This is not reported by all users... so a PMDG problem is not the reason i think.

As i said above.... Its your work guys to find out the basic reason of problem.

Please do the same i explane above....

I think at first you must find out.... Is only one command executed BUT it will change value 5 time.... OR is simply a issue in your System so a turning of Encoder by ONE Detent will execute multiple commands.

Lots of ways to find out:
1. Use Logging Mode of Mobiflight to see exactly what Input is detected and what command is executed.
OR
2. Make a config and use "Keysend" for Encoder Left and Right ( For example A and B ) Then open a writing programm and turn Encoder left-right-left-right and so on.
If there is written "ABABAB then command is executed one time... If you see something like "AAAABBBBAAAABBBB" then its wrong and we have found the problem.

If command is correctly work only one time then you need to find out if problem is PMDG.
Simply controll a Standard EventID ( Like Heading) in a Standard Aircraft (Like Cessna) .
Is problem still there ?

Summary.... I can just help or think about a solution if you explore the whole problem and not only report one symptom !

Thanks !
Good Luck !
2018-11-30 01:51
Binki
I tried the standard FSX 737 (non PMDG) aircraft and the encoder works well, no skipping by 5 digits. I also tested in Output Mappings and the Output Value also goes up and down in increments of 1. I also tried the Lognin Debug, but the values in the display are not consistent ex 453; 538; 971.... I cannot determine why in PMDG the value increments are by 5. Whet I tried altitude, the value increment by 500 and not 100.

I could not do the test you suggested as '...a config and use "Keysend" for Encoder Left and Right ( For example A and B ) Then open a writing programm and turn Encoder left-right-left-right and so on.'. I don't know how to set it up.

Do you have any idea what the problem may be?
2018-12-22 07:13
pizman82
Supporter
Thats sounds strange.

Just sum up the facts.

You say with your current hardware the problem only occure in PMDG. So you test THIS Encoder with THIS Mega for both things ( PMDG Command and STANDARD Command )
And you say in Standard Aircraft a Event is work only 1x.... In PMDG it increase value by 5! Correct ?

If Yes then the problem must be in PMDG or Sim ( normaly unbeliveable )

Not hear this before but i think next possible workaround is to check the Versions of PMDG, FSUIPC and SIM.

Please get sure....
1. You have a up to date Simulator ( And tell us by the way what Sim you use... FSX or P3D)
2. You have a up to date FSUIPC that is correctly fr your sim
( Note FSX work with v4.9xxx ... P3Dv3 also..... But P3Dv4 needs FSUIPC v 5.xxxx )
3. You have a up to date PMDG . For FSX its Servicepack 1d (Delta) .. For P3D i dont know. Check the PMDG Homepage !
Good Luck !
2018-12-22 13:02
Binki
Thanks for getting back and Happy Holidays.

I've reinstalled the FSX and also downloaded the updated version of PMDG, but the problem occurs again. I have both services packs installed in FSX also. The FSUIPC is v4.9xxx.

I'm really confused as to what may cause this problem. I can also take a video of the problem and post it on youtube for you to see it. And, yes, I'm using FSX.

I was also able to do some additional tests. I programed PMDG through the CDU options where I assigned specific keys to increase or decrease heading, course, IAS etc. expecting the problem will not exist if i control them through key. Unfortunately, I get the same result as with the encoder and more specifically. If i start from 000, then I get 001, 002, 003, 004, 005, 007, 010, 014, 019, 024, 029, 034.....I i change the direction, I get very similar reading. It starts with increment of 1, then gradually the increments increases to 5, once at five, the increments stay at 5 digits. So the increment by 5 digits does not take place immediately, only after 3 of 4 movements. It is very strange.

I have also updated the FSUIPC to the newest version 4.974 and I still get the same result :(.

I hope there is a solution.

Looking forward hearing from you.
[Last edited by Binki, 2018-12-27 04:55]
2018-12-26 17:57
pizman82
Supporter
You not need to make a video. Just try to find the issue.

Again i can not see the problem at the moment.

the point i can not understand is the difference between PMDG and a standard Aircraft. Basicly i would think thats a Hardware issue. But then the problem normaly must occure also in a standard aircraft.

A Idea for testing. Please set 2 BUTTONS to your Mega.
Use for Button 1 "ON PRESS" the Left Command ( Same like you use with your encoder)
Use for Button 2 "ON PRESS" the Right command ( again same like in encoder)

Now Run Mobiflight and simply press Buttons instead of turning the encoders.

Same Problem ?

Also please try out to use Admin Mode for Sim and Mobiflight.... OR Try to use NON Admin mode for Both !
Good Luck !
2019-01-02 05:33
StephanHo
Supporter
Hi,

do you know the type of your encoder? How many detents does he need for an impulse?

Is this encoder type set correctly on the Mobiflight device and stored on the module?
Grüße,
Stephan
2019-01-02 22:48
pizman82
Supporter
iconStephanHo:

Hi,

do you know the type of your encoder? How many detents does he need for an impulse?

Is this encoder type set correctly on the Mobiflight device and stored on the module?

I think the same Stephan.... a 1:4 Encoder with a 1:1 Setting will send 4 commands maby.
BUT Why 5 Commands.... and Why only in PMDG and not in Standard Aircrafts :confused:
Good Luck !
2019-01-03 05:08
Ridgeandgable
Hi Guys

I have the same issue with my autopilot, always have, but I've managed to live with it.

It seems that if I turn my encoders at a normal pace, it jumps up in five so heading would be 000 - 005 - 110 and so on, but if I go extra slow, I get turning right - 001 - 003 - 005 and again extra slow on the left turn allows me to fine tune to the heading I want which would be for example 007 (turn right from 0, would be - 000 - 005-0010) then slow left turn would be 009-007 kind of thing

I have the latest build with the new update just in January but the issue is still there, again, I've learnt to live with this for now, annoying as it is. I've tried to set the detent on devices, instead of 1 detent 11, I tried 1 detent 00 but no difference.

Forgot to mention, I also confirm that this is linked only to PMDG 737ngx for me, normal aircraft works perfect
2019-01-08 20:59
Ridgeandgable
Hi

Just done a test flight with 98% of my sim complete so just wanted to update.

The issue I had with the encoders jumping up by 5 has now stopped. The only thing that I've changed was to turn off fsuioc logging. Now the encoders are working perfectly. May not fix everyone's issues, but made a huge difference to mines.

Windows 10
Fsx sp2
Pmdg 737 ngx
Mobi 7.5.1
2019-01-10 01:14
pizman82
Supporter
hhhm.

PMDG got a own "on fast" logic.

If you turn your encoder exactly 10 Detents for example a slow turning shuld increase then exactly by 10 values... For example Heading 100-101-102-103 till 110.
If you turn it faster then this 10 commands ocure in much more values... For example you will reach 140 then ( for example 40 steps by same number of detents)

THIS is basicly correct. You can see this also by your Mouse in the virtual cockpit... A Slow turn increase value different to a fast turn of mouswheel ( with same range of moving the wheel)

"Maby" the enabled FSUIPC Logging occure in a issue in the PMDG itself that a single slow detent is internal shown as a fast run.

For Testing:

If possible use a Joystick.... And get into FSUIPC and use a Button on it and controll the same EventID and Parameter like you do in Mobiflight.
If a Button Press also increase Value by 5 then the issue must be in FSUIPC or PMDG itself !
Good Luck !
2019-01-10 17:08
Binki
Thanks for getting back.

In have used the switch of the encoder to move the dial as recommended and still get the same results, increments of 5. I have also run the FSX and Mobiflight as Administrator with the same problem. I'm using EC11 Rotary Encoder, here is a link of the exact encoder I'm using https://www.creatroninc.com/product/ec11-rotary-encoder-with-switch/?search_query=encoder&results=27.

Let me know if this helps.
2019-01-13 03:02
Binki
Hi Ridgeandgable, could you please elaborate on how you "turned of the fsuipc logging". When I go to fsuipc tab while the simulator is running, I cannot find this function. Thanks in advance.
2019-01-13 03:11
Go to page 1Go to page 012Go to page 2Go to page 2